forum

General Football/Soccer Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vish024
WILSHEEEEEEERE. Jackie boy does it again, I'm so proud of him.

I'm still laughing at the Arsenal fans who are immediately jumping to the conclusion that we can win the FA cup, this has been our very problem in recent years: thinking we've already won.
kriers
Sturridge seems to be a pretty good striker
bmin11
He is good. He just couldn't play much, because we had to play Torres.
kriers
we'll just nurture his ability for 3-4 years until you come back to buy him for another 50 billion pounds
Vish024
Liverpool really starting to pick up now, you guys might even surpass us on the table if this continues. I haven't got much to say about tonight's game except that I'm definitely more scared of Rafa than Di Matteo in terms of tactical ability. I just hope we play on the counter, don't try to dominate the match and don't have Theo take all the bloody set pieces even if that's a clause on his stupid contract.

The best way to scare Chelsea fans would probably be through this image of Merte:

kriers
Just wondering, is Mertesacker/Vermaelen your best setup, or is Mertesacker's legendary pace a big problem for you guys?
Vish024
Merte is excellent in the air and on the ground but his lack of pace means he's very effective only with a faster centre back partner such as Koscielny who can back him up. I'd say Merte/Kos has been the best set-up at the back for us because of Verma's poor display so far this season. Only recently has Verma returned to his better form. I think giving him the captaincy piled a bit of pressure on him and that's affected him throughout matches.

Merte has been our best centre back in this campaign, he's done his job fairly well and has rarely committed defensive errors unlike Verma and Kos who sometimes take too many risks by rushing forward or, in Verma's case, being nervous at the back.
bmin11

LaVolpe024 wrote:

he's done his job fairly well and has rarely committed defensive errors unlike Verma and Kos who sometimes take too many risks by rushing forward
/me watchs 11-12 Luiz highlights

I think I agree with you
kriers
Wenger doesn't take the captain role serious, handing it to players they don't wanna see leave the club and whatnot. You should give it to Mertesacker by the looks of it.
Vish024
I have to disagree there, Sagna was the vice captain and was expected to receive the captaincy but seeing as he's unwilling to commit his future to the club he wasn't the right man for the captaincy. Merte hasn't been at the club long enough and doesn't have a deep relationship with the other players unlike Verma. He also isn't the loudest, he's a bit more reserved despite being the tall man that he is. Verma is the best choice, he's been at the club 3 seasons and has a good influence over the team.

I've only disagreed with Arsene's captaincy decisions once and that was when he handed it to William Gallas instead of Kolo Toure. Toure was a more established player than Gallas at the club and was a more valuable player overall. I still believe that if Toure had received the captaincy he'd still be at our club at this moment and wouldn't have left and ruined his career at City with the drugs/affairs and whatnot.

Also, here's an example of the standards we have in Aus:
Once in a while there are player signings that transcend on-pitch performances. They are the kind of signings that bolster the promotion of a single club even before a ball has been kicked. But Alessandro Del Piero is a signing that both transcends Sydney FC and lifts the profile of the entire A-League and football in Australia. The A-League's international exposure exploded following the arrival of the Italian legend and helped pave the way for a player the calibre of Emile Heskey to follow...

...More than 500 Premier League games, appearances in the European Champions League, UEFA Cup, World Cup and the European Champions - plus 62 caps for England. Why on Earth is Heskey not No.1 on this list? Had Heskey arrived in the A-League in any other season, he would have been hailed as the greatest signing in Australian football history.
This is beginning to make me cry.
bmin11
It's good to see that our strikers are looking fierce :oops:
Doomsday
This article pretty much sums up my thoughts as far as football goes, at the moment

Doesn't look like it's going to get much better either. Hmm (At least the baggies could only draw with Villa. Hey, it's something!)
Vish024

bmin11 wrote:

It's good to see that our strikers are looking fierce :oops:
So are your referees.

Elsewhere, Sneijder has officially moved to Galatasaray.
bmin11
Oh come on, referee wasn't the one who created goal chances.
Vish024
The first goal was indirectly created by the ref's inability to notice that Coq had been stamped on by Ramires. The second was unquestionably a penalty, can't deny that.

