forum

pp: new ranking system

posted
Total Posts
show more
thelewa
Cookiezi doesn't even play, so it's unreasonable to demand that he stays at #1. Everyone knows that he's #1 in skill so it doesn't matter.
Glazbom_old
^this
Ohrami
I don't think it's too much to ask for the best player to be #1, regardless of inactivity. If it's required to play new maps to become #1, then it'd mean farming is possible in this ranking system.
bwross

BlazingFX wrote:

So what does it mean if I'm losing 1 or 2 points every update, even if I'm active?
I can't speak for the actual PP system, but if I was designing a system to meet the requirements presented, then in addition to just playing the game to gain (or maintain rank), the plays would have to be statistically relevant by some metric. Meaning that you'd need to be proving that your rank should be higher, which would require playing maps that are sufficiently hard (or modified to be) for your current rank and then playing them well enough to prove that you dominate them. Playing maps well beneath your level would never be worth anything (ie only people with a really low rating would gain anything from going around top ranking Normals, and they'd very quickly run into a wall... making farming meaningless).

Of course, there's also the issue right now that I'd be wary about comparing things from update to update, because we don't know when or how the system might have been adjusted (but it seems to be stable for the last few). But you may still want to experiment by playing some harder maps and seeing if things don't turn around.
thelewa

Kyou-kun wrote:

I don't think it's too much to ask for the best player to be #1, regardless of inactivity. If it's required to play new maps to become #1, then it'd mean farming is possible in this ranking system.
It's too much to ask. He quit playing. If we think about it that way, WW is the best player right now (just because he actually plays). Cookiezi is the best player ever, but comparing a player who doesn't play anymore to players who play, is just silly.
BlazingFX

bwross wrote:

BlazingFX wrote:

So what does it mean if I'm losing 1 or 2 points every update, even if I'm active?
I can't speak for the actual PP system, but if I was designing a system to meet the requirements presented, then in addition to just playing the game to gain (or maintain rank), the plays would have to be statistically relevant by some metric. Meaning that you'd need to be proving that your rank should be higher, which would require playing maps that are sufficiently hard (or modified to be) for your current rank and then playing them well enough to prove that you dominate them. Playing maps well beneath your level would never be worth anything (ie only people with a really low rating would gain anything from going around top ranking Normals, and they'd very quickly run into a wall... making farming meaningless).

Of course, there's also the issue right now that I'd be wary about comparing things from update to update, because we don't know when or how the system might have been adjusted (but it seems to be stable for the last few). But you may still want to experiment by playing some harder maps and seeing if things don't turn around.
Thanks ^^ I do play hard/insanes too, just without mods, so I don't typically rank in the top 50. (so you don't see this in my profile)
I play the easy ones for SS since i'm an acc hoar ;P
Ohrami

ragelewa wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

It's too much to ask. He quit playing. If we think about it that way, WW is the best player right now (just because he actually plays). Cookiezi is the best player ever, but comparing a player who doesn't play anymore to players who play, is just silly.
But an objective system that doesn't have such knowledge shouldn't take a player's career activity into account. It should only take into account the player's skill. Even if the system did somehow have that knowledge, I still disagree with your claim that White Wolf is the best player right now. Cookiezi still exists so he is still the best player until someone exceeds him, even after his death.
thelewa
I like cake.
Luna
This is not a pure skill ranking, it's a performance ranking.
Cookiezi has quit the game a while ago, so he doesn't perform.
People that actually perform well at the moment can pass him.

Makes a lot of sense to me.
Ohrami

Luna wrote:

But nobody really can pass Cookiezi in most of his top scores. He's still the best.
spar1770
thelewa

Kyou-kun wrote:

Luna wrote:

But nobody really can pass Cookiezi in most of his top scores. He's still the best.
Like that matters. Luna has a point and you can't go against it by saying that cookiezi is still the best.
Ohrami

ragelewa wrote:

Like that matters. Luna has a point and you can't go against it by saying that cookiezi is still the best.
But Luna's point is that people can pass him. I went against it by saying that people can't pass him; he's still better than everyone else. He only "stopped performing" less than a month ago, anyways. That's more of a small break than the end of a career.
maal
donkey dick.

