forum

Save/upload screenshot as progressive jpg rather than baseline [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ziin
Virtually everything supports progressive jpegs nowadays, and unlike adam7 interlacing on png, high dimension progressive jpgs are smaller than baseline jpgs. Why doesn't osu! use progressive?

I guess bandwidth doesn't matter very much in the long run, but there are over 300k images being hosted through the shift+f12 method, and using progressive reduced my screenshot folder of 200 images down 10%. 10% smaller file sizes means 10% less storage space, 10% faster upload and download speeds, and 10% less data transferred for those of us with a data cap.

Progressive jpegs look better too, since they're interlaced.
IppE
Supporting, baseline is pants-on-head retarded.

Actually, my mp3 player doesn't support progressive jpegs!
peppy
I prefer the look of baseline loading, personally.
Topic Starter
ziin
well there goes that...
Shiirn
/thread
peppy
Well don't you agree? If anything, I'd change it to webp, but support for that is still a bit lacking (safari/ie are yet to support, i think).
Topic Starter
ziin
occasionally there's use for having the top viewable, but I prefer having things come into focus rather than slowly load the image. While it's loading there's nothing but empty space. In this case, the images are screenshots of some score, or some layout of notes. You can tell that from an enlarged tiny image.

Personally I'm going to go for compression efficiency every time though, so webp would be awesome. As you say, total lack of compatibility. IE is unlikely to support it any time soon, older windows OSes can't even use IE9.
peppy
I don't care about IE compatibility personally, but lack of firefox/safari is an issue.