forum

How many beatmaps are required in a beatmap set?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vysion
Hi, sorry if the title isn't specific enough. I'm new to creating beatmaps, and I have mapped about 3:50 of one song. I'm looking to get the following questions answered:
1. How many more beatmaps am I required to make for the beatmap set if the hardest map is 6 stars?
2. What difficulty minimum must the easiest beatmap in the set be?

Thanks
OsuMagic360
This section in the ranking criteria about Difficulty Spread, (Beatmapset > Rules > fifth bullet) should help you.

1. there is no definite answer as long as it follows proper diff. spread, it should be fine.
2. depends (link above, then follow stuff in parenthesis after.)

Hope it helped!
-[Shady]-
Here's the direct words from the Ranking Criteria regaring Reasonable Spread:

"Mapsets must have a minimum drain time of 30 seconds.

If the drain time of the highest difficulty is...

...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal. Because osu!mania does not have a difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria yet, an osu!mania beatmapset's Normal difficulty is defined as a difficulty below 2.00 stars. For hybrid beatmapsets that include osu! difficulties, the additional modes’ lowest difficulties cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
...anything higher, the beatmapset is exempt from reasonable spread rules."
lewski
Like the rule posted above says, your lowest diff must be at most a Hard. Expanding on that, since your top diff is 6* it's probably difficult enough that you'll need a lower Expert or high Insane diff and a mid to low Insane in addition to the aforementioned Hard. You might be fine with just a high Insane and a high Hard, but BNs and QATs might not accept such a difficult bottom diff Hard.