forum

"the light" huge skill gap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DogShroom
i'm a new player, and it seems like the 2 and 3 star difficulty have a huge gap between how hard they are...why is it like that???
Alongal
Maybe its because they add new patterns like triplets; also, the AR, OD and so on increases. Imo, the skill gap between 3 and 4* maps is even higher, since they add streams and jumps.

EDIT: Just checked your profile, you have been playing 16 minutes... just relax, play 1* and build your skill from there, you are not going to become cookiezi or rafis in 1 hour. I think for playing 3 stars maps people need around 18 hours of practice. If you want an advice, be consitent, playing 1 hour a day will make your skill increase faster than playing 10 hours one day per week. Don't chase skill, let it come to you.
Sicoh

Alongal wrote:

Maybe its because they add new patterns like triplets; also, the AR, OD and so on increases. Imo, the skill gap between 3 and 4* maps is even higher, since they add streams and jumps.

EDIT: Just checked your profile, you have been playing 16 minutes... just relax, play 1* and build your skill from there, you are not going to become cookiezi or rafis in 1 hour. I think for playing 3 stars maps people need around 18 hours of practice. If you want an advice, be consitent, playing 1 hour a day will make your skill increase faster than playing 10 hours one day per week. Don't chase skill, let it come to you.

No offence but 4* maps dont have streams what are you on about? at most they have short bursts and a stream is atleast ~120 circles placed.
Also about the difficulty gap, when I started playing osu I've never noticed it so I have no clue
raccoongamer

SiCoOG wrote:

Alongal wrote:

No offence but 4* maps dont have streams what are you on about? at most they have short bursts and a stream is atleast ~120 circles placed.
Also about the difficulty gap, when I started playing osu I've never noticed it so I have no clue

>stream is at least ~120 circles

Where did that come from? You’re talking about deathstreams. Normal streams can be as short as 5-10 circles.
Alongal

SiCoOG wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/372850/#osu/818655 The EXHAUST difficulty 4.00*
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/350295#osu/772293 The Insane difficulty 4.00*
Deva

SiCoOG wrote:

a stream is atleast ~120 circles placed.

raccoongamer wrote:

>stream is at least ~120 circles

Where did that come from? You’re talking about deathstreams. Normal streams can be as short as 5-10 circles.

There is no official note count for something to be called a stream. Only real definition is that it has to be a bunch of 1/4 or 1/3 (could be 1/2 too if the BPM is high enough I guess) notes in a row. It varies when you ask different people.
For some people a 5 note streak would be a stream but for some 50 would be a burst. Usually the better the person is at streaming the more notes they will say a burst has, or they are just an elitist who probably can't stream at all.

Get your facts straight before commenting ._.
ADelicateOrange
Well... At least you learned now that 1 star differences are huge. The star difficulty rating is bound to be somewhere in the FAQ, but you can just think of it as an exponential increase in difficulty. 2 to 3 is bound to have faster approach rates, higher note counts and density, more rhythm variance, and a whole host of increases in difficulty.

This is something everyone deals with.
N0thingSpecial
There are two major difference between hards and normals from a mapping perspective is usage of denser patterns and spacing variation.

Normals has consistent spacing for the majority of the map, and most of the difficulty comes from varying rhythmic patterns

hards start to implement different spacing based on the intensity of the coresponding section of the music, while having denser rhythmic pattern. Hard difficulty start to become more freestyle as it’s a stepping stone for insane difficulties where spacing and rhythmic patterns are completely freestyle
show more