forum

I'm so bad at streams

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
linkfire
Hello!
So another guy who can't stream here. Simply said, I start with the 300, then I see those 100, 50 and then the misses.
Stamina issue you say? Maybe, maybe not. I downloaded those streams maps and I've been playing them regularly. I did see an improvement(I can now do bursts without issue) but I still think that might be just my gameplay that got better and not the stamina issue.
When I start hitting those 100 and 50 I can't feel my hand tired at all, it's just that my taping speed decrease drastically after around 8 notes.
For lower bpm, like around 160bpm max, I can still hit a fair amount of notes, if I concentrate enough, but even with that, I can't persist long enough. For higher bpm, it's worst as you can imagine, even though I can still do the 5 notes bursts.
I'm a full alternator, and I also thought that might be the cause and started trying to singletap. But I just can't do it and, well I also just don't want to change the way I play.

So all this writing to say that I find it weird that I can't improve(at least I can't see any improvement for such a long time) with streams while two of my friends(10hours or so of gameplay and they can stream longer than me on those streams map) and other can easily do it.
Is it really the play more issue? Or maybe you experienced this before and might have a tip that could help me. Feel free to tell me what you think.

P.S. the Keyboard I use
Faye
Heya! I'm around the same rank as you and have been having the same problem until recently - so hopefully I can give you a lil' bit of a hand ^^"

Your body naturally tenses up when it senses an upcoming situation that requires strain, this allows for quick snappy movement and prepares your body for pain (your fight or flight response basically) and this is normal.

What YOU want to do though, is relax as much as possible when you start to stream. It will feel weird, and you'll probably mess it up a lot at first - but you'll get there eventually. This'll cause less strain on your wrist, keeping your stamina higher and allowing you to maintain control of your movements instead of "locking up" during streams allowing you to go for longer.

Though incomes the next problem with streams - reading them. Though that's a different topic altogether and something I can't entirely do with larger ones myself yet so I'm not exactly the person to talk to about that.

TL;DR
Try and relax your wrist a bit when approaching a stream so you don't "lock up" during it.
Also, a little bit of tension ain't bad, signifies where your upper limit is in terms of speed really.
Topic Starter
linkfire
Hi!
I did read about the relaxation thing before on other posts, but I don't particularly think I'm tensing up that much though. But it's indeed worth trying to relax as much as possible while hitting those streams. I will try that for a while and see if there is some improvement.
About the reading, I'm indeed not good enough yet to read those very long streams, but the same problem I described is also happening when I hit those very long stacks(or compact streams whatever you call them) so I don't think it's all about the reading of the stream.

Thank you for your advice, I hope I can gain something from it.
Almost
As for advice to read streams, I found that playing streams on lower ARs helps significantly with this. Stream reading is actually all about concentration.
Faye

Almost wrote:

As for advice to read streams, I found that playing streams on lower ARs helps significantly with this. Stream reading is actually all about concentration.

Agreed. Slowly raising the AR with a stream after you're physically able to hit it will go a long way.
Topic Starter
linkfire

Almost wrote:

Thank you or the advice. I did try this with a 150 bpm stream practice map before, but it didn't go well at all. I guess I will need to search for a 140bpm map or something to try it again.
cravenfiner
what helped me get better at streams were downloading those stream practice maps and just playing them, also looking at the keyboard I assume it’s membrane so if it is then there’s something about those types not being able to register key clicks after a bit but I forget the details about it. Maybe it’s more of a reading problem than a stamina problem, really just play stream maps more and you’ll see improvement
if it is stamina though I had to strain my hand to be able to hit streams and then it just became normal so uh, yeah

I’m not great at giving advice but I had streaming problems too so I’m just trying to help
Topic Starter
linkfire
Since yesterday, I have been trying a lot of things, and in the end I concluded that my problem is most likely reading related.
For some maps that have a good flow, I can sort of "feel" the stream, and for other I just can't. What I just said seems weird, I know(and sorry I don't know much about music terms/stuff). It's not that I can't read the stream for the other maps. I can read it, feel the beat, and how it fit to the song. But there's this little something that I can't grasp that will make me drop the consistency at which I hit the stream, and it's not stamina issue.
Take Omega Rhythm for example. it's a 173 bpm map, but I can't hit the streams there. But in the case of Adamas, I can hit the streams even though it's a 191 bpm map.
If you know what that might be, please enlighten me with your knowledge.

cravenfiner wrote:

what helped me get better at streams were downloading those stream practice maps and just playing them, also looking at the keyboard I assume it’s membrane so if it is then there’s something about those types not being able to register key clicks after a bit but I forget the details about it. Maybe it’s more of a reading problem than a stamina problem, really just play stream maps more and you’ll see improvement
if it is stamina though I had to strain my hand to be able to hit streams and then it just became normal so uh, yeah

I’m not great at giving advice but I had streaming problems too so I’m just trying to help

Yes, it's a membrane keyboard, at least I think it is. I never tried a mechanical one before but from what I know, it doesn't feel like one at all.
I didn't want to put the fault on the keyboard, but it might indeed be a good idea to try a mechanical one, but...well, that won't be for now, because...Africa!
Anyway thank you for the advice. An advice is always helpful in it's own way. It gave me hints, and might even help someone else. So thanks!
Almost

linkfire wrote:

Since yesterday, I have been trying a lot of things, and in the end I concluded that my problem is most likely reading related.
For some maps that have a good flow, I can sort of "feel" the stream, and for other I just can't. What I just said seems weird, I know(and sorry I don't know much about music terms/stuff). It's not that I can't read the stream for the other maps. I can read it, feel the beat, and how it fit to the song. But there's this little something that I can't grasp that will make me drop the consistency at which I hit the stream, and it's not stamina issue.
Take Omega Rhythm for example. it's a 173 bpm map, but I can't hit the streams there. But in the case of Adamas, I can hit the streams even though it's a 191 bpm map.
If you know what that might be, please enlighten me with your knowledge.

I just tried both songs, and I reckon it's probably reading issues. I should point out that reading issues are actually more problematic than most people think they are and they aren't entirely obvious. For reading streams, it's not that the spacing of the streams or that the maps themselves are that difficult to read in either of the maps you linked but it's more the case of how you are going about reading them.
Topic Starter
linkfire
I see. Thanks a lot for the feedback. In the end, I guess I will go back to the basic... play more.
show more