forum

[Post Reply:n=17291] An Advice from Criticisms about Modding

posted
Total Posts

How does you (as a modder) approach the mapper on telling things?

Light and polite, since I am not sure if the mapper would agree on it.
30.00%
Balanced, since I do not know what type of person am I dealing.
40.00%
Straightforward, so that the mapper can clearly get what is wrong.
30.00%
Harsh as fk. One should face comments whether the mapper likes it or not.
0.00%
Total votes: 10
Topic Starter
Aiseca
Note:
Since Posting my response in a Forum game thread (particilarly: Status Update) is not the best choice and probably a wall of text, I have decided to put it as a separate thread instead. If you have only the intent of being an idiot and replying in this thread non-sense, please go out and find a life. This issue I think is not just confined in mapping, it is somewhat psychological as well in nature and needs fruitful responses.
-------
So, I saw jxrhythmer2002's post about something relatable: Mapping dilemmas, particularly things a mapper would not want to hear. I do not have sufficient info on what those are but the way it was described, it seems too much to bear. I made a thread to have my say about it (and also, not ruining the Forum game to where I found it)

I might not be able to say all of things I would like to say here but hear this from me:

Don't come up with sudden rash decisions. If they said it needs remap, it doesn't mean that they attack you on a personal scale, It only does mean that your work can be improved. It can be made acceptable and be loved and admired by others along the way.

Read their comments.
Find the common problem they see in it.
Then look at your map at the editor or even testplay it personally or Auto. Multiple times if needed.
Then think what could be a solution to fix this.
Just repeat till satisfied,
then proceed finding someone to mod again to see if the problem still persists.
If still persists, ask someone to help up.

Hearing criticisms about your work is a part of modding; it cannot be separated. Most modders, especially starters, tend to be less harsh towards others when modding just to avoid arguments that really doesn't be brought up as a huge issue (in actuality).

Let me tell you, I've been remapping a single full length for three times now, and I still keep on going. I keep on getting comments of bad rhythm choices and other stuff. I've been requesting to queues daily (4-6 I think) and most of the time, they ignored my set.

And to tell you this: I somewhat felt a bit of rage on a queue when they rejected my set for NM just because of HS. I started to get angry because I thought I made HS of my mapset is fine. There's nothing wrong in my eyes. then I settled, then requests again...

A few days after two mods come by.....
Those persons I got from M4M dropped comments that made me do remapping for the 3rd time. It is very disappointing to hear them say, but what can I do?

I asked for mods.
I asked for other's comments about my set.
And (I should) be ready to be slapped with mods that I do not even want to see...

On these comments, to be honest at first, I don't even want to agree at any of them. Cause why not? I think my map is fine.

But as days go by and mapping stuff at the background and seeing other maps, I started to think that they do have a point. I was wrong. And I need to redo all of the things I have created for three weeks.

Yes, it is disappointing.
Yes, it sometimes makes you demotivated seeing negative comments.
But that's how modding rolls. I have to get used at it if I want to improve.

I mean, It's not that bad to hear honest comments that will totally ruin your vision of your map, but with these honest comments, it will also make you as a better mapper and modder: to understand the reasons why they brought up these kind of mods to your mapset. Modding cannot be all safe wording and sugar coating, doing it doesn't help the mapper or you either... It is just making things worse.

Don't take harsh comments or mods too seriously. Period. Just breathe, find a way to resolve it and take helpful mods as a lesson, not scolding.

Text pieces cannot physically kill you. It is just a fkin block of comment.
Also, don't think of it negatively too much, it is unnecessary to do so. Even if it's toxicity levels were too high, don't.
Just don't, please.

[End of Text]
MisakiTobisawa-
Hey that's me

So yeah the modder trashed basically my overall aesthetics and jump structure. I felt frustrated not because he was harsh, but because he was a friend and he wasn't being specific or even constructive.

Here's the map if you would like to see. https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/881522/#osu
Topic Starter
Aiseca

jxrhythmer2002 wrote:

Hey that's me

So yeah the modder trashed basically my overall aesthetics and jump structure. I felt frustrated not because he was harsh, but because he was a friend and he wasn't being specific or even constructive.

Here's the map if you would like to see. https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/881522/#osu

If the comment is too broad to exactly pinpoint the problem, then it is not helping.
If the modder cannot advise alternatives or come up with a better way to fix the problem, then it is not also helping.
AyeAries
o! std modding is scary
Topic Starter
Aiseca

- Aries - wrote:

o! std modding is scary

Just have to deal with it or leave it; one way or the other.
abraker
The heck happened to this thread's title?
cravenfiner

abraker wrote:

The heck happened to this thread's title?

i think this thread is replying to a thread of that id
abraker
Remember when thread responses to other threads was outlawed? I remember
johnmedina999
What the fuck is this shit
ColdTooth

- Aries - wrote:

o! std modding is scary
levesterz

ColdTooth wrote:

- Aries - wrote:

o! std modding is scary
Serraionga

o

is my favorite game
ColdTooth
cool serrai very i love it
johnmedina999

Serraionga wrote:

o

is my favorite game
FUCK
Topic Starter
Aiseca

Serraionga wrote:

o

is my favorite game

Loops?
MisakiTobisawa-
Man, my map's discussion page managed to become a warzone and I got silenced (twice) for being a fucking idiot. Just see it for yourself!

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/881522/discussion/-/generalAll
abraker
this seriously did not need a post

this belongs here: https://old.ppy.sh/forum/t/548218
levesterz

Serraionga wrote:

o

is my favorite game
Owh
Topic Starter
Aiseca

abraker wrote:

this seriously did not need a post

this belongs here: https://old.ppy.sh/forum/t/548218

Like I said, this is a my response to a specific post, and not minding if it is becoming a 'drama' or something. I put this as a post rather than posting my response to drama thread because (for me) I cannot take this lightly.

I am responding to a post indirectly pointing towards about mapping (particularly mod comments in general), not the 'drama' that's in it.

If I can sense that this map discussion had gone more haywire, then I should have posted my response there obviously.

But oh well, I made this as a separate thread for a specific topic not really aiming to make the situation funny nor okay.

At least, I made my concern about it.
abraker
@Aiseca

My original comment actually had "thread" instead of "post". My tiny phone display did not allow me to notice this was page 2 of the thread which weird title I should have remembered, but for some reason thought it is a copy of your thread. So why am I saying that? I thought jxrhythmer2002 was OP, and I was in fact replaying to him. I changed it to "post" after realizing, but I did not anticipate for you to mistake the direction of my reply even after changing to "post". Which brings me to the actual point: the edit did not help.
[-CeMAqpOP-]kee
johnmedina999

semaphore wrote:

everyone in this subforum is too fucking retarded to figure out how to place a slider bro i don't think you should try that here, but i still voted
Except we have several people who have ranked several maps.
abraker
Nah he is onto something
show more