forum

[web] Language Specific Forums: Marking threads as off-topic

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +34
Topic Starter
MoonShade
Old request for the German subforum
Background
We would like to inform you about the history of the German subforum. Up until a few days ago, no one seemed to care about us, this community. It wasn't bothering us at all. We created normal threads including topics like osu! gameplay, who the best player is, and even creating some off-topic threads which were mostly fun pastimes to us.

Those fun-threads, which were usually threads for forum games or highly-frequent discussions, were quite widely used and accepted, with many being happy to interact on even the most basic of levels by simply posting without having any expectations for content or high standards. Those threads were kept running by people who wanted to have a bit of fun together, so that Germans could associate and hang out with other Germans on the forum. That was okay. It seemed like most people accepted it as a rather known part of the osu! German forums. It was accepted, because no one was forced to even post there or like it. We're mostly referring to several threads like "Rate the Avatar Above You", threads that were not that big of a deal. Many people enjoyed posting there, absolutely harming nobody. It was one of the most simple, yet influential factors in keeping the German forums active and friendly. Virtually anyone could let off steam in them, rather than arguing in actual contentually relevant threads.

The change
A few days ago, the situation at hand changed suddenly and drastically. Active threads which were created months or years ago, were locked quite abruptly. At first, no reason was given at all, except "spam related thread, live with it". This was very unexpected because we all thought that, as we just have one big subforum for the German community, we were free to post threads of any kind as long as they don't contain any offensive, illegal, or similar material. Moreover, as mentioned previously, those threads had already existed for years and no one ever cared for them; they were widely accepted by almost all users on the forums, and those who didn't like them easily ignored and bypassed them.

What to do?
As the situation still predominantly exists, more and more Germans are becoming upset. We were told to use the off-topic section of the forum or to chat ingame, but the off-topic section is in English. As peppy had said himself, about 75% of the osu! community cannot speak proper English or none at all, so we believe this isn't a viable solution to the problem.
As for the chat suggestion, we think it is entirely agreeable that chatting is something completely different than posting on a forum. Chatting is a temporary real-time conversation, whereas posting on the forums offers a more alternate, complex way of sharing ideas, text and media. Threads like "Post your Desktop" indubitably don't work within chat limitations.
The biggest concern seems to be: since every post made within the German subforum counts towards the post-counter, one-word responses and posts done in "spam" in off-topic threads were also counted - at least that's the reason we were generally given.

Our suggestion
Since the post-count seems to be the predominant problem here, we have come up with two ways to handle this situation:
  1. An off-topic/spam section for the German subforum without post-counting
  2. The complete disabling of post counting in the German subforum and the permission to post unrelated fun-threads again
  3. Another idea: p/1527284
This is not a request to give senseless spam free reign, we just want a few threads to keep us occupied and give us the ability to interact with each other in a more casual sense. We strongly insist to be responsible and reasonable with such concerns, it's because these threads have been a long-established part of the German community that has suddenly been shut down, and we'd like to retain at least some of it.
We'd like to hope that our point has been made clear and is open for discussion. As for now, we request that those threads are not locked. We just need either a place to put them or a disabled post-count on the forum. We'd appreciate any constructive responses, since we really aspire to change something.

This is a collaborative request which was created and is supported by the following people:
Anonymus, Aront, Barofioso, bomber34, Chir0n, Daiya, DampfNudel, Jalatiphra, Kael, L i d a N, Luna, MoonShade, Necro Neko, Nickname128, OnosakiHito, PsychoSkill, ratchetclank32, Shadowhachi, Suzu02, Tanzklaue, TheNutritiousGuy, Tom94, Wehzy, xBourbon_Kid, xcherry
I would like to change this request a little bit, because not only the German, but all language subforums are dealing with that problem (see the old request). It seems like an off-topic subforum for each language specific forum is a problem, so I suggest the following alternative:

We should have the ability to mark threads as off-topic, in all language specific subforums.
  1. As someone starts a thread in a language specific subforum, he can choose to mark this thread as off-topic:
  2. Those threads are marked in a special way so everyone can see that this thread is an off-topic thread:
  3. Threads marked as off-topic threads have a disabled post-counter. Furthermore, it is allowed to post any language-specific threads which would also be allowed in the main off-topic section of the osu! forum.
  4. Things like a filter for those threads would be nice too. With this, people won't get bothered by threads they don't want to see:
This way, we can post off-topic threads in our language again without needing a ton of extra sub-forums. Suggestions and constructive criticism is appreciated.
Sakura
Most of the reasons you want the German off-topic you can already make do within the regular rules on your subforum, it's just forum games have their own place in this forum, and spam related threads have no place at all, i don't mind "Share your desktop" kind of threads (only one was locked, since there's no reason for there to be 2 that are active) and friendly discussion as long as i dont see pages of posts with just 1 or 2 words (which is the main reason the threads were locked).

As for a German off-topic, well i'd support that, as long as every other language gets their own as well.
Jalatiphra
yes that is the whole point of the request sakura.

improve language specific forums for EVERYONE.
I personally dont see a technological reason for not increasing board depth (sub forums in sub forums).
Topic Starter
MoonShade

Sakura Hana wrote:

[...]as long as i dont see pages of posts with just 1 or 2 words (which is the main reason the threads were locked.
Well, those 1 or 2 words in the "Rate the avatar above you" thread were fitting in the context of rating something on a 1-10 basis, so for me, that would be a valid post in a forum game if such would get allowed. But that is my opinion, though.

For the other languages, I would support off-topic sections as well, as this is kind of the same in all language subforums.
Topic Starter
MoonShade
Another possible solution I came up with:

If you don't want to create another sub-forum level, I think this would work well, too.
Kitsunemimi
I think that ^ is a great idea, and I totally support this.
Mercurial

Sakura Hana wrote:

As for a German off-topic, well i'd support that, as long as every other language gets their own as well.

Every language deserves their "off-topic" thread.
theowest
Marking a thread as off-topic in a genius idea.
Laharl

iMercurial wrote:

Spam and nonsense for all!
theowest

Kael wrote:

iMercurial wrote:

Spam and nonsense for all!
They just want to have fun.
Cyclohexane
No support, off-topic doesn't mean spam random shit, but rather talk about anything you damn feel like.
We've had our OT thread for more than 3 years now and it's alive and well, I reckon you guys should do the same.
Topic Starter
MoonShade

Mr Color wrote:

No support, off-topic doesn't mean spam random shit, but rather talk about anything you damn feel like.
Have you even red our request? It's exactly what this is all about. Thought I made this clear with bold text and everything.

It's about these threads as well as those threads, just language specific. Thus we don't want anything which isn't already on the forums.
theowest
Most language specific forums have some sort of off-topic thread.

They want to play their games with their own people, their own friends, using their own language.
halo398
well it only gives a tiny descript why dont u say where to post threads for ex announcements is for where u post comments to beatmaps post here liek that itll be easier
Topic Starter
MoonShade

halo398 wrote:

well it only gives a tiny descript why dont u say where to post threads for ex announcements is for where u post comments to beatmaps post here liek that itll be easier
I can't really understand your sentence or your point, can you please explain what you mean?
Derekku

MoonShade wrote:

If you don't want to create another sub-forum level, I think this would work well, too.
Genius.
Seph

MoonShade wrote:

someone give this guy a cookie. also support.
marshallracer
support on those nice examples

do we btw get ever new votes? I have still 0 after a whole year ...
theowest
oh god that's genius.

"ignore off-topic threads"

yes please.
My1_old
that's very nic3, I want it too, it sucks seeing that only the English subforum has an option for offtiopic
Stefan
Bump.
And support.
dkun
+support, well needed
show more