forum

@ osu! Standard mode players: Why don't you play Taiko?

posted
Total Posts

Why don't you play Taiko?

Lack of beginner maps that are meant for Taiko mode.
14.99%
The game mode doesn't look fun to me.
25.06%
I tried playing it, but was having difficulties learning so I gave up / quit.
45.19%
Other (Please Specify / Post in the thread your reason)
14.77%
Total votes: 447
show more
Aqo

trololol123 wrote:

I actually get sometimes good rankings in taiko (like top 40). I'm proud of myself that I'm capable of getting good rankings in taiko without even playing it for a long time. But I don't play taiko mode really much, I just prefer standard mode.
Try playing taiko-specific difficulties instead of translates of osu-standard difficulties, as almost nobody plays the translates (since they're not actually good for taiko).
Rokusho

Aqo wrote:

trololol123 wrote:

I actually get sometimes good rankings in taiko (like top 40). I'm proud of myself that I'm capable of getting good rankings in taiko without even playing it for a long time. But I don't play taiko mode really much, I just prefer standard mode.
Try playing taiko-specific difficulties instead of translates of osu-standard difficulties, as almost nobody plays the translates (since they're not actually good for taiko).
Yes I agree almost no one plays the osu-standard difficulties. That's why it's pretty much easy to get a high rank, but I find the taiko specific maps mostly too hard to play so... I guess I have to practice some more of those.
Aqo

trololol123 wrote:

I find the taiko specific maps mostly too hard to play so... I guess I have to practice some more of those.
Look for taiko-specific maps that have "Futsuu"(=Normal) and "Muzukashii"(=Hard) in their names. Check OnosakiHito's user profile, he has listings there that will help you find maps.
Mithos

Aqo wrote:

trololol123 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/42973

The hard diff translates really well here. In most cases, the translates are horrible. I still try them if there are no taiko maps on the song.
Iglo0o
It hurts my eyes so bad
Knarf
lol necro
It is difficult... I can't get S in Easy difficulty.
Reyvateil
I have a japanese Wii.

Putting this aside, the Taiko mode in this game is just weird after playing the games in the Wii/PSP games. It's not just about the maps being fast because of whatever reason (feel like playing baisoku in the Wii) but the feeling is different too, which make me dislike playing it in osu.
quaternary
Maps are either mind-numbingly boring Futsuu, or Ura Oni, it seems.
Chizuru94
I really want to play Taiko and enjoyed playing it for a bit, but everytime I focus too much, I get strong eyestrain.
And that hurts badly T_T
-Makishima S-
SoFast
I play taiko sometimes but the sessions don't last long
Endaris
I play Taiko - a bit.
Also made the experience that unlike in std my performance goes down after a session length of 45-60min due to eyestrain and especially high bpm has its own difficulty with the massive blur.
KanoSet
i don't play taiko cuz eye hurts after playing for a bit
and taiko is so hard to play
Chizuru94

[Taiga] wrote:

For your information; I already "knew" this topic was quite a few years old, but why opening a new one when I don't have to say much?
Don't call people idiots just for that reason. People like you are just bored and should focus on things that are more important than calling people that don't deserve it idiots :x

But I managed to play it now without that eyestrain and some more people replied here, so it's open for everyone again, I guess.
But stop insulting people this way! People who do that instead of something more important seem worse than idiots for me :roll:

For the people that still have problems playing Taiko, try looking only left (at least that works best for me) before the circles arrive at the point where you have to press something. Some people prefer to look far right, but that doesn't seem to work well for me cause I mostly have to guess when to hit the keyboard.

So try looking just left, playing a few laps Taiko and practice a bit. After that, you can still decide if it's for you or not. But I guess practice is the key here, as well.
Endaris
Looking at the spot right before the drum is bad for advanced gameplay as you have to read patterns ahead of time. Unless you're a flashlight prodigy of course.
abraker
red-blue-red-red-red-blue-blue-red-bl... no RED-BLUE-RE-- dammit
Buster
Why Taiko Sucks? Its Not That Bad I Do Play Taiko And I Did Play Alot Of Osu Standard And CTB
vinnicci
Hibiya-chan
I don't know how to alternate in Taiko :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just play easy maps that only has singletaps and I only use my left hand to hit (Except the big ones that need both hands)
Frolski
It seems boring.
phionebaby56
I enjoy playing taiko now and then but I can't really play harder maps without getting really dizzy and I fail when it happens so I'm pretty much stuck with kantan and futsuu. There aren't that many really low bpm maps in taiko to train on the harder difficulties.
Botcrazy_old
Hurts my eyes. A lot. I can't focus on the incoming notes without hurting myself and if I focus on the stationary part I can't see what's coming ahead.
The Gambler
Laptop screen produces too much ghosting. It stops me from playing most scroll-type rhythm games.
Yuudachi-kun
I'd rather play mania than taiko if I want to play just a key pressing game
Buster
Its just to hard
i can only beat 1-2* beatmaps with HR 3* nomod 4* with HT 5+* with EZHT and sometimes NF
it makes my eyes hurt and i cant even SS a 1* map
and also every taiko pros are non humans
Spooky_Myon
Idk, maybe its my hard but its kind of hard to see when to tap when the circle reaches the hit-zone. Specially in high AR maps where it is almost impossible for me to see clearly when the red/blue circle touches the hit-zone. [ Just like mania mode]
Antigonos
Apparently my brain thinks red is blue and blue is red, because I always screw up and press the buttons reversed to what they're supposed to be.
vincent77
Gets me dizzy :P Otherwise I would play taiko all day as it looks pretty fun