forum

How do I learn to handle higher speeds?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dan479
I started playing Osu! a bit more than a week ago, so I guess it may be a bit too early to ask for advice when I for all I know it may just be raw lack of experience. Anyway.

I'm at the moment playing mainly normal maps, and some a notch above and below. I'm generally getting B's and A's on normal with a few S ranks. My main issue with trying to play higher difficulties is that I simply can't deal with the speeds. One some maps I can do blind clicks after the rhythm which actually works for half or less of the map, but in the end I fail due to the speed being too much.

So if there is any actual advice or strategy to learning to handle higher speeds I would appreciate if you could share. As mentioned before, it could just be lack of experience.
Nyu_old2
Just play more and more. There is no trick to becoming pro within a week a month or even half a year. It just takes time and practice to get good at the game. The more you play, the more naturally reading the notes and moving your mouse(or tablet) to them will go for you. People can give you "tips" or "tricks" to playing better but really all you gotta do is keep playing. And don't fall into the thought that getting a tablet or new keyboard will make you play like top players like some people think. It'll get you better, but you won't be playing like Cookiezi or WhiteWolf within a month just cause you got a tablet x3
Topic Starter
dan479

Nyu wrote:

Just play more and more. There is no trick to becoming pro within a week a month or even half a year. It just takes time and practice to get good at the game. The more you play, the more naturally reading the notes and moving your mouse(or tablet) to them will go for you. People can give you "tips" or "tricks" to playing better but really all you gotta do is keep playing. And don't fall into the thought that getting a tablet or new keyboard will make you play like top players like some people think. It'll get you better, but you won't be playing like Cookiezi or WhiteWolf within a month just cause you got a tablet x3
Thank you for your help.
maal
Remember to hold the mouse upside down, gives you a better grip.

Grind it over the keyboard, for better accuracy.
Sorun
That's how I felt, normal were just to slow paced for me so I just kept playing hard maps till I adjusted to the speed. I failed a lot of the time but now I can play hard maps pretty good. Now i'm focused on insane maps, now its not only the speed that kills me its the patterns and fast streams that I need to get used to.
GladiOol

Emaal wrote:

yes.
jesse1412
hi, I'm an experiences player. I find that as emaal pointed out using moving your hand over the top of the mouse to move the cursor can improve grip and helps. I also find that using my Z and B keys helps me click faster because they are at a perfect distance for speed. hope this helps.
G0r
I don't know why you guys are tolling this fellow. He asked a legitimate question, and he seems to be fairly nice about it. If you don't show respect to those who are less skilled than you, then you devalue your own accomplishments.

As for getting faster, I am still working on it myself, but I can tell you that you won't get any faster by playing speeds that are comfortable to you. Find maps that feel slightly faster, or slightly more difficult, than you can handle, and them play them for all that they are worth. Once they stop feeling uncomfortable, move on to something that feels harder to you. It takes a lot of time, so don't make it a project. Just play for fun, and keep speed in mind as a goal. Work on accuracy as you go, though, or you'll find yourself beating maps, but getting very poor combos. Just make sure to balance it out in the end, and you'll be on your way. Remember, this game is muscle memory based. Strategy helps, but trying helps more.

Good luck! :D
JAKACHAN

G0r wrote:

I don't know why you guys are tolling this fellow. He asked a legitimate question, and he seems to be fairly nice about it. If you don't show respect to those who are less skilled than you, then you devalue your own accomplishments.
This is the problem. Most of them (Besides Gladi) don't even have skill to begin with they just troll the forums in search of attention.

To the OP: Just keep at it. When I first transitioned to higher difficulties I could rarely keep up, but the more I played them and the more I committed to actually trying to beat them the easier they got. I wish you luck and if you have any further questions feel free to PM me ingame :D
Shohei Ohtani
Espionage724

Emaal wrote:

lol

As for handling higher speeds, you could edit songs and up the approach circle rate thing. It'll have a similar effect to turning on Hard Rock, without the circle shrinking and flip.
benguin
I'm a little new too, so I don't know if my advice is worth taking. Anyways, I find I improve the most when I play maps that I have difficulty passing. Don't play songs where you'll fail in 5 seconds, that's not going to help you at all; but rather try maps that you think you might be able to pass if you put in the time, practice, and effort. For maps that you do fail within the first few seconds, try experimenting with the halftime mod, some maps are still a challenge to pass even on halftime (I'm personally trying to pass The Big Black on halftime right now)

Don't take my advice though if you are one of those accuracy-whores xP
Sonez_old
947 plays - Emii - Abyss [Night]

Map I played my 1st week of osu!, and it seemed so fast to me then. But I just kept playing till i FC'd it. Now I do it with 1 finger.

My advice is to pick maps with nice sized hit circles, good beats, and an overall fluid map. Then just play them alot.
Hinsvar
Not sure if this is going to be helpful, but...

Remember those Normal that you S'd? Try to FC (or at least get an S again) them with DT or HR. Also, play Hard diffs, and if you can, Insane ones.

It took me 1,158 attempts (I am NOT making this up) to pass this. It felt so fast. So, SO fast. My friend, who took almost 300 attempts (he's more skilled than me :P) to pass it, said the same thing too. But when we played it again, it felt far slower than before.

