forum

[STD|HD/SD] Kaleidosu!cope

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CheeseManFuu

A skin themed around mostly dark colors and a specific triangle pattern I found in my patterns toolkit on Photoshop.

This project took me a little less than 3 days of no-lifing (with one small edit earlier today when I realized I forgot to skin play-unranked). I took a new approach with this, and it absolutely paid off and I would say that even if there is no customizability right out the box, it's a huge step from my previous skins. Especially since this is the first skin in maybe a year that I've made progress more than just making some numbers.

The name was the last thing that I came up with while making this skin. I noted how the pattern reminded me of a kaleidoscope, I said it out loud, and Kaleidosu!cope came to be, and I loved it because it's such a dumb but great name.

[Mediafire] Download (9.7 MB)

[YouTube] Kaleidosu!cope demo Reel

Kaleidosu!cope imgur Album

Postmortem Creator Note
I decided to take a much different approach than how I've done my previous and heavily neglected personal skin this time around: Instead of jumping straight into making sprites, this time I actually took the effort to take a screenshot of the song select menu and figure out what I wanted to do with it. I found a pattern that I felt like using, I wanted to make it dark, found purple as a nice color for it, and that started the train.

Of course, the skin does come with a couple of downsides. As soon as the mode/mods/random/options icons came to fruition, the Mode button's emblem is definitely the worst part of the skin. It's really ugly, the coloring could've gone better, but I don't claim to be an artist; I take some shapes, make them pretty, and that's the extent of my ability.

I couldn't really figure out what sounds really worked, so I just used the wood ball hitsound set everybody's familiar with, and used default sounds for nearly everything else. Knowing what hitsounds work with what is still my weakest point by far, and deciding menu sounds is just even worse.

Inside the skin folder you'll find a 1+credits.txt with the fonts I used.

Tags
triangles, dark, dark colors, kaleidoscope, kaleidosu!cope, standard, std, hd, sd
EasyModo
Simple and nice. I especially liked "nightcore" icon :)
eell
i love hoe this has my name on it 'Kale'