forum

Should I try to improve my imput lag?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
linkfire
Hello guys!

So here's my problem. I already read and applied all the tips about input lag that I could find, but I'm still playing with 2.5-3ms in 1080p and 1.9-2.5ms in 1600x900. I'm playing in borderless because fullscreen give me 17ms straight, I tried all the tips out there but it didn't work.

So my question is, at my current level (I'm Fcing maps around 4.6-4.8* range and playing up to 5.4*) is an imput lag of 2.5-3ms a problem? I mean I can't personally judge because I never played with better latency, so is it worth it to maybe reduce my resolution to 720p and play with an ugly game and have 1.6ms or it isn't that important right now and I should stick to my 1080p setting?
You can see my current configuration on my profile.

Thanks!

osu! version: Stable 20181101.2 (latest)
-iskuroi
Huh, if u have low fps(like 50-100) u should try decrease ur resolution.
Personally i feel the difference on this type of input lag.
Try to use a vsync it's helped me with inputlag
Tad Fibonacci
I know very little about input lag, but I did noticed it usually stays at 8ms when i'm playing and sometimes jumps up to 12ms but my fps is still pretty stable, around 190-200 fps so is it a bad thing?
I really don't know if input lag can cause any problems or not so if anyone can tell me what it is I'd be appreciated
Equbuxu
Input lag that is displayed at the corner is just time between frames. 17ms which you have in fullscreen is exactly 60 fps, so for some reason your fps is limited in fullscreen (are you sure that frame limiter stays on unlimited when switching to fullscreen?)

Now your question: I believe that 2.5-3ms input lag is not that bad and it shouldn't affect your performance if you are used to it. The real question is: can you feel the difference when switching to lower resolution? If you don't, I don't think it worth it
Deva
Unless you plan on playing AR11 even 8.4ms is acceptable. It might not look as smooth but it's perfectly playable and it won't affect your experience in any major way.
Topic Starter
linkfire
Hello!

-iskuroi wrote:

Huh, if u have low fps(like 50-100) u should try decrease ur resolution.
Personally i feel the difference on this type of input lag.
Try to use a vsync it's helped me with inputlag

I tried the Vsync but it actually made things worse. For the fps I dunno it stay at 59, I think it's because my monitor is 60hz or something?

tad01123 wrote:

I know very little about input lag, but I did noticed it usually stays at 8ms when i'm playing and sometimes jumps up to 12ms but my fps is still pretty stable, around 190-200 fps so is it a bad thing?
I really don't know if input lag can cause any problems or not so if anyone can tell me what it is I'd be appreciated

I don't know much either, but what I'm sure is that it does indeed have an impact on your gameplay. Up to what degree, now that's my question here. Are you sure that you set your fps to unlimited? Because when I try to play with the 17ms it's really hell. Maybe you should try those guides to configure and improve your input lag if you haven't already.

GSTACK wrote:

Input lag that is displayed at the corner is just time between frames. 17ms which you have in fullscreen is exactly 60 fps, so for some reason your fps is limited in fullscreen (are you sure that frame limiter stays on unlimited when switching to fullscreen?)

Now your question: I believe that 2.5-3ms input lag is not that bad and it shouldn't affect your performance if you are used to it. The real question is: can you feel the difference when switching to lower resolution? If you don't, I don't think it worth it

I see it's good to know where the 17ms come from. I indeed checked, and the limiter is still on unlimited. I also tried the 9999fps limiter manipulation...same result.
When I switch to lower resolution I indeed can't feel any improvement.

Deva wrote:

Unless you plan on playing AR11 even 8.4ms is acceptable. It might not look as smooth but it's perfectly playable and it won't affect your experience in any major way.

So that's how it is...Good.

In the end after reading your replies, I can infer that my current configuration doesn't affect my gameplay in a noticeable way, so I will stick with my current resolution for the time beeing, until i have the possibility to buy a new computer and monitor. Thank you guys for the answers!