forum

Frequently Asked Questions - Read before Posting!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sakura
Hello guys, to avoid having to answer the same question many times over we've decided to make a FAQ so people can refer here and probably find the answer to the question. First of all make sure you can't find your answer in this thread which has a list of many useful guides.

How can I upload my beatmap to the site?
In the editor go to the File menu, from there click on submit, then click on Standard Submission.

When should I upload my beatmap to the site?
That decission is yours alone to make, however dont submit unfinished maps to Pending Beatmaps, only to Work in Progress/Help.

I just submitted a beatmap, what do I do now?
Do not make a thread here asking others to check your map, instead you can ask in different threads in Modding Queues (Make sure you read the rules from each specific thread beforehand and post only if your map follows those rules), or go into the chatroom click "+New" and select #modreqs from the list in there you can put the link to your map asking for a mod request.

The Ranking Rules and Guidelines request I have a preview point, how do I do that?
First go to the spot in your song where you want the preview point to be, next go in the Timing menu and click on "Select Current Position as Preview Point", please do remember that all difficulties should have the same preview point, to be able to do this, add the preview point before creating additional difficulties, otherwise read below.

I made a mistake! Now how do I match my preview point in all difficulties?
Doing this is a bit more Advanced, but still easy, go into the difficulty you want to copy the preview point from and click on the File Menu and then "Open .osu in notepad", then look for a line at the top that says "PreviewTime:" highlight it's value and copy it, now go into each other difficulty and open it's .osu file and copy the value in the PreviewTime line, if you need any help doing this, feel free to ask in #modhelp

What's the BPM/Offset of this song?
First of all do not link youtube videos when asking this, link your mp3/ogg (or better yet, your map) here so that an accurate timing can be obtained since it's possible for different mp3s of the same song to have slightly different timings, (and it's pretty hard to get a BPM/Offset from a youtube video) that way we are all using the same mp3 as you are.

How do I make a storyboard? / I need help with my storyboard!
You can probably find your answer or ask in this forum.

Anything I need to take into consideration when i'm going for ranking?
Multiple things actually, first of all make sure you've read the Official Ranking Rules and Guidelines, then get people to mod your map, if you're asking this question you probably have no ranked maps so it's advised that you get around 20 Star Priority (each Star is worth 1 SP) then look for a MAT or BAT to get a Bubble on your map, and finally a BAT to get your map ranked! (please remember it's up to the MAT/BAT's discretion if your map is up to ranking standards or not (Ranked map is a priviledge not a right, work for it).

How do I make/add custom hitcircles, hitbursts, hp bars, etc?
Those are called skin elements, they can be either made by you or obtained from other skins (Make sure you ask for permission and give credit otherwise your map may be nuked), If you need any specific skinning help ask in this forum

Error Loading Audio
There are multiple reasons this could happen, first of all make sure the audio filename in each of your .osu files (difficulties) matches the name of your mp3 (Capitalization included) also make sure your mp3 has only standard characters.

I want to grave/delete my beatmap!
Wait a moment and think carefully if you really want to do this. You can't just grave or delete beatmaps on a whim. You first need to wait for your map to have 1 month since the last update; then your map will be moved to the graveyard. While your map is harmless in the graveyard, you may revive it at anytime, should you decide to pick it up again, but after it is in the graveyard, you may delete it forever.

My map duplicated! What should I do?
Contact a QAT and they will delete the duplicate beatmap.

What's a BN?
Members of the Beatmap Nomination Group are responsible primarily for modding the pending beatmaps into the ranking cycle. BN are the people to go to for any modding or advice requests about anything mapping or modding related..

How can I create a Taiko/Catch the Beat beatmap?
You need to go into the editor, open "Song Setup", and in the "Advanced" tab, select the mode in "Allowed Modes" http://puu.sh/trkg.

These are all I can think of right now, if you want to add any feel free to post in this thread.
Mercurial
How can I do a Taiko/Catch the Beat beatmap?

You need to go into your beatmap, open "Song Setup", and into the "Advance" tab, select the mod in "Allowed Modes" http://puu.sh/trkg.
Kyujuroku 96
Just one thing. If you are going to add a mp3 you have to check first if the file is not in read only or you'll get an error message
Kitaruz
Umm, I have a question how do you make the fruit fall off the plate in Beat map mode. It's kind of annoying how it stacks
blissfulyoshi

Kitaruz wrote:

Umm, I have a question how do you make the fruit fall off the plate in Beat map mode. It's kind of annoying how it stacks
Fruit leave a plate everytime there is a new combo, so make sure to add new combos.
Also, next time please make a new topic to ask a question to keep this topic clean.
calendulea
can I ask? .____. how to make a preview points? I'm sorry for this sillydumb question.
blissfulyoshi

