forum

All Mode Leaderboards

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +714
Topic Starter
animexamera
We want a leaderboard ranking players using a new value that we call All-Mode-PP.

Q&A

Who are we?
We are the osu!All-Mode-Community! Please notice us...
Why do we want an official Leaderboard?
  1. To be acknowledged by the community!
  2. To make people try more modes and to make people consider becoming an All-Mode-Player
  3. To provide a competitive environment for All-Mode-Players
  4. We want a leaderboard! Just like osu!-Players want to compare themselves and know their standing, we want as well

How do you become an All-Mode-Player?
Just start playing all the modes, if you want to get advice, friends or rivals, join us!
How do you join us?
The best way is to join our Discord Server

In order to create a true All-Mode-Ranking, we do not just want the pp values of all modes being added together, we want to have our own thought-through algorithms.
Our initial Approaches on creating an algorithm that rewards players that play all modes equally well more than players that only play 1 mode:
Percentages
Mode with least pp: 100%
2nd: 80%
3rd: 60%
4th: 40%
That means that the Mode with the lowest pp gets you the most pp, while the highest gives you the littlest pp.
For example:
I have 4000 pp in osu!, 6500pp in osu!taiko, 3000pp in osu!catch and 4000pp in osu!mania.
That means i have a percentage-calculated-pp-value of 3000*100% + 4000*80% + 4000*60% + 6500*40% = 11200pp. However in the process of coming up with even better algorithms we have adjusted various things. Read on under Current Status.

by animexamera

STDEV
STD+Taiko+CTB+Mania-2xSTDEV

This takes your Total-PP and substracts the standard deviation times 2 from it.
Standard deviation is the average error from the mean value, meaning the bigger the difference between the modes is, the more points you will lose.

For example if you had 5000pp in All-Modes you would not gain any penalty at all.
If you had 5000pp in osu! and osu!catch, but 0pp in osu!taiko and osu!mania you would lose a vast amount of points.

by Edgar_Figaro

Current Status
After discussing some ideas on the osu!All-Mode-Discord-Server we came up with 2 algorithms, which we have put in more thought into than our initial approaches. We called them SPP and UPP, with UPP being my favourite, UPP combines both of our initial approaches and SPP using only the standard deviation method.

Goals for these more refined algorithms were:
  1. Having a similiar PP-Value as in current modes, this means that the best player should not have a score of 50000pp but ~15000pp
  2. Having a nice transition from 1-Mode-Players to 4-Mode-Players
    So basically we made sure that people only playing one mode will get a huge cut on their Total-PP score.

You can see our more refined approaches on Google Sheets

If you have any further ideas leave them in the comments.

I am available ingame a lot of the time or on Discord: animexamera#0691
Come join us All-Mode-Players on Discord

Edgar_Figaro
There is already the request for cumulative ranking but that just uses a straight addition so I’d consider this a bit different.

So if I were to plug myself in
STD (100%) 3946 + Mania (80%) 4871(3896.8) + Taiko (60%) 9011 (5406.6) + CTB (40%) 9999 (3996.4) = 17249PP

Although this is an interesting method it seems weird that I end up getting less out of Mania than I do STD or CTB than I do Taiko because of how the weighting works.

Also if someone has all 4 modes exactly equal I don’t think there needs to be any punishment on the subsequent modes.

Although I got lazy and stopped updating it, I had made a weighted cumulative ranking system but instead it worked by subtracting 2 STDEV’s from the straight up addition. This way it rewarded more the more balanced the modes were the closer you’d be to 100% of raw.

The formula was: STD+Taiko+CTB+Mania-2xSTDEV
Using this if you only played 1 gamemode ever you’d have 0 PP, while 2+ you’d start gaining PP. You’d never lose PP from gaining PP though and if all 4 modes were equal the STDEV wouldn’t drop you at all
Topic Starter
animexamera
I see, that is probably a way better way of calculating, i just felt like i want an all mode leaderboard and thought up some ideas on how to make it an actual all mode ranking.
Could you please link the suggestion you are refering to, because i couldnt find another thread suggesting all mode ranking.

I am going to add all ideas in the post in order to discuss on which are bad ideas and which are good ideas, what problems could arise wherever and stuff like that.
Once we got some attention by the osu!dev (or whom ever else we need to get this idea to (maybe peppy)) and discussed our ideas throughly lets hold a vote on which idea is the best or something like that
Petit
such an interesting post, I loved the ranking method you suggested, especially UPP system. Adding all modes ranking will have such benefits: make players encourage to play other modes not only their main mode, and it will make game more activate, and users who balanced at playing every modes can be afformed. I like it