forum

How fast can one improve?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dangkhoahue
Well, I'm going to go straight into the topic. I have played for around 80hrs, and gotta say, I introduced my friend about this game, and it only took him 30hrs to get his first 100pp play, and yeah, I feel pretty shit about it. Now that I've noticed, with a play time like mine and still lurking at ~700pp, I pretty much suck. I haven't even passed the 50pp mark yet. Is my progress extremely slow? I know about playing more, and that's what I've been doing. I just need someone to voice some opinions and advice for me again. Thanks y'all.
KupcaH
You and your friends both suck. Stop focusing on pp and you'll improve way faster.
EmoEmu

KupcaH wrote:

You and your friends both suck. Stop focusing on pp and you'll improve way faster.

This is a bit harsh, but also true. I'm not exactly good myself, so maybe I'm not in the best position to say this. But really, your skill shouldn't matter that much; the important thing is that you just enjoy playing the game ^_^
If you focus on enjoying yourself, skill will come naturally over time.

Good luck improving!

Edit: I should probably add that 80 hours really isn't a long time for anyone in osu!... So if you feel like you're not good even though you've played a lot, it wouldn't be completely right either. Again, just play som more and have fun, then your skill will come in due time
Topic Starter
dangkhoahue

EmoEmu wrote:

KupcaH wrote:

This is a bit harsh, but also true. I'm not exactly good myself, so maybe I'm not in the best position to say this. But really, your skill shouldn't matter that much; the important thing is that you just enjoy playing the game ^_^

Good luck improving!

Edit: I should probably add that 80 hours really isn't a long time for anyone in osu!... So if you feel like you're not good even though you've played a lot, it wouldn't be completely right either. Again, just play som more and have fun, then your skill will come in due time

Thenks. I do enjoy the game tremendously, but a bit insecured about it that's all :))
EmoEmu

dangkhoahue wrote:

EmoEmu wrote:

KupcaH wrote:

Good luck improving!

Thenks. I do enjoy the game tremendously, but a bit insecured about it that's all :))

No need to feel insecure. Everyone improves in their own pace, and from my own experience, improvement comes in bursts. Give it some time, have some fun. If you focus on your fundamentals and play things that don't create bad habits you'll be good :3
ADelicateOrange
Don't worry about how slow you're improving. Learning is different for a lot of people. For some people it takes a slow arduous process. And, some people it just clicks. Work on the basics of Accuracy, Note Reading, and Habitual Muscle Movements.

You'll get there. Also, make sure you have some tech maps/EDM in your play as well because they introduce patterns not seen very often in TV-Sizes.
Topic Starter
dangkhoahue

ADelicateOrange wrote:

Don't worry about how slow you're improving. Learning is different for a lot of people. For some people it takes a slow arduous process. And, some people it just clicks. Work on the basics of Accuracy, Note Reading, and Habitual Muscle Movements.

You'll get there. Also, make sure you have some tech maps/EDM in your play as well because they introduce patterns not seen very often in TV-Sizes.

Pretty sure you made a pun there. No? Just me? ok :))
Anyways thanks y'all
-Yaowy-
Hey! ADelicateOrange wrote absolutely right words to u. And I just want to add some.
If you are focused on pp, watch some popular guides. Learn standart techniques for the 1st time.
It can sound so weird for you, but do you know that you can use your keyboard instead of the mouse buttons? This is important, because you will need to tap on the circles faster and faster, and of course it will be difficult and confusing to be a mouse-only player.
Ok, you know the basics, understand streams, jumps and the playstyles. Now it's up to you to improve your skill.
And, of course, you must be healthy xD. For example, I've noticed that I can do my best at the morning, being fully "charged" after having a cup of coffee.
Good luck :)
Equbuxu
The thing with pp is that it actually represents one's skill really poorly. Basically, all you need to do to get pp is play a lot of fast jumpy maps and focus on getting an fc. Which means that not getting much pp doesn't mean not improving: more likely you are just improving in a slightly different direction. Which is not a bad thing, just play what you like and you'll get your pp eventually anyway.
Deva

GSTACK wrote:

The thing with pp is that it actually represents one's skill really poorly. Basically, all you need to do to get pp is play a lot of fast jumpy maps and focus on getting an fc. Which means that not getting much pp doesn't mean not improving: more likely you are just improving in a slightly different direction. Which is not a bad thing, just play what you like and you'll get your pp eventually anyway.