Len x Rin wrote:

can I ask? .____. how to make a preview points? I'm sorry for this sillydumb question.
In the editor, look up for the like of drop down menus (File, Edit, View, etc) and select Timing-> Set Current Position as Preview Point.
calendulea

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Len x Rin wrote:

In the editor, look up for the like of drop down menus (File, Edit, View, etc) and select Timing-> Set Current Position as Preview Point.
Thanks! :D
Topic Starter
Sakura
I've added a couple entries concerning preview points just in case.
KindSoul
May I ask a question?
Am I able to request for one of my pending beatmaps to be graveyarded?
Topic Starter
Sakura

KindSoul wrote:

May I ask a question?
Not really, you need to wait 4 weeks and it will graveyard automatically
KindSoul

Sakura wrote:

KindSoul wrote:

May I ask a question?
Oh, that's a bummer :c Thanks and sorry for taking your time.
blissfulyoshi

Sakura wrote:

KindSoul wrote:

May I ask a question?
I updated the FAQ to answer this question about graving because it is quite a common question.
megupoid99
i have a question, how do i make preview music in chorus? (i hope you get it) :D
blissfulyoshi

megupoid99 wrote:

i have a question, how do i make preview music in chorus? (i hope you get it) :D
In the editor, scroll to the time you wan the preview point to be and on the top bar, press Timing-> Set Current Position As Preview Point
megupoid99

blissfulyoshi wrote:

megupoid99 wrote:

In the editor, scroll to the time you wan the preview point to be and on the top bar, press Timing-> Set Current Position As Preview Point
Thanks for your help ;)
asu1235678
i accidentally upload my beatmap to pending,so i need to wait until it go to graveyard,then i can upload to in-work beatmap than request modding help from people??thanks in advance.i already read the FAQs,but still don't undertand something,sorry.
blissfulyoshi
@asu, you only uploaded 1 beatmap so far, so you still have open slots to submit more beatmaps if you want. The waiting for graveyard applies to people who have filled up all of their pending slots (so I don't advise you upload recklessly)
BlueDrox
Uhh... How to make 2 different sound in a slider? Like, the starting of a slider sound is normal hit, and the end of slider sound is normal whistle
blissfulyoshi

BlueDrox wrote:

Uhh... How to make 2 different sound in a slider? Like, the starting of a slider sound is normal hit, and the end of slider sound is normal whistle
To do this, double click on the start of the slider to apply a hitsound to the start of the slider. Double click the end to apply a hitsound to the end of a slider. (For completeness, single clicking a slider will affect that track of the slider)

For your scenario, make a clean slider with not hitsounds and double click the end. Add a whistle hitsound and you are done
BlueDrox
I got it~ Thanks a lot
bookustuchus
I added a background after I posted my beatmap in Work In Progress, do I need to re-upload it to update it?
blissfulyoshi
Yes, you need to reupload for the background to show because there is nothing to make a thumbnail of otherwise.
Trombonophone
How do I edit the information on my beatmap on the website? Specifically, how do I change the listed genre and stuff like that?
blissfulyoshi
At this point in time, only BATs (and higher) can change genre
GodOfBiscuits
I just made a beatmap hwo can i make another difficulty for the beatmap? i dont mean how to make it easier or harder i jsut cant create a new difficulty for the beatmap :SP thx in advance
blissfulyoshi

GodOfBiscuits wrote:

I just made a beatmap hwo can i make another difficulty for the beatmap? i dont mean how to make it easier or harder i jsut cant create a new difficulty for the beatmap :SP thx in advance
In the editor, press File -> Save as New Difficulty...
GodOfBiscuits
alright thx a lot i was scared that might mean that i would delete the old one :o
DeletedUser_5249050
Umm, So I have a question. My skins aren't showing properly. I have two installed as well as the original skin. However, when I switch to the new skins, they stay the same/look the same as the original. How do I fix this? #SendHalp
Bara-
Can you please update the OP?
There are many older things now (MAT/BAT) in the guide which are no longer relevant
Can you do that?
Also, don't forget to add mania as well :P
Stefan

Baraatje123 wrote:

Can you please update the OP?
There are many older things now (MAT/BAT) in the guide which are no longer relevant
Can you do that?
Also, don't forget to add mania as well :P
That will happen.
Some QATs and I are currently working on these issues and make this forum in general more 2015-2016ish, depends how long it takes. :P
WizzelingPoet
I made a Beatmap but when i try to upload the beatmap it says that this beatmap isn't owned by you, but it is? :cry:
Stefan

WizzelingPoet wrote:

I made a Beatmap but when i try to upload the beatmap it says that this beatmap isn't owned by you, but it is? :cry:
Please check this guide: t/332313 and use t/60228 for further help. Locking this thread meanwhile.