forum

Is improving at this game really that hard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Timeattack
So I created an account in Dezember last year but barely played. Now I picked it up yesterday again and just completed my first 4 star with 5 hours playtime. It's called: "Ta Malutka Blondynka" I think. I heard many people say that it'll take months to complete a 5 star map though I somewhat doubt thats realistic. I'm not sure if jumping from 4 to 5 star maps is an extremely big jump or if it's simply not that big of a deal for me. I do play a lot of shooters and I have relatively good aim so that could also be helping I guess. Just interested in knowing how much harder 5 star maps are in comparison to 4 star maps basically.
h1k4r4
It took me 2-3 years to pass 5* maps comfortably (I'm a dork with bad hand-eye coordination, though). Everyone's different. Though to answer your question, it only took me a year to pass 4* maps. So, at least for me, getting used to the rhythm density of a 5* maps took a long time. It's gonna be different if you have rhythm game experience beforehand (or have a good aim, like you do).
trindomeer
D-did you spend 3 and a half hours playing the same 4* song over and over, 170 times? I mean, whatever floats your boat, but I somehow doubt you are going to reach 5* in any amount of time like that.

I also came into this game with a lot of mouse accuracy from other games (RTS mainly in my case). It helps, but it's not everything. In my case, lets say that I just randomly try a song I've never seen before and try to clear it (mind you, passing is not really the best metric of success, but more on that later). If the difficulty of the song is mainly through jumps or fast slider transitions, basically things that rely only on mouse accuracy, I'll usually be fine for anything under 4.3*. However, if the song has difficult to read patterns, or (far worse) STREAMS, the limit is a lot more like 3.5-3.7*. Basically, what I am getting at is that the ability to put your mouse where you want it really fast is only half the battle. You also have to be able to keep up with what is going on, and tap at the correct time.

More importantly, I think it's generally advised that you try to achieve high accuracy on as many songs as possible within your comfort range rather than spamming one crazy hard song over and over. People talk about FCing something a lot more often than they talk about passing a song. FC, in case you aren't aware, means full combo. Basically, try to get S or A rank on as many songs as you can with FC in 3-3.5*, and gradually increase that. Of course, sometimes it's just fun to try to play some crazy fast maps, but the only thing you are going to improve by spamming one song is your muscle memory for that one song. Focus on accuracy, and play A TON of different maps (I was given the advice to never hit replay), and I guarantee that within a week passing that 4* map will seem far less challenging.

Finally, to answer your original question of how hard it really is to improve at this game, get yourself some streaming practice maps and prepare to experience true pain.
Deva
It usually takes people a lot of time to be able to pass 4-5* maps. But in their case it's on the first try and with 95+ acc. Not with 170 tries and 30% acc...

It's nice seeing someone who is so dedicated but man you are climbing the wrong mountain.
OneTrueDuceOK
Your profile says u only passed up to 3* but whatever. To be honest, to "improve" at the early stage of Osu is very easy. My theory is because of your body's natural speed is already capable of doing most 1-3* and some low 4*, so you're just actually getting used to the game's mechanics. And all of my friends and me get to 3* in a quiet short amount of time. But when you approach a level you're not naturally capable of (which is 3-4*), that is when the improve parts began. Now when most people, include me and all of friends, moved on to 4*, unlike 1-3*, we are struggling in that range for months before advancing to 5*, and there, we struggle even more. So I guess 4*+ is the range where your body needs to upper its limit, and you know to upper your limit takes a long time.

Edit: if you look into the profile of players who have 3* full combo as top plays and ones who have 4* full combo as top plays, you see there is gonna be a huge amount of difference in their play time. The gap is even bigger with the ones who have 4* full combo as top plays and ones who have 5* as top plays, and one who has 5* as top plays and ones who has 6* as tops. So basically, the higher the range you're getting into, the longer it takes you to get used to it. In 5* or more, it takes months of consistent playing to just show a little bit signs of improving.

