forum

Catch the Beat Rules/Guidelines Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Krisom
But for newcomers fruits will be asociated with CtB, since I doubt newcomers will be using a custom skin for CtB. And besides, go look at the achievements or at the Special Modes screen, there's also fruits asociated with CtB.
bomber34
I think you could choose one of them.
If you don't like CtB use Fruit and vice versa
One of them should be in the diff. name.
Topic Starter
Deif
Imo, it'll be better to include the acronym CTB/CtB in the diff name. Otherwise, it won't be correctly named and it'll be confusing for new players/modders.
Krisom

bomber34 wrote:

I like how you think mister.
Drafura
Most taiko diff use taiko in the name, I think it should be the same for CtB. But there's some rare exceptions :

On these 8 results 2 diffs have (Taiko) in the end of the dif name.
Loctav

bomber34 wrote:

This has my approval.
ziin
ctb should be in the tags for that map, and the whole tag system needs to be redone. whatever I'm overthinking the crap out of it.
LKs
hey Deif, I roughly read your words but all of them are right. And I've gotten some questions

1. how to deal with 2 objects at same time and spacing position, like what the pic following shows

This doesn't against your rules cause this is totally catchable and theoretically SSable. And due to this is Ctb Spcific, it does not against the standard rules. (and even if the end and the beginning are partically overlaped, they can be catched too.)
    you know we CtB mappers are used to use this for some hentai maps for fun :3

Accordingly, we might need also some rules that are practical in Odrail's rules, I didn't check them one by one, though.
P.S. I support name it as [LKs' CTB]/[LKs' CtB]
Sakura

LKs wrote:

2 objects at same time
This is unrankable on osu! standard, so it's also unrankable on any other mode, plus it doesn't make any sense to have 2 hit objects overlap on the timeline to begin with.
ziin

Sakura Hana wrote:

LKs wrote:

2 objects at same time
This is unrankable on osu! standard, so it's also unrankable on any other mode, plus it doesn't make any sense to have 2 hit objects overlap on the timeline to begin with.
yes, but I'd like to bring up the point that it doesn't matter and there is no way to mimic that image exactly without it. While you could use a slider tick, I think that it's silly to ban this unless there's some really good reason.
Mercurial
Cup/Salad/Platter/Rain/Overdose/Deluge seems nice.

Also, Deluge is going for approval I think.
LKs

Sakura Hana wrote:

LKs wrote:

2 objects at same time
No, Sakura, you're being so fussy with this topic. Read my post wholly and carefully, I've given the reasons, I considered everthing before I talk.

my post

LKs wrote:

This doesn't against your rules cause this is totally catchable and theoretically SSable. And due to this is Ctb Spcific, it does not against the standard rules. (and even if the end and the beginning are partically overlaped, they can be catched too.)
you know we CtB mappers are used to use this for some hentai maps for fun :3

"EZ2Catch" you can search this on youtube, looking how the origin of CTB(I'm not sure :3) works. Then you would find the sense of my saying.

And I've said, if this is impossible we can

LKs wrote:

Accordingly, we might also need some rules that are practical in Odrail's rules, I didn't check them one by one, though.
This means we'd write those rules into CTB rules for avoiding misunderstand.

At the end, I'd like to let some CTB proficient players to discuss this, I wanna know their opinions.

ziin wrote:

yes, but I'd like to bring up the point that it doesn't matter and there is no way to mimic that image exactly without it. While you could use a slider tick, I think that it's silly to ban this unless there's some really good reason.
I'm wating for a reason :3
Topic Starter
Deif
It was already discussed in another thread, as far as I know...

ZHSteven started to use that stacked sliders in his maps, and uranechan his double notes. I really liked the idea, as it'd make CTB maps more creative, and more similar to EZ2Catch original maps. But as the 1st rule of all says:

No two hitobjects on the same tick. This includes hit circles, starts and ends of sliders, and starts and ends of spinners. Although this may be possible to accomplish while playing, it defeats the purpose of following the rhythm of the song.

I'm afraid it cannot be bent.
LKs

Deif wrote:

It was already discussed in another thread, as far as I know...

