forum

How to time stairs?* (topic correction)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
Rolls is literally the only thing that kills my accuracy because i simply can NEVER time them properly, i can read them clear as a day but i just never knew how to time them, commonly known rolls like in: triumph and regret - regret or at nano death or even blastix riots. I try to practice them but i always either fail and die, or get my accuracy to the ground (90%) and the only way i recover it, is playing the rest of the map as best as i can.
So can I please have some tips on how they play those freaking 1/4, 1/6 or 1/8 of a note rolls or im gonna go crazy...
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
How do you time those? or does it come with experience after many fails over time?

This comment isn't valid to the thread, scroll down.
Yyorshire
I would recommend playing FFR for a while, it will significantly help when you are going into patterns that are hard to control like rolls and trills.

If you don't want to do that, practice on slower rolls without jumptrilling them, as most people do. Jumptrilling rolls is a bad habit picked up early on by most people, and the only rolls you should be jumptrilling are the extremely fast ones that are impossible to hit otherwise.

Other than that, focus on your control and accuracy and rolls will start to come around more naturally.
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
What's FFR?
Yyorshire
Flashflashrevolution, another rhythm game, older than osu, it is geared towards accuracy and control on usually technical files.
Evening
1/4 vs 1/8 rolls have big differences when it comes to those high BPM maps.

1/8 rolls are basically jumptrills at this point (eg. [12][34][12][34][12][34][12][34])
where you do chords instead of doing them accurately because there's no way anyone can do those legitimately

as for 1/4 and 1/6 (I don't remember seeing complex AND "time-able" rolls on those maps), care to elaborate the patterns?

I'm going to sound a bit "asshole-ly" but I don't think you should worry about timing rolls at that speed when i refer to your profile
Probably focus on jumptrilling/vibroing fast enough before focusing on if you're actually timing it.

As for training jumptrilling/vibro i'd suggest to focus on jack maps
TruthIsNear
Focus on JumpStream maps to increase your stamina and speed of moving your fingers individually. That should help with slower rolls.

When it comes to the really fast ones, yes, it is like a JumpTrill. However, what you can do is arrange your fingers in a shape of a roll, so that some fingers stick out farther when you JumpTrill. That should help with timing a little bit.
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken

Evening wrote:

1/4 vs 1/8 rolls have big differences when it comes to those high BPM maps.

1/8 rolls are basically jumptrills at this point (eg. [12][34][12][34][12][34][12][34])
where you do chords instead of doing them accurately because there's no way anyone can do those legitimately

as for 1/4 and 1/6 (I don't remember seeing complex AND "time-able" rolls on those maps), care to elaborate the patterns?

I'm going to sound a bit "asshole-ly" but I don't think you should worry about timing rolls at that speed when i refer to your profile
Probably focus on jumptrilling/vibroing fast enough before focusing on if you're actually timing it.

As for training jumptrilling/vibro i'd suggest to focus on jack maps

No problem bro, nothing personal, its just an opinion ^^ and i respect it. in my opinion i do think that i should worry because there are some maps which require good timing on the stairs and if i dont hit it properly.. rip accuracy, and sorry i also forgot to mention that STAIRS is actually the one that im having the most trouble with, and not rolls -_-'... rolls is so much easier than stairs.

So anyone that is reading this thread again, the one im having the most with is STAIRS pattern, i can refer maps to this pattern, maps like triumph and regret - triumph (has like 4 times a fast stairs pattern) and blastix riots 3.52* difficulty has a spam of stairs at the end of the song... this pattern is the one that i hate and have the most trouble with.
TruthIsNear

xnix wrote:

STAIRS is actually the one that im having the most trouble with, and not rolls -_-'... rolls is so much easier than stairs.

i can refer maps to this pattern, maps like triumph and regret - triumph (has like 4 times a fast stairs pattern) and blastix riots 3.52* difficulty has a spam of stairs at the end of the song... this pattern is the one that i hate and have the most trouble with.

It's not just the parts of those maps you recall as STAIRS, the entirety of both maps is literally just STAIRS, or I guess you can call them BROKEN STAIRS, however that doesn't change anything, it doesn't matter whichever side it goes to, or if it looks like it is split in the middle. You just (4Head) need to get good at JUMPSTREAM (read: STAIRS). The faster one usually will be referred to as SPEED in some map packs.

Play maps that are focused on patters used in triumph&regret and blastix 3* like:
Lite Show Magic - Stronghold diff - Insane
DJ TECHNORCH fw. GUHROOVY - KAMAITACHI diff - Hard
Suzaku - VANESSA diff - 4K HD
Camellia ft. Nanahira - Shakunetsu? Candle Master? Tomoshii diff - 4K HD
C-YA - Mother Ship (C-YA Mix) diff - 4K ADVANCED
Kobaryo - Galaxy Friends diff - Hard
Reol - Streaming Heart diff - MX
Camellia - K.Y.A.F.A. diff - Insane
Camellia - Shun no Shifudo o Ikashita Kare Fumi Paeria diff - Hard
C-Show - Invitation from Mr.C diff - ADVANCED (jacks + JS)

Eventually you will get enough finger control.
abraker
To get a better control of stair patterns, you first need to learn how to press and release quickly, per finger.

It's a hunch, but you might be timing the presses poorly by holding the buttons on one hand for too long. This causes there to be less time for your fingers to spend not pressing the keys. What I find is that the larger the release-press time you have, the better shot you have at hitting something accurately.

You could also be releasing the buttons on one hand at the same time by not timing your finger releases appropriately and just raising your hand via wrist. That will certainly throw off the timing at the next ladder since your fingers will have a greater tendency to press at the same time as a result.
show more