Edit 2: And you're literally spaming a low 4*, and it's bad! Why? Go search up Osu tips on YT and the are gonna be people talking about that.
Topic Starter
Timeattack
  1. [img:1337][/img:1337]

OneTrueDuceOK wrote:

Your profile says u only passed up to 3* but whatever. To be honest, to "improve" at the early stage of Osu is very easy. My theory is because of your body's natural speed is already capable of doing most 1-3* and some low 4*, so you're just actually getting used to the game's mechanics. And all of my friends and me get to 3* in a quiet short amount of time. But when you approach a level you're not naturally capable of (which is 3-4*), that is when the improve parts began. Now when most people, include me and all of friends, moved on to 4*, unlike 1-3*, we are struggling in that range for months before advancing to 5*, and there, we struggle even more. So I guess 4*+ is the range where your body needs to upper its limit, and you know to upper your limit takes a long time.

Edit: if you look into the profile of players who have 3* full combo as top plays and ones who have 4* full combo as top plays, you see there is gonna be a huge amount of difference in their play time. The gap is even bigger with the ones who have 4* full combo as top plays and ones who have 5* as top plays, and one who has 5* as top plays and ones who has 6* as tops. So basically, the higher the range you're getting into, the longer it takes you to get used to it. In 5* or more, it takes months of consistent playing to just show a little bit signs of improving.

Edit 2: And you're literally spaming a low 4*, and it's bad! Why? Go search up Osu tips on YT and the are gonna be people talking about that.

I think the map is in a "loved state" so thats why it doesnt show up. I mainly played it that much because it was simply a fun map. i think i got around 87 when i beat it with like 50 atts. it got me used to higher stacked circles and fast mouse movement and I can consistently beat low 3 stars now with usually above 90 when before i tried the level i couldnt even do that. though im rather used to taking on challenges. probably cause i spent 2000 hours playing geometry dash where taking on a few thousands attempts to beat a level is nothing unusual. i know that you obviously don't take thousands of attempts for an osu level but i dont see a problem with taking like a 100 attempts to beat a relatively hard level. sure, i know playing multiple maps is important. and im already doing that but most of the time 4 star maps versions trying to improve. i personally don't care about pp.
Juuuuuuuuul
Passing maps and playing maps are two different things.
Whack a mole.
SpasticSurgeon
Most people will tell you not to retry. And that's good advice and that's the advice you should follow...BUT

I think that retrying is also good as long as you are watching replays OR are trying to fix why you messed up. There comes a point of diminishing returns when you are retrying the same song hoping to get lucky enough to pass or FC, when you clearly just aren't quite good enough yet. Better to leave it, work on the relevant skills, and come back later.

I think it's up to the player to be aware of themselves and toe this line carefully. I think for most people never retrying isn't optimal, but most people are also really bad at having self-control and not trying to FC after 20 retries instead of just being glad you learned and moving on for a while. The temptation to keep trying because you feel like you deserve the pass or FC is very strong, and many people keep retrying and mess up their reading on the map because they automate the easy parts or tilt themselves by not reaching their goal. Ideally, (my opinion) you should retry on maps whenever you are trying to fix something or you were really close to pass or FC, but besides that, just playing blindly and hoping that you won't miss 6 times won't work. This goes double for every 20 retries you have on something.

If you can toe this line, go ahead, but it's a hard one to.

Good rule of thumb is to not retry most of the time.
ADelicateOrange
An average player can pass Airman (7* star map) in 3-5 months. Many players will not be able to ever FC Airman. Star jumps aren't hard to get passes on, but you realize the painful backswing when trying to get those FCs.

5* FCs can be tough to get, but some are stupid easy like these maps
Sotarks's Monster (Expert)
Alumetri's Baka-Baka
Monstrata's Shiori (Nino's Expert)
Sotarks's Kimi no Sei (Reform's Expert)

Here are your free 150-190 pp maps.
Kondou-Shinichi
it isn't that hard, its more time-consuming than diffculty.
im flat

ADelicateOrange wrote:

An average player can pass Airman (7* star map) in 3-5 months. Many players will not be able to ever FC Airman. Star jumps aren't hard to get passes on, but you realize the painful backswing when trying to get those FCs.