ZHSteven started to use that stacked sliders in his maps, and uranechan his double notes. I really liked the idea, as it'd make CTB maps more creative, and more similar to EZ2Catch original maps. But as the 1st rule of all says:

No two hitobjects on the same tick. This includes hit circles, starts and ends of sliders, and starts and ends of spinners. Although this may be possible to accomplish while playing, it defeats the purpose of following the rhythm of the song.

I'm afraid it cannot be bent.
If you guys say no, I can not debeat anything :3
Krisom
I dunno, I think that it should be an exception for CtB unless it actually breaks something, like score (double note) or timing of the notes or anything else.
If not, even if it breaks the rule it doesnt breaks the reason why the rule was mentioned to begin with. "... it defeats the purpose of following the rhythm of the song" as far as I know, in CtB this wouldnt break the rhythm... ...though Odari said no in the other thread, but I'm still unsure of the thechnicall reason behind that besides the "It follows the osu!standar rules"

Anyways, if it'll be a rule, add it to the OP Deif :P
Topic Starter
Deif
I cannot add it to the OP, as that is a rule that affects Standard, Taiko and CTB maps.

However, if somebody wants to have double notes in CTB, he has to create an appropiate thread in this subforum to modify that rule (including CTB maps as an exception).
Sakura
If it's a general rule it affects all maps, no matter which mode they're are played at, so there's no need to add it to the OP.

Technically you can hit a hitcircle and the start of a slider at the same time, technically you can hit 2 dons in taiko at the same time, i don't see why can't you just use hitcircles and sliders instead of linking 2 sliders by joining start/end in the timeline.
Mercurial
A double beat doesn't affect in any mode the rhythm of the song, affect the gameplay in it... but in CtB, if the plate stay in place, that is completely catchable...

Pic related
Into the Editor.

Into the game

So... I can't see anything wrong here.
ziin
it looks bad.

That's good enough for me.
Drafura
I know this kind of slider could be used to make some different kind of unique sliders. Without that you should use circles to make the same pattern you just don't have your tick and droplets...

In my mind I see double beat as a bug, I was surprised to see it was catchable the first time I saw something like that (this doesn't work like that at all in standard). But the thing I dislike more than all with those double beat is the color change. I mean it's supposed to be see as being the same slider while playing (it just takes another direction) but the color change allways makes me say "wtf was that ?". I don't know if i'm the only player thinking that about those sliders...

However if this is allowed you'll need to take care to 3 things :
- Hitsounds. You're going to heard 2 times in the same time the hitsounds, you should use a section to decrease volume.
- Perfectly stacked.
- No triple or more beat. Just the 2 sliders.
Maybe add to this : No new combos (since it's supposed to be the same slider)

tldr; i'm against but if it's allowed do it well...
bwross
I'm not overly happy with the mixing of themes in the level names. I think that they should have a consistent theme so that it's more clear that they are a group, as well as the order (really, a "rain" of fruit would probably contain several orders of magnitude over the LD50 (aka a potentially fatal "overdose")... or apparently, you could go the other way (like in the poll)... it's not that clear).

Examples:
Fruits: Apple, Banana, Cherry, Durian, Eggplant.
The fruit container/amount theme (fits with achievements): Cup, Salad, Platter, Overdose, Mountain.
Or to go with the falling/rain/water theme: Drip, Drizzle, Rain, Deluge, Flood.
eldnl
salad: normal
platter: hard
overdose: insane/extra diffs

enough.
Kurokami

eldnl wrote:

salad: normal
platter: hard
overdose: insane/extra diffs

enough.
yup
ZHSteven
About the stacked two slider, That is all I want to say:

It is a technical way and the only way to change the direction or velocity of a single slider in a ctb map.
And it does not affect anything except the hitsound, which can be manually controlled.

If you guys think sliders in CTB map is the same as notes, I have nothing to say.
But in my opinion, They are NOT.
ziin

ZHSteven wrote:

It is a technical way and the only way to change the direction or velocity of a single slider in a ctb map.
You can change the slope of the slider to make it faster or slower.

ZHSteven wrote:

And it does not affect anything except the hitsound, which can be manually controlled.
It looks bad. Grape on top of pear? How horrid!

ZHSteven wrote:

If you guys think sliders in CTB map is the same as notes, I have nothing to say.
But in my opinion, They are NOT.
I can't see this ever happening. Please make maps with it, but don't expect them to get ranked. Ranking is for maps that meet certain quality standards. Maps that aren't "fun" to play can easily be ranked, mostly due to what people consider to be fun. Maps that have errors in them shouldn't be ranked. Two notes on the same beat are errors and there is no way to fix this.

