forum

osu! Mapping Olympiad Information

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chaos
Hi everyone,

I wanted to put some information about the Olympiad into an easily accessible location for people to refer to at their convenience.

As mentioned in previous contest announcements, we are using a point system to award the 'Mapping Olympian' badge. This means that top placing results across multiple contests will grant you the opportunity to be awarded a badge even if you do not win a particular contest. The expected baseline for points rewarded will be 6, 4, and 2 for the top 3 entries respectively, but the specific rewards may vary per contest based on expected effort and challenge for the participants.

Below are the badges that you can earn starting from 1 star all the way up to 5, with 6 Olympiad Points required for each level:

You can check the points achieved and badges rewarded across all contests in this spreadsheet.
Topic Starter
Chaos
Regarding the results for the currently closed contests, mania and catch are well underway and should be finished within an expected time of two months. The judging for taiko has run into a number of issues partially including real life commitments from the judges, so I'd like to apologize for the delay. We will do our best to make sure the results are released as soon as possible.

Lastly, we are looking for judges for the recently announced osu!standard contest. Please read more about it in the Judging Call thread.
AncuL
Constant amount of points required for each level? Why not make it gradually increase like 2,4,6,8,10 required points each level
Topic Starter
Chaos

AncuL wrote:

Constant amount of points required for each level? Why not make it gradually increase like 2,4,6,8,10 required points each level

Currently, it would take winning 5 contests to reach the highest level badge. Even if you were to place consistently in the top 3 for each contest for a game mode, it would take about 7-15 contests to reach 30 points. Given that we're probably going to end up with 2ish contests per game mode per year, it doesn't really seem that feasible to increase the amount of points needed for the later levels as they would become essentially unattainable.

If things about the current contest/points formats change we could look into this though. But the change would have to be justified by other changes.
Pachiru
there could have been more details on each evolution of the badges instead of just adding stars
Topic Starter
Chaos
The initial design is pretty minimal because the overall branding established at the start was fairly minimal. The badge design is capable of changing in the future, and likely will be updated at some point (for example, including the name of "Olympiad" or similar in the badge).
Monstrata
Think we can get better backgrounds for the badges in the future? I think most people can agree that the current one just has really bad color scheming, not to mention it's literally the banner for the mapping contest announcement page, but cropped.
Monstrata
Oh, adding some stuff, but having multiple badges might be more interesting too, rather than just having the badge "upgraded". Like in the olympics, Michael Phelps wins 9 gold medals, not one gold metal thats extra big and extra shiny. Personlly, I'm not at all incentivized by a badge with one more star. There are just too many badges out there for people to receive that the prestige of owning a "rarer" or "harder to get" badge is just nonexistant outside of extremely noteworthy ones like MCA or OWC.
Ascendance

Chaos wrote:

Regarding the results for the currently closed contests, mania and catch are well underway and should be finished within an expected time of two months.
Some sort of update would be heavenly, I and multiple others have been looking to share and upload our creations for some time now and we’re completely left in the dark in regards to progress. The mappers get a hard deadline in which nothing can be submitted past, but judges seemingly have all the time in the world from what we know. I know of a mapper personally who only entered to get feedback. That person now has ranked sets and gds and their style has evolved to a point where it doesn’t even matter anymore because of how long it’s taken to get any communication on results.