forum

[Rule Change] Stacking rules for hard diff (or below)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kibbleru
Currently we have this:

Objects 1/2 of a beat apart or less must not overlap perfectly.

And as far as i know, it applies for slider to slider stacks as well like

I feel we should be making an exception for slider to slider stacks with this rule:
1. This is perfectly readable anyways because most of the slider body is exposed.
2. osu! treats autostacking slider ends differently for some reason (sometimes you need a higher stack leniency for these to properly stack) which creates alot of accidental problems.

Also not sure if this is relevant or not, but the way this rule is worded "not overlap perfectly" kind of implies that this case is allowed since the sliders are technically not overlapped perfectly, only the head and tails are overlapped.
Monstrata
Yes. I felt this rule was very questionable too.

Very simple fix:

Objects that must be clicked 1/2 of a beat apart of less must not overlap perfectly.

This would exclude sliders since even though the rhythm may be 1/2, clicking rhythm would not be 1/2. This would also keep the rule consistent to exclude instances where mappers decide to use two manually stacked 1/4 sliders or something.
Smokeman
Just do it
Osu344_old

Smokeman wrote:

Just do it

That's the POWER of Home Depot. (I had to XD)
UndeadCapulet
stacking has a lot of edges cases that makes it hard to write reasonable rules for w/out just disallowing everything, if we wanna allow some perfectstacks and not others, we should go through every permutation.

from what i understand atm, with monstrata's wording, the following arranges would be rankable:

whereas these would be unrankable:

i think it seems too liberal for hard-level, esp all the arranges involving circles still being rankable, but that might just be me. imo just making an exception for tail -> head stacks is better. thoughts?

(put image spam in boxes)
pishifat
Objects 1/2 of a beat apart or less must not overlap perfectly. Slider heads perfectly overlapped by slider tails are exempt, so long as their sliderbodies are visible.

seems like a better wording for reasons the post above shows, but unlike monstrata's version it doesn't cover consecutive 1/4 sliders being stacked. including it would be worded as "Slider heads perfectly overlapped by slider tails are exempt, so long as their sliderbodies are visible and the first slider is 1/2 of a beat or longer." i feel like that makes the sentence harder to read though so it might be better to leave it out
Topic Starter
Kibbleru
Yeah, I was more in the opinion of just adding some exception at the end.

@pishi: Then we are disallowing slider tail and slider tail overlaps? I can understand to disallow head to head or head to tail but; Tail to Tail overlaps should also be in that exemption
pishifat
right, that's just a matter of adding "Slider heads or tails perfectly overlapped..."
Andrea
I always found this rule quite confusing to understand and I believe that the wording of it should be improved.

I actually agree with what pishi has suggested, we should make clear what can be allowed and what not, because the way it's worded right now is way too vague and might lead to think that any kind of perfect stack is just not acceptable for a Hard difficulty.
pishifat