forum

Unread post behavior in threads is inconsistent [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
This now works as it used to.
Sakura
Now it always opens the first post instead of the first unread post, is there any way to put the "first unread post" button? or any way to make it go to the first unread post? since i dont remember in which page i was at of every thread.
peppy
We'll see. I'm not sure how to do this design-wise yet.
Sakura
I got an idea, how about clicking on the thread icon:
Kitsunemimi
I think it'll probably work best if you reintroduce the "Jump to last unread post" button. However, I take it that peppy clearly didn't want it there because maybe it was bothersome/cluttering, so perhaps it can be reimplemented in a different way.

However, no matter how much you don't want the button there, without it, there simply won't be any sort of clearcut way to specify whether you want the latest post or the thread OP (by clicking the page 1 link itself). And even then, whenever I open a thread from a link, I've noticed that more times that not, it's directed me to the last unread post when I didn't want it to. And of course, you'd still have the refresh-page jumping to deal with. I just think it would make our lives easier to get the jump to first unread post button back, albeit probably in a nicer, more subtle way.
peppy
I'm just wondering if making the "jump to last post" go to the last unread instead would be a bad idea right now :p.
Sakura

peppy wrote:

I'm just wondering if making the "jump to last post" go to the last unread instead would be a bad idea right now :p.
Who knows, i for one never use that "Jump to last post" button but i dunno if others use it.
Kitsunemimi
I never ever use it either and wouldn't mind if it got switched. Though it may be a little confusing if you just change it without telling anyone.
Mercurial
I miss the old way.
Topic Starter
Derekku

Sakura Hana wrote:

Who knows, i for one never use that "Jump to last post" button but i dunno if others use it.
I did, quite frequently. :c
Topic Starter
Derekku
Just noticed refreshing behavior is still broken like I mentioned in the OP (i.e. scrolling through unread pages and then rolling over to page 1).
peppy
You'll need to be more specific.
Topic Starter
Derekku
1) Click on an unread link from the list of threads on any board.
2) As expected, "&view=unread" gets appended to the thread's url.
3) However, if the thread has multiple pages, upon refreshing you will be cycled to the next unread page and then finally back to page 1.
peppy
I guess I can think of a solution to this one. Will look into it soon.
Sakura
I guess this would be kind of obvious, since when you open a page, it marks all posts on that page (and whatever previous pages if they had) as read, so naturally refreshing would go to the next page.
Topic Starter
Derekku
The thing is, peppy was reverting back to the old behavior, and this is definitely *not* the old behavior. :p
peppy
Pagination issues should now be resolved.
Topic Starter
Derekku
Yep, looks good.

Although, should unread URLs have two forward slashes in them?

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum//p/1550408
"//p/" Not sure if it was intentional to fix things or not!
peppy
Removed the slash.
Topic Starter
Derekku
All good now (:
Topic Starter
Derekku
1) Page n has full replies, is fully read, and there are no new pages.
2) New replies are added, thus creating page n+1 (with unread replies).
3) Use the unread button (from the thread listings) to go the first unread post.
4) Observe that you're directed to page n, which was already fully read, and thus has no unread replies.
5) Observe that page n+1 has new/unread replies, and thus you were taken to the wrong page.
6) Observe that the /p/ url of the first unread post is correct; just the page is incorrect.

Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this. It's only happened to be a handful of times, but I can recall that there were very few replies on the next page (2 or 3 at most). ?____?

EDIT: It seems like this happens when there are new replies on both page n and n+1, but you only read the ones on n and then leave the thread. Later, when checking for unread posts (which are now just on page n+1), you are redirected to the bottom of page n.