I've noticed that I'd much rather lose 5-0 where we're completely dominated as opposed to losing 1-0 because of a refereeing decision, without that mistake by the ref the score would've been more justified I'm sure.
Doomsday
In the English League Cup, Bradford City just earned a place in the final at Wembley. A quaint team from the 4th tier of English football, defeating three Premier League teams: Wigan, Arsenal, and Aston Villa along the way. They'll face either Swansea City or Chelsea in the final, depending on the result of their second leg match tomorrow (Swansea have a 2-0 advantage after the first leg of their tie)

Incredible stuff. This leaves a possibility that Bradford could be playing in Europe next season.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/98838/a ... ity/report
bmin11
Wow, I thought they were a Championship club, not a League 2. Incredible.
KRZY
Swansea vs. Bradford City

Imagine that
bmin11

KRZY wrote:

Swansea Chelsea vs. Bradford City

Imagine that

P.S.
UnderminE
Man that sure is annoying.
Liiraye
Longside tckets to Sweden-Argentina; check! :D

btw, my dad is from Argentina and my mom is Swedish x)
Starry-
Well... I go on Sky Sports today to check up on the Arsenal vs West Ham match, and see this...
.________.

Edit: Surprised no-one has posted about that Hazard / Ballboy situation. Now THAT was stupidly disgusting from Hazard. -.-
bmin11
The ball boy was absolutely annoying with delaying the game by holding on to the ball, but I didn't expect Hazard to actually kick him. Jesus.

Hazard has apologized, but also made on excuse; "I was trying to kick the ball out of him so he won't delay it any farther". Well, it's hard to believe Hazard would miss and "accidently" kick him. What kind of Football player would miss a ball that close ._.

I understand how desperate Hazard was, but it was just uncalled for. Just tap his back of the head next time, please.
bmin11
Tetsu_old
Meanwhile AFC Wimbledon is preparing for their tonight’s televised match.
gurodoll_old

u wot m8
bmin11
Giroud been doing well for the last two games. Is this his come back?
[BlinK]
meanwhile in my random gif folder

bmin11
Thank Jesus that was too close.

It was sad to see Lampard just passing the ball when he had the space. He is becoming passive as he ages ;_;

P.S. Feels like I'm the only person watching Football right now hmph
Doomsday
I am! (sort of)

Strange day in the FA Cup today. Chelsea (almost) losing to Brentford, Tottenham losing to leeds, Liverpool currently losing to Oldham 3-1

Oh, and hooray for Luton!
bmin11
Luton would have been special if only not all EPL teams failed misearably lol
Leader
Balotelli to Milan, this is gonna be cool
Vish024
Could be good or the beginning of a catastrophic disaster for Milan. Either way it'll be fun to watch.

I can declare this next game against Liverpool winnable considering our recent form. Better not get ahead of ourselves.
kriers
Liverpool with a new signing of Inter player Coutinho before the Gunners match.
I look forward to see some Brazilian flair in offence for the rest of this season :)
Vish024
Going down and then coming back magically. This is becoming a trend.

Our defence needs serious medical attention and I just wish we'd sign some players.
bmin11
And yet again, the only winner for this week is Man U.

We need Courtois, now. We have only recently lost Cech from his injury and it is already showing. Turnbull is losing our games.
Vish024
Man U's consistency is just infuriating, the title's theirs hands down. Courtois has been on loan for too long I think, you should give him a good shot next season.

If we can get our defence organised we can pull off some great results. That's something everyone associated with the club has learnt recently. I think Arsene may be right to not splash cash randomly but one signing at least would revitalise the fans.
bmin11
Courtois
If he only wasn't so young and so good, he would have been a perfect backup goalie. He is too good for a bench while Cech is still so young orz...
-Jellied-
David Beckham to PSG :O
Vish024
For some reason Becks still receives so much hype. Good for him. About an hour left in the transfer window and reports are flying everywhere.

I'm reading some crap about us trying to snatch Nacho Monreal from Malaga. Seeing as Gibbs is injured and we might have to play Santos, I really wouldn't mind a newblood in the left back position.

Also, Momo Diame is still being hunted allegedly by several clubs and Odemwingie made a pathetic attempt at forcing a move to QPR by driving to London and talking shit to the press. Brede Hangeland has only 6 months left on his contract so it'd be unsurprising if he were sold by Fulham.

Elsewhere La Viola have made a clever signing of Mohamed Sissoko. Just about every other Italian based source I read are still obsessing over Mario's transfer and ignoring everything else.
show more