If you don't abuse the system by DTing 30 second jump only maps, PP actually represents skill quite well. Too bad literally everyone abuses it...
Almost
I think it really depends on what you generally mean by skill. There's a lot more to this game than playing fast maps which is really what the pp system really aims for. Hell, I bet 99.9% of players can't even pass the maps I generally play nowadays but I sure cannot even pass what some people around my rank play.
Mentally Insane
Well its ok. Sometimes is just nice to enjoy the music and improving your scores. But PP always leads most ppl to not care about the music and just go pp. Your doing fine. Everyone has different pacing. And anyways, a 100 pp play isn't even that high tbh (even though its my top play too). Just keep practicing and enjoy the game and you'll get to that point for sure. Also, if he plays on touchscreen that's the reason because ppl improve way faster on touchscreen.
Topic Starter
dangkhoahue

-Yaowy- wrote:

Hey! ADelicateOrange wrote absolutely right words to u. And I just want to add some.
If you are focused on pp, watch some popular guides. Learn standart techniques for the 1st time.
It can sound so weird for you, but do you know that you can use your keyboard instead of the mouse buttons? This is important, because you will need to tap on the circles faster and faster, and of course it will be difficult and confusing to be a mouse-only player.
Ok, you know the basics, understand streams, jumps and the playstyles. Now it's up to you to improve your skill.
And, of course, you must be healthy xD. For example, I've noticed that I can do my best at the morning, being fully "charged" after having a cup of coffee.
Good luck :)

Lmao yeh I' pretty sure I know how to tap using Z and X :}
SpasticSurgeon
A lot of people are insecure about their rank in their game, including me, so don't sweat it. That insecurity can be used as inspiration to improve but it can also make the game more stressful so balance that how you will.

I've probably spent half as much time watching youtube videos and on the forums as actually playing the game because I think it's interesting to see how other people improve and to pickup tips on how to improve myself (few other games you can see the statistics of other players and the paths they took to get where they are).

There are a lot of things that affect how people improve, including prior experience in relevant skills (music, shooter games, etc.). For example you have pros in shooters that become very good at osu! extremely fast because their aim is so impeccable.

Another thing is the quality of your practice. There is loads of advice out there on how to optimize your practice time but I think the most important things are

1. Pay attention to why you missed, then improve that skill

2. Play lots of music, and don't spam retry

As long as you are doing these two things, and being honest with yourself on why you missed and paying attention, you should always be improving. But sometimes rank doesn't come right away because the expression of a skill doesn't come out until you reach certain checkpoints in learning it.

Example of this process:

Play a song with fairly easy rhythm but spaced notes and you are missing a lot. Realize it's because your aim sucks. Play a bunch of other songs and focus on hitting the center of the circle with your cursor for a while. Every once in a while return to the song and eventually you will see that your aim has improved.

Except, do this with ALL of the skills at one time. Constantly hold in your head what caused you to miss/lose acc in the past in and choose what to focus on primarily for each song, and adjust as necessary.

I think improving skills like this is the most efficient method, with a close second being playing through songs and trying to beat your old best acc or something. I think of this more as a secondary process though.

It's kind of a stressful thing to do, so obviously sometimes just play whatever. I like to combine the above practices with just hitting F2 (random) because it adds some fun to the seriousness. I also throw in multiplayer because the competition can help me focus, especially when trying to beat higher ranked players (example of how to use insecurity and competition to your advantage).

I hope this helped. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of posts and experimented. I think this is the best, but you can't expect immediate results. Part of the "meta" fun in osu! for me is seeing what tactics seem to give me the best results, and I think it helps me improve a lot when I apply it.
show more