forum

Important First Submission Question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Blue Stig
OK!
I got my supporter tag and am ready to map for real!

Time to get serious.

I have some songs from an album I bought off the internet that I want to map.
The problem is that if I upload the maps anyone can download them. :?

I looked around here but I could not find osu!'s policy on this.
Is there a guide somewhere that deals with this sort of thing?
Do you know how I can submit my map legally?
I'm not entirely sure how the internet deals with this sort of thing.

I understand that osu! locks everything once you submit it so someone else can't copy it.
I also understand that there are multiple videos on youtube of most of the songs.

I just want to do this legit and I do not want to take business away from the artist.
RandomJibberish
Anyone who uses osu! to steal mp3s is pretty unlikely to have bought the song anyway. I'd say the effect is more likely to be positive, since you're introducing the artist to new people :P
This is a good chunk of the reason why you can't use high quality audio - bitrate of your mp3 should be no higher than 192 kbps.

Eventually .osz2 will come to public build which will prevent mp3 theft anyway, but it could be a while yet.
Topic Starter
Blue Stig
Sounds fair enough.

bitrate of your mp3 should be no higher than 192 kbps
Do you know what software I could use to make a mp3 copy with a lower bitrate?
I also need to know how to switch out the mp3s in my maps.

Sorry for the delay.
Finals.
Breeze

The Kilted Moskito wrote:

Do you know what software I could use to make a mp3 copy with a lower bitrate? :arrow: Cooledit or this
I also need to know how to switch out the mp3s in my maps. :arrow: Just drag your mp3 into osu window when you click into edit mode
Derekku
@Breeze: The thread you linked is just for cutting mp3s or making volume changes, not for reencoding.

@OP: Use this thread for an mp3 reencoding tutorial: t/36719
Topic Starter
Blue Stig
Thanks!
I hope the offset stays the same in the new file. It's conveniently at 0 in the original.

Can Audacity make mp3s out of iTunes files?
I also saw that Winamp Pro has mp3 encoding. Is it really worth the $20.00?
Derekku
I don't recall what format iTunes files are in, but you should be able to convert any file format (for free) with other software.

Also, there's no need to pay for mp3 encoding; that's just silly. :p
Topic Starter
Blue Stig
Great!

iTunes is MPEG-4.
I'll see if Audacity can handle it.

Never used Audacity before.
Should be interesting.
RandomJibberish
You can convert your mp3s in iTunes, actually, which is probably the easiest way if you use it. Change your import settings to mp3 192, right click on the song you want to convert and choose "create mp3 version". An mp3 duplicate of the song should pop up which you can find by rummaging in your iTunes media folder.
D33d
Alternatively, WinLAME is good for general MP3 stuff and can be used to re-encode MP3s at lower bitrates. It also lets you convert everything else very easily. Of course, I'm assuming that you're using Windows, otherwise I just made a silly suggestion.
Topic Starter
Blue Stig

RandomJibberish wrote:

You can convert your mp3s in iTunes, actually, which is probably the easiest way if you use it. Change your import settings to mp3 192, right click on the song you want to convert and choose "create mp3 version". An mp3 duplicate of the song should pop up which you can find by rummaging in your iTunes media folder.
You just gave me the Easy button.

Right.
Best if I get the tough maps over with.

*Proceeds to import some Rush*
Topic Starter
Blue Stig
I think I'm going to start fresh with my maps.

I've got one song timed perfectly, so I'm going to work on that first.

The song comes in on 0:30

Also
Best album art.
Ever.
...this is scaled right as a bg, right?
Derekku
The letterboxing on the left/right doesn't look that great, unfortunately. Album art usually doesn't work that well because of it being square rather than a 4:3 ratio.
Topic Starter
Blue Stig

Derekku wrote:

The letterboxing on the left/right doesn't look that great, unfortunately. Album art usually doesn't work that well because of it being square rather than a 4:3 ratio.
Mostly the letterboxing is for a seamless fit in 1024x600.
I do see your point though.

I'm thinking of uploading the map after making a full rough draft of a diff.
Would that be the best time to do this or should I upload it after a large half is done?
Derekku
Whatever you're comfortable with! Some people upload maps to WIP as soon as they've timed the map, some once one diff is done, and some not until the entire mapset is done. It's all personal preference and doesn't really matter. :p

Of course, you shouldn't upload the map to Pending until it's 100% done, though!
Topic Starter
Blue Stig
All right!

What I'll do then is get the inheriting points in, make 2 blank diffs named alpha and beta, and then upload it.

The alpha diff will be a rough draft with straightforward mapping and no modding.
This is just so people will have something to play earlier than with constant modding, speed changes and other stuff like that.

The beta diff will get mapped once there is some progress on the alpha diff and I've had some feedback in the map's thread.
Beta will eventually get a new name after a while, and I'll talk to the community for ideas.

Thanks for the help!