The CTB slider thing is a workaround for something that you want. A similar workaround was using red timing sections to create hold notes. I don't expect to convince you that you're wrong, because in reality you're not. It's simple to play and serves a good purpose. It's just not rankable, and I think it's important to get that point across.
CLSW
Aw...

Originally EZ2CATCH has 4 mapsets : Easy, Normal, Hard, and Another.

I want this. Fruit names looks like too messy for me.
bomber34
So the poll ended.
Seems like most people want "at least" special fruit(?) based names.
Most of them even want the ENHIX system. (Or in this case C/S/P/R/O/D system ^^)
Does this mean that we use them now?
I would be very happy with that ^^ sry to all those who dislike it
Mercurial
DELUGE! ♥
Topic Starter
Deif
Updated OP. I think there's no need to keep that poll anymore =)
animez15
thats sounds great,,,but it may be confusing to others,,,just be specific on it,,
bomber34
Ok I wondered what OD affects and because most people said it does affect spinner i did two screenshot of the same spinner (tried to get the same time)

You can see the spinners are the same. I also tested other things like normal control, dashing, Hyperfruits and sliders but I am sure nothing changed (I said I am sure because it was just my feeling when testing it. So I may need some other people to test this so i did no mistake)

The only thing that is affected is the maximum score.

So I would say we need a rule about the OD. I say OD must be set to 5 because it is the middle and because it affects nothing there is no need to change that.
Topic Starter
Deif
Okok! After messing a bit with ODs in popular songs, these are the results:

My opinion... OD does affect Max Score, but dunno if it affects to ryuuta stability, Hdash control, Hdash creation, etc

Gotta do more test-play and ask another players to do so.
Drafura
If a fixed OD have to be choose take attention to adjust the max score for a ranked diff (we calculated ~30M based on actual longest ranked standard diffs wich more frequently use OD7-8)
Loctav
Max Score is no matter anymore. The max. score rule on standard diffs has been nuked, because they are about to merge ranked and approved maps and only let gimmick/marathon maps get approved.
Kurokami
I tried t+pazolite - Against Gilgamesh with OD0 and OD10. When I played with OD0 I wasn't able to control the ryuuta, my max combo is below 100. With OD10 max combo is 400 which is the normal. So maybe it affects the ryuuta's stability or something like that. It has a chance that I just suck with my first run tho. ._.
Drafura

Kurokami wrote:

I tried t+pazolite - Against Gilgamesh with OD0 and OD10. When I played with OD0 I wasn't able to control the ryuuta, my max combo is below 100. With OD10 max combo is 400 which is the normal. So maybe it affects the ryuuta's stability or something like that. It has a chance that I just suck with my first run tho. ._.
/offtopic i'm going to think about training with OD0 maps....

/ontopic I'll prefer to have a dev side opinion about that :s Are we going to get all maps OD10 in order to get a better playability ? OD5 is the mid but it not fits with what we are used to play if there's really a difference... Or maybe something like AR=OD ?
bomber34
lol the only one who you could ask is peppy.

mm201 already said that it probaly affects nothing ~
Also Loctav said that points won't play a role in the future so i think the whole OD stuff is ... unnecessary?
I mean I tried it a long long time with OD0 and 10 and after idk 20 plays with both it was 50-50. So i doubt that anything changes with it
Topic Starter
Deif
As there's not a real evidence of the difference of playstyle between different ODs in the same diff, we can set what Drafura said about putting the same OD than AR.

Ranked/bubbled diffs will be out of this decision, of course. If everybody's ok with it, I can include it as a new rule soon:

"Difficulty settings will have to adapt to the requirements of the map/melody, according to its BPM, difficulty, etc. As Overall Difficulty doesn't affect at all the playability of a map, it'll take the same value as the Approach Rate".
eldnl
Overall difficulty can work when the map doesn't have the difficulty or the score that you want, if it doesn't change anything, I can't understand why we need a rule for the OD.
Kurokami
It not makes sense, if it not change anything. I mean, even in taiko, changing the accuracy. (high OD, harder to get 300) So it must change something in ctb too.
show more