Alumetri's Baka-Baka

i struggle to pass airman took me a year passed it once
failed like 200 times lol and i still struggle to pass it
tomatas95
Yeah it's very hard If you want to improve you'll just improve S L O W L Y and when i say slowly it is slowly ah and you might also get ideas like wanting to uninstall this game cuz you aren't improving sometimes too, pretty common, already on a 270h can't fc a single 5* While others can fc at 150 ish.
Topic Starter
Timeattack

im flat wrote:

ADelicateOrange wrote:

Alumetri's Baka-Baka

Aight its been close to 2 months and i just passed my first 7*. its not airman but immortal flame. its like 84% and i know its not good but i still feel somewhat proud of myself honestly.
Endaris
Pray mole.
Congratulations, you're on a good way I'd say. Although the 7* diff of Immortal Flame is an unreasonable shitmap.
Come back once you fall into serious depressions about your accuracy which should probably take another month.

Oh, and maybe don't play Freedom Dive quite as much. While reaching for the stars is good and right there are more reasonable goals for now, for example the vast spectrum of 5-6* Demetori and Dragonforce marathons.
Topic Starter
Timeattack

Endaris wrote:

Pray mole.
Congratulations, you're on a good way I'd say. Although the 7* diff of Immortal Flame is an unreasonable shitmap.
Come back once you fall into serious depressions about your accuracy which should probably take another month.

Oh, and maybe don't play Freedom Dive quite as much. While reaching for the stars is good and right there are more reasonable goals for now, for example the vast spectrum of 5-6* Demetori and Dragonforce marathons.

i figured i shouldnt play freedom dive as much about a week ago since i cant stream anything past 180 right now. for the most part i was messing around with it. im already trying to care as little as possible about acc since ill get more accurate sooner or later automatically (pretty sure thats how that works). in general my main goal right now is to just play a lot. in the end thats the only way to truly improve isnt it?
Endaris
It is, and no you don't get more accurate automatically but in my opinion it's still more beneficial for you to push aim and speed over acc.
im flat

TimeattackYT wrote:

im flat wrote:

ADelicateOrange wrote:

Alumetri's Baka-Baka

Aight its been close to 2 months and i just passed my first 7*. its not airman but immortal flame. its like 84% and i know its not good but i still feel somewhat proud of myself honestly.

i remember passing that it was my first 7* pass 3 months ago I choked my fc on it (1 miss)
Darud3

TimeattackYT wrote:

So I created an account in Dezember last year but barely played. Now I picked it up yesterday again and just completed my first 4 star with 5 hours playtime. It's called: "Ta Malutka Blondynka" I think. I heard many people say that it'll take months to complete a 5 star map though I somewhat doubt thats realistic. I'm not sure if jumping from 4 to 5 star maps is an extremely big jump or if it's simply not that big of a deal for me. I do play a lot of shooters and I have relatively good aim so that could also be helping I guess. Just interested in knowing how much harder 5 star maps are in comparison to 4 star maps basically.

Another bragging post, great lmao. I started playing 3 and 4s when I started, beat my first 5 at 15 hours. It’s different for everyone. Also, the way you did it absolutely does not make you a 4 star player. You played the same one over and over just to barely pass. You can probably play 3s just fine. You accumulated muscle memory for one song and just figured it out.
Topic Starter
Timeattack

Darud3 wrote:

TimeattackYT wrote:

Another bragging post, great lmao. I started playing 3 and 4s when I started, beat my first 5 at 15 hours. It’s different for everyone. Also, the way you did it absolutely does not make you a 4 star player. You played the same one over and over just to barely pass. You can probably play 3s just fine. You accumulated muscle memory for one song and just figured it out.

big yikes that was the post i started about 2 months ago. i made a comment where im currently now yesterday. also looking back this did look pretty retarded. id delete it now but apparently thats not a thing unless im just plain retarded.
k101817
You need to work on your acc, for maps that you push yourself in (assuming it's a simple farm map) speedwise you should be getting 93 acc only because you were consistently late and had many 100s in a row not because you randomly hit 100s due to playing whack a mole.

Personally it took me 3 days to play 3*, 1 week to play 4*, 3 weeks to play 5*, and a month to pass my first 6*.

Generally past 4*, Once a map fully maps out the 1/2s and a few 1/4 streams it doesn't get faster, increases in difficulty are from spacing out the notes and making stacks spaced, as well as more frequent and longer streams but the bpm is the same so once you master that it's actually not too bad doing higher * maps.
mulraf
it took me 4 years to start noticing star rating ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i always said "i play around harder hards to easy insanes" or something like that.