it's everywhere
jakeisquite

Kyou-kun wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

But Luna's point is that people can pass him. I went against it by saying that people can't pass him; he's still better than everyone else. He only "stopped performing" less than a month ago, anyways. That's more of a small break than the end of a career.
OK, we get it. You have a hard-on for cookiezi. Now respond with something productive instead of declaring your love for him in every post.
Mukku
^ Boy, that sure was productive!

jakeisquite how about you start learning how to not be an asshole
thelewa

Kyou-kun wrote:

Did you miss the entire thing about "performing"? If you read that then you would understand. Maybe you're just ignoring that part on purpose.
JappyBabes

Kyou-kun wrote:

He only "stopped performing" less than a month ago, anyways. That's more of a small break than the end of a career.

Cookiezi wrote:

i'll quit osu playing
don't ask play or why
And what ragelewa said.
YodaSnipe
As much as I feel Kyou-kun is correct, I kinda have to agree with the points ragelewa brings up. SImply because this is a "Performance" rating.
Ohrami

JappyBabes wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

He only "stopped performing" less than a month ago, anyways. That's more of a small break than the end of a career.

Cookiezi wrote:

i'll quit osu playing
don't ask play or why
And what ragelewa said.
Just because he said he's quitting osu! doesn't mean that it's true. Anyone who actually knows the petty reasoning behind it would realize that he's coming back eventually anyways. Besides, so far it's been nothing more than a short break.
Neruell
Then shine with the truth upon us, and tell us the "truth" behind that bad words that cookiezi wrote, since I am not one of that chosen people to know all the secrets of life.
peppy
This is supposed to fix having a stagnant ranking. If you want the same people in the top 50 forever, then follow this simple step:

Gon
as much as we all think that cookiezi is still #1 (in our hearts), you can't expect the pp system to rank him as such; cookiezi hasn't been playing for weeks now and WW has 1700+ top ranks (however obscure) which is a ridiculous achievement by itself

i honestly don't think you can just make a new account, SS big black, and watch your pp fly to 6.6k. there is -some- sort of farming involved, one song or maybe a hundred doesnt cover all aspects of the game imo
Hanyuu
I think it is good as it is and very accurate :)
jakeisquite

Kyou-kun wrote:

Just because he said he's quitting osu! doesn't mean that it's true. Anyone who actually knows the petty reasoning behind it would realize that he's coming back eventually anyways. Besides, so far it's been nothing more than a short break.
I would personally find a month more than a "short" break but that's just me. Not playing for a period of time will decrease your PP slightly. It's that simple.
Wishy

Kyou-kun wrote:

Peppy mentioned today in the #osu chat that a Hidden SS score is better than a 96% Hidden+DoubleTime score in terms of Performance Points by about 50%. I'd just like to point out that if this is truly the case and it remains, this ranking system will be inaccurate for a number of reasons.
LOL.

Ok so, peppy, is that true or not?
peppy
It was a number I pulled from my ass in casual chat, with little relevance. I stated as such, but have of course been quoted out of context.

23:06 < Kyou-kun> for example, HDDT 96% is better than HD 100%
23:06 <@ppy> not anymore
23:06 <@ppy> it's around 50% worse
23:06 <@ppy> but i didn't say that
That said, I don't entirely disagree with such a statement (which is why I said it). If you can't play DT accurately then don't. Accuracy > All (and nothin' you say can change my mind on that one).
Wishy
So what do you think about this:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29044

Is SiLviA's score worth more than Cookiezi's because of accuracy@new ranking system?
peppy
I'm not releasing such details, apart from saying it is "fair". If you can't accept that then -> [door]
Wishy
I'm just asking about a case like that, where I'm sorry but it's way too clear that Cookiezi's score is even harder than HR+HD SS meaning it should be worth way more than some HD SS. If you really think SiLviA's score is worth more than Cookie's there well... then your system will fail to judge player's "performances".

Don't edit my posts you can just answer them by clicking quote.
Topic Starter
kriers

peppy wrote:

That said, I don't entirely disagree with such a statement (which is why I said it). If you can't play DT accurately then don't. