forum

Putting a video preview of beatmaps [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
The_Epic_Backstabber
When I look for beatmaps, I want to know what I'm going to listen to and how the map is generally arranged. I think that putting a preview video in the scores and details section would help show if I want the map or not.
Mercurial
Unsupport.

This could be terribly annoying for players, plus in no other rhythm game exist that possibility.
ReVeNg3r
No support,sry
DerekMcD
It happened to the volume for the preview but it's different. t/20669/

So it might be invalided then.
Kurokami
Unsupport this idea. I think this will be pretty annoying.
DerekMcD
That video preview will be laggy if it's added.
Kurokami
There is no point in support this idea, the website will load slower, the video if the internet connection is slow will be laggy. And of course, what is good in 10 seconds video preview? nothing
DerekMcD

Kurokami wrote:

the video if the internet connection is slow will be laggy.
That's what I just said.
Kurokami

Koro McAlpine wrote:

Kurokami wrote:

the video if the internet connection is slow will be laggy.
That's what I just said.
The whole thing is depends on the internet connection. So with a fast internet, it will not cause problem, but...
ampzz
It's stupid and pointless.

Why you ask?

That's the wonder of this game; you download a beatmap if you generally like the song, if the map is, in your opinion, bad then just remove it and try another one.
The part of it being your own opinion is the most deciding factor in this.

All else fails just learn how to map and make your own.
peppy
What is with all this negativity? I completely agree with a preview of the map, and have actually already done this in osu!stream. With osu!, it is a bit harder due to storyboarding etc., and would be a lot harder to implement, but everything in this thread gives incorrect reasoning and generally comes off as shooting down an idea for no apparent reason, which isn't cool.
Kurokami

peppy wrote:

What is with all this negativity? I completely agree with a preview of the map, and have actually already done this in osu!stream. With osu!, it is a bit harder due to storyboarding etc., and would be a lot harder to implement, but everything in this thread gives incorrect reasoning and generally comes off as shooting down an idea for no apparent reason, which isn't cool.
So you agree with this, but don't want to add "Unranked mod" for ctb and taiko too? Damn. Well, this idea is sound good, but I don't know why must be completed. I always download the map, no matter what is it and play on it, well, sometimes i never finish it because its not my taste. I mean even if this will be added as option, I will never use it and I think most of the ppls will do this too. Well, this is just my opinion.
benguin
Wow, all this negativity. And yes, it is supported in other rhythm games, you guys are acting like preview videos are the antithesis to rhythm gaming, jeez.

Example:
(notice the "Toggle Display Song Preview" button)
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/levelstats.php?level=1682

So many times, I'll end up downloading approved maps with one super hard difficulty, but I won't know how hard it is until I download it since 5 stars could mean anything from an SS to a fail on half-time for me and if the map in question is too ridiculous for me to consider playing, well then I just wasted all that time download that map.

EDIT: I don't know how hard this would be to implement, it seems like FFR has already mastered the art of embedding replays, the details page for each song shows a replay with a auto-play on in the song preview and the replays from actual players can actually be embedded into forum posts and viewed directly in the thread using [replay] tags surrounding the replay code.
Stefan
I fear things like laggs and disturbing will be the problem for it.
Sounds actually ok, but I would not perfer for myself.
Sakura
I think a clickable link or something that shows a video preview would be the best option.

That way if you dont want to watch it then you don't have to, but the ones who want to watch can do so.
peppy
Do you really think it would automatically play, coming from the guy who will ban for youtube autoplays and already has all audio previews as user-triggered?

As for implementing this: if there's anyone out there with the motivation and time to create map previews (can be as creative as you want) and posting them to youtube, I could create a system to allow embedding them on info pages. It would be quite a large undertaking, but it would probably generate a lot of enjoyment if you were the kind of person looking for some large project to get started on youtube.

(don't even consider this unless you are serious though)
DerekMcD
Okay. If you don't want your internet to be laggy, just turn of the background video on the options and the preview won't show. That could be better to you if you don't want it to be laggy?
Kurokami

Koro McAlpine wrote:

just turn of the background video on the options and the preview won't show.
With this, I support this idea.
Sakura
So wait, this is for creator's words? or for in-game.
DerekMcD

Sakura Hana wrote:

So wait, this is for creator's words? or for in-game.

Both, just both. That could be a interesting idea, and watch the video while Klai times really makes our day.

But just for in-game.
Topic Starter
The_Epic_Backstabber
Oh, if you don't show a preview, something like this map that you might have downloaded might appear...

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/48738

Might not be hard for some people, but for me, the "tricks" on this thing were really annoying.
Topic Starter
The_Epic_Backstabber

ampzz wrote:

It's stupid and pointless.

Why you ask?

That's the wonder of this game; you download a beatmap if you generally like the song, if the map is, in your opinion, bad then just remove it and try another one.
The part of it being your own opinion is the most deciding factor in this.

All else fails just learn how to map and make your own.
Then just remove it? When you go to your folders, you'll see that in the start of every folder, there's something in front of it like a "17670" in front, so it's not in alphabetical order, and in the sea of songs that I have, it's unlikely that I'd find it quickly.
Ijah_old
As a frequent youtube user, I support this fully.

The embedding on info pages would work out best as well as a youtube icon next to the "Has Storyboard" icon on the main listing which could open up a lightbox/popup containing the specified video preview.

However, I do also have concern that youtube will likely not be a good idea seeing as the place is big on copyright infringement problems ever since SOPA/PIPA.
Mara
I am here to tell that I have taken this mission to add preview videos for you guys. In very near future I will recruit people as well, so if you are interested - stay tuned.
MoonShade
I support this idea. But what's up with that custom youtube recordings? Can't we just write some server application that renders videos out of osz files and saves them when a map becomes ranked or something? I think that should be possible somehow :o
peppy
Make it happen then. Hell, if you make that happen and write it in c#, I could probably integrate it into osu! to allow video exports of replays.

(Hint: this won't be easy)
DerekMcD
Uhhh... Where is it?
peppy
You can see an example of the video preview on this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/40821
Keep in mind that not every map will have this, as it is currently a manual process run by a few dedicated guys.
-Athena-
Video previews from YouTube? I pity people like me with shit Internet not being able to enjoy the full experience lol
Good luck guys, you'll need it

And to address the issue of being able to disable autoplay yourself, not everyone will get it immediately, better to avoid such trouble ain't it?
Yutsuki yukari

peppy wrote:

You can see an example of the video preview on this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/40821
Keep in mind that not every map will have this, as it is currently a manual process run by a few dedicated guys.
x_x OMG for me it's amazing!
regenz
it's nice I like it. keep working peppy.