forum

General Football/Soccer Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vish024
*grumble**grumble*

I have to say though it was a valiant effort from us, everyone fully expected us to get run over but we played hard and most importantly attacked instead of settling back. I suppose that's something I like about Ange.
Fabi

A1. Brazil
A2. Mexico
Trash Boat
^ we should have expected it. they are the host after all
Kanye West
I don't think the result would have changed even if Brazil didn't get the bullshit calls though.
Vish024
ITA-URU the big game tonight, my money's still on Italy to progress.

Aside from that here's a little something for Gladi and those shamelessly football-skeptic Finns.

JonnyThatJonny
Can't believe how great Herrera has been in that Mexico midfield. A disastrous 1st season at my club and now showing his true potential. I'm still keeping my theory that he has a twin brother who can't even kick a ball that he sends to Porto during the rest of the year.
Andrea
Moreno strikes again, red card from nowhere.

I have nothing to say except that I'm disgusted.
Leader
We sucked so hard but.. how can you let Uruguay pass after this Suarez thing again
Snepif

Andrea wrote:

Are you saying that it was not red-card worthy?

Also, the referee was heavily in Italy's favour the whole damn time, so c'mon FIFA, keep bringing your corrupt referees :)
JonnyThatJonny
"Suarez with his bulldog like approach"

Snepif wrote:

Andrea wrote:

Also, the referee was heavily in Italy's favour the whole damn time, so c'mon FIFA, keep bringing your corrupt referees :)
Oh cmon, the red card was harsh. And how can you send off a player for that and keep Suarez in game after THAT.
bmin11

Welp lol
Leader

Snepif wrote:

Andrea wrote:

1 penalty not given for Uruguay = 1 invented red card to Italy (that was a pure yellow, we'd see 2/3 red card per match if that was red worthy)

That's fair like this, I can't complain more and I don't really see why the referee was in our favour for the whole match, nor yours

then Suarez arrived lol
Snepif
If you think that was not red card worthy, you have never played a football match.
Well judging by your country's performance... that might be very true indeed..

Oh and the referee not giving 3 fouls to Uruguay in the last minutes and extending the match more than the 5 mins, etc etc...
Leader

Snepif wrote:

If you think that was not red card worthy, you have never played a football match.
Well judging by your country's performance... that might be very true indeed..

Oh and the referee not giving 3 fouls to Uruguay in the last minutes and extending the match more than the 5 mins, etc etc...
What are you even saying, 5 mins are normal in such case and the referee extended to 6 because Muslera wasted a minute to kick a ball (this happens often, not gonna complain).

By the way, Marchisio wasn't intentional, he moved like that in order to protect the ball with his whole body, but he accidentaly touched his knee whe the match was rather calm and nobody was nervous. He was late, but the match wasn't nervous at all, so I'd give a yellow card, but I'm pretty sure he did this to compensate the missed penalty. I'm looking to other countries' comments and it seems like the referee was wrong tho, lol
Tanzklaue
both teams showed despicable foulbased football and it's really sad that not both of them have to go.
Snepif
My dear, in football, you can't go to the ball with your foot in a vertical position, your foot's tip must be down making your foot horizontal, if not, it's a severe foul, and if it hits the other guy it's 100% red worthy. We call it plancha here and it's foul even if it doesn't hit the guy, so imagine what happens if it does. You can't approach the ball in an agressive position towards the other player.
Deimos

A red card for that? Really?
Leader

Snepif wrote:

My dear, in football, you can't go to the ball with your foot in a vertical position, your foot's tip must be down making your foot horizontal, if not, it's a severe foul, and if it hits the other guy it's 100% red worthy. We call it plancha here and it's foul even if it doesn't hit the guy, so imagine what happens if it does. You can't approach the ball in an agressive position towards the other player.
Then again, I rarely saw something like this happening in Europe, but we knew that this referee was strict and we should have expected that
Snepif

Deimos wrote:

A red card for that? Really?
He didn't even go for the ball, lol... you should really start playing some football :P

Anyway it was a close and kinda ugly match, ggwp
[- Alex -]
Netherlands year . I believe .
Mikelicious
Deimos
He didn't even go for the ball, lol... you should really start playing some football :P

Anyway it was a close and kinda ugly match, ggwp

I didn't said that he doesn't deserve it.

But I really hope that Luis Suarez is going to be banned or they should pull out all of his teeth. Something is wrong in his head.
Tetsu_old
All I have to say is...

LOOOOOOOOOOOL! Samaras, what a player! The Greek Torres!
bmin11
lol lol lol No one would have seen this coming. What a way to advance through the group stage.
Kanye West

WingsOfDeadthx wrote:

Robben legit looks like the most dangerous player in the tournament. Their chances are pretty darn good I'd say.
Fabi

Like seriously, why? WHY BITE?! hahaha
JonnyThatJonny
A lot of favorite european teams going out and meanwhile Greece just skimmed through the last 16 with a last minute penalty.

I was expecting a lucky win from the result, but from the highlights they really dominated that one, well deserved.
SpeechClass
This world cup is disaster to european, asian teams. Italy, Japan bye bye
Tanzklaue

Kanye West wrote:

WingsOfDeadthx wrote:

Robben legit looks like the most dangerous player in the tournament. Their chances are pretty darn good I'd say.
müller is better.

so are messi and ronaldo, neymar, some others.

SpeechClass wrote:

This world cup is disaster to european, asian teams. Italy, Japan bye bye
that's okay, the last 8 years were heavily dominated by european teams, and europe still has some presence in the round of 16.
Trash Boat
15 hours remaining...
Vish024
In my opinion the Marchisio decision could've gone either way, the manner in which he approached the challenge was dangerous and you can understand why the referee chose to send him off. At the same time it looks like he was simply trying to shield the ball and at most deserved a yellow, we've all seen reds given for worse challenges than that.

Suarez the pantomime villain strikes again, if he had been sent off for that bite incident I can guarantee you that they would not have scored that goal and would've lost momentum. If FIFA had their wits about them they'd suspend him for a lengthy number of matches, for life if possible. All in all I think Italy were quite unlucky and definitely didn't deserve to be knocked out in this fashion, I hope Colombia annihilate Uruguay in the upcoming second round.

Also what a performance by Greece and Samaras, well done boys. Poor CIV still haven't made the second round in their short world cup history.
Cyclohexane
I agree with the red card, btw, you can clearly see he was trying to push him off and a gesture like that can end up being very dangerous

however Suarez was fucking disgusting as well and I think that match as a whole was really shameful to watch.
Tanzklaue
actually, i think it was quite the deserved loss for italy. they played much worse and barely had any offensive actions worth mentioning until the 80th minute. it was the typical italian timeplay, and it came back to bite them.

or rather suarez did. that guy should get his ass booted from liverpool and the national team for being such a prick.
Vish024
Italy made a few attacking moves in the first half and were no more defensive than Uruguay, De Sciglio and Darmian were working overtime on the flanks and I think the former played quite well. Immobile kept cocking up every attack whenever he received the ball, for a man that scored 22 goals in Serie A it's quite obvious that he's not up to this level of football.

The second half they lost that attacking attitude because Mario was pulled off for Parolo who's a central midfielder that isn't inclined to rush forward and coordinate attacks, I think this was the tactical mistake that caught them. Mario got a second yellow, he'd obviously miss the next game if Italy went through, and Prandelli supposedly pulled him off afraid that he'd get himself sent off considering his rash challenges in the first half. Utter bollocks, it's a do or die game and he's going to miss the next game anyway so why not just order him to keep a cool head, not do an Eric Cantona with his tackles and try his best whenever he receives the ball? Parolo added nothing to the game and Immobile continued his mishaps up front.

Marchisio's sending off was what triggered a complete change in the attitude, they wouldn't dare commit too many players forward being one man down and playing against Suarez who's lethal on the counter as England and Cahill found out first hand. Poor Marchisio will be blaming himself for what happened.
Andrea
All I have to say is that Suarez also deserved a red card, but it didn't happen.

As expected I'm not surprised, this totally reminds me of Italy - South Korea 2002 with the other Moreno.
Vish024
Well quite but after all the corruption trouble in Italy in the last 10 years or so I don't think it'd be justified for any Italians or fans of Italian football to put on their tinfoil hats.

Some nice games tonight, expecting Nigeria to trouble the Argies and France to clean up Ecuador and do the Swiss a favour.
SpeechClass
I think Referee is not only reason Italy do not beat Uruguay. Italy's two top line(Balotelli, Immobille) do not working cooperatively.
Veratti's movement make good chance to another Italy's players. But they blow the chance to make a goal.
Tanzklaue
fifa is investigating in the matter of suarez currently. he did these bite attacks before, and overall shows bad sportsmanship whereever he goes.

maybe he will get what he deserves.

... nah, it's fifa, they prolly fine him 500 bucks and then let him go.
Trash Boat
we finally woke up, but i have to admit that that elbow hurt. but i'm very sure it was unintentional
Lewder
show more