forum

[proposal osu!taiko] Drum sampleset guideline

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tatatat
I'd like to propose the following to the general guidelines for osu!taiko

The drum sampleset should not be used. The sampleset does not work properly and produces no feedback ingame unless custom hitsounds are present.

Pretty simple guideline, help steer people in the right direction. Its already kinda an unwritten rule, but rules and guidelines should be written.

Any comments or suggestions please post them below!
realy0_
what about drum customs hitsounds if some people have to uses multiples customs hitsounds ?
it may have a contradiction with hs naming guideline
Topic Starter
tatatat

realy0_ wrote:

what about drum customs hitsounds if some people have to uses multiples customs hitsounds ?
it may have a contradiction with hs naming guideline
If someone has custom hitsounds they must use all 3 normal, clap, and finisher hitsounds, otherwise not all sounds are mapped to a hitsound. You can also always just... use a different sampleset. You're much more likely to run into problems with the drum sampleset, so I think its best just to avoid it entirely.
Okoratu
is there harm in this being a rule instead? i see no use cases being lost in it being a rule instead, stuff could break if support for drum sampleset is added retroactively
Topic Starter
tatatat

Okoratu wrote:

is there harm in this being a rule instead? i see no use cases being lost in it being a rule instead, stuff could break if support for drum sampleset is added retroactively

Well you can use the drum sampleset, IF you include custom hitsounds for each of the samples, if you are missing one of the hitsounds, its still silence. I'd honestly say that using the drum sampleset causes more hassle and potential for mistakes than just using the normal or soft sampleset. I wouldn't be opposed to it being a rule. Thats why I'm a little unsure about rule vs guideline. I look forward to seeing you response!
pishifat
https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/1839

i dont know taiko so tell me if something's out of place