So yeah. Just try to play beatmaps that are slightly harder than faster (don't go to Insane diffs, though; you might end up playing it up to a thousand times like me). You'll be better in no time 8-)
Topic Starter
dan479
Thanks everyone! :) I really appreciate your help and advice.
sCam
Welcome to Osu. What I did before I could start handling Hard difficulty speeds was play normal maps with the mod called "Hardrock"
I tried to aim for S, but got some A's and C's. I really didn't know what I was doing(since I was a nub too) but I just didn't like how slow the Normal maps were, and I still couldn't get used to Hard maps. Then After a week I started getting b's and c's on Hard songs. Then I started really trying to Full combo the hard maps, after like another week I went straight to insane, but it took me like 3 months to full combo my first insane, and boy was I happy :D

Also trust me on this, the better you get, and the harder the maps you play = the more fun Osu becomes, that's when the game gets really addicting, also if you really care about score rank then it'll be fun ranking up, but now there's another ranking called performance points, wich is more accurate and favors skill, but let's not go there yet, and leave that to when you get some more experience.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Just keep playing dude. I thought at first I would never be able to do insane maps, but trust me, they get easy over time, till you start realizing you're an insane osu player, but if you wanna be crazy you need a lot more practice and time to do the really insane maps, then you'll start asking questions about jumps, and streams etc...
Defacer
­
Wishy

dan479 wrote:

I started playing Osu! a bit more than a week ago, so I guess it may be a bit too early to ask for advice when I for all I know it may just be raw lack of experience. Anyway.

I'm at the moment playing mainly normal maps, and some a notch above and below. I'm generally getting B's and A's on normal with a few S ranks. My main issue with trying to play higher difficulties is that I simply can't deal with the speeds. One some maps I can do blind clicks after the rhythm which actually works for half or less of the map, but in the end I fail due to the speed being too much.

So if there is any actual advice or strategy to learning to handle higher speeds I would appreciate if you could share. As mentioned before, it could just be lack of experience.
Play stuff you can barely clear, it'll take a long time before you can play hard maps. No real trick, just don't waste your time playing any not-insane map until you get S.

Don't waste your time playing normal on DT/HR either, it's no good.
-Athena-
Did you just come super close to passing (insert random map hard for your level here)? Well then keep playing that and maps like that.
I'll assume you use the keyboard and mouse since that's the most common play style, if so it helps to alternate between keyboard keys on every hit, results of this method are people like Silvia, I don't think I need to explain more.
XGeneral2000
What Wishy said. Normal DT + HR might sound logical, but while it speeds up the approach rate and BPM, it doesn't prepare you for harder patterns. Play things just outside of your skill range. If you're getting A's and S's on Normal, play Hards, star difficulty 4-4.5. Then look for 4.5 - 4.7, the very edge of the Hard-Insane barrier. You'll do terribly on them, but you will improve with time. Trying to SS Normal with mods and rank top 40 might seem tempting, but if your ultimate goal is to FC Insanes one day, you're only going to delude yourself into thinking you're improving by staying at Normal. Learning to read high BPM and AR will come with time.
-Athena-
If I wanted to normal DT HR HD then I would just play the 5 star diff lol
(unless I'm trying to rankwhore)
Wishy

-A t H e N a- wrote:

Did you just come super close to passing (insert random map hard for your level here)? Well then keep playing that and maps like that.
I'll assume you use the keyboard and mouse since that's the most common play style, if so it helps to alternate between keyboard keys on every hit, results of this method are people like Silvia, I don't think I need to explain more.
Most players single-tap and alternate for streams.
silmarilen
alternating makes DT and very high BPM maps (like scarlet rose) easier tho.
G0r
I wish I'd learned to play that style when I first started. It's pretty strong. Probably takes longer to gain skill, though.
RaneFire
I started out playing alternating, because I figured it wouldn't be so hard on my fingers and I'd have more stamina.
The sad part is this is wrong, by swapping fingers you never build the stamina needed. So yeah it does take longer to get good at.

The pro's of alternating:
Alternating makes it easier to start streams, since the 2nd finger is always ready and in-time.
It is easier to keep the rhythm with 2 fingers, especially the timing accuracy for jumps.
Almost never break your combo on a slider.

I've since played with a main finger for the last 5 months though, and even swapped to middle finger as main finger for a bit, tbh my middle finger is retarded, so I cannot comment further. :P

ninjedit:
Forgot to mention, the 1 main con with alternating I found... was DJPop streams. I could never time them correctly, and I find it much easier with a main finger.
JAKACHAN

RaneFire wrote:

ninjedit:
Forgot to mention, the 1 main con with alternating I found... was DJPop streams. I could never time them correctly, and I find it much easier with a main finger.
DJPop streams are always a pain in the behind just ignore those.
Wishy

silmarilen wrote:

alternating makes DT and very high BPM maps (like scarlet rose) easier tho.
And patterns impossible if you play with a tablet, plus having good coordination for alternating is not easy to achieve, example Ignacio from Chile one of the best players from all America, at least when I asked him, he could never handle alternating which is why he single-tapped those val0108 high BPM maps, same Mesita.

Even had Cookiezi say he couldn't FC some maps by alternating (290~300 BPM) but he could easily FC by single-tapping (bad acc tho).

But to alternate on fast continuous sliders is something many single-tapping players do.
K a Y e
It takes practice and learning between fails. When trying out a map you try to repeat over and over and try to get used to the maps. More over, I prefer you to play 3 stars and above for practice sessions. Well, I admit, I am not a good player myself but just a little advice would help. Hope I helped! Good luck ;)
Mara
If you want to go fast, you need to go fast. Play Tribes: Ascend to train your speed.

For serious answer, don't kill your hand because of the streaming.