forum

AR 8 good for reading?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
I feel like when I play AR 8 I become better at the game and read better on everything including higher AR. It's a great warmup for me. Anyone else?
Almost
Playing low AR doesn't make your reading better. Playing higher object density does. There's a difference.
Deva
Yes playing lower AR is good for your reading.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
Unsure who to believe ecksdee
vinnicci
Juuuuuuuuul
near 500 hours of ar 7 and 8 here and when i play ar 9 now, i'm still feeling playing whack a mole, so at least for me, no, low ar is not helping to read high ar better.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

near 500 hours of ar 7 and 8 here and when i play ar 9 now, i'm still feeling playing whack a mole, so at least for me, no, low ar is not helping to read high ar better.

That's interesting. Most people feel the opposite.

Maybe you were destined to be low AR god
Deva

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

Of course it's not going to help you with something you can't do at all.

Playing AR8 didn't help me with AR10 but when it comes to AR9 that I'm extremely comfortable with it has helped me a lot.

It's weird that you have almost 700hrs and are stil a 6 digit tho
Juuuuuuuuul
yep maybe it will become usefull when i'll be comfortable with ar9, anyway i don't care about rank and as long as i'm improving my own scores while having fun, i'm fine. I'm weird. (and old)
Almost

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Unsure who to believe ecksdee

Believe me, there's a myth going around by people who don't really understand anything that playing lower AR improves your reading. This advice is really bad because if you misinterpret it (like most people seem to) you'll generally be playing maps that are actually easier to read since lower AR maps are also generally lower starred maps (and lower starred maps generally have lower object density).

The advice people should be giving is: playing maps that are edited down to a lower AR or EZ mod will improve your reading.
PinkNightmares

Almost wrote:

Believe me, there's a myth going around by people who don't really understand anything that playing lower AR improves your reading. This advice is really bad because if you misinterpret it (like most people seem to) you'll generally be playing maps that are actually easier to read since lower AR maps are also generally lower starred maps (and lower starred maps generally have lower object density).

The advice people should be giving is: playing maps that are edited down to a lower AR or EZ mod will improve your reading.
Most 4* AR8 will have a higher density than the modern tvsize maps people are used to. Playing higher density maps will gradually increase your reading ability. You don't have to play EZ or some dumb AR edit to improve.
KupcaH

B1oody wrote:

Most 4* AR8 will have a higher density than the modern tvsize maps people are used to. Playing higher density maps will gradually increase your reading ability. You don't have to play EZ or some dumb AR edit to improve.
This guy knows
Almost

B1oody wrote:

With the same argument, you can find many more higher density base AR9 and AR10 maps than AR8 maps. If anything, EZ or 'dumb' AR edits just gives you more variety than just playing 4* AR8 maps. Plus, it lets you modulate the reading difficulty better.
PinkNightmares

Almost wrote:

With the same argument, you can find many more higher density base AR9 and AR10 maps than AR8 maps.
AR8 hit objects will be shown on the screen for a longer time (150/300ms longer than ar9/10) so given the same bpm the density will be higher for AR8.

Almost wrote:

If anything, EZ or 'dumb' AR edits just gives you more variety than just playing 4* AR8 maps. Plus, it lets you modulate the reading difficulty better.
EZ has a steep learning curve and you have to go down a few stars if you want to get into it. It's not for everyone.
Deva
This thread is surprisingly amusing lmao
N0thingSpecial
AR10 no mod is a sin
Almost

B1oody wrote:

AR8 hit objects will be shown on the screen for a longer time (150/300ms longer than ar9/10) so given the same bpm the density will be higher for AR8.

Yes, I know that lowering the AR of a specific map will increase the object density, that wasn't the point I was getting at. My point is that there is a positive correlation between star rating and reading difficulty. You'll just automatically improve your reading by playing harder songs (of course if you aren't trying to improve like a spastic).

B1oody wrote:

EZ has a steep learning curve and you have to go down a few stars if you want to get into it. It's not for everyone.

I will admit EZ isn't the best (because of the larger circle size actually adds a gimmicky increase to reading difficulty) but it's better practice for reading than any AR8 4* map. However, this is why I mention AR edits as it's by far the best practice for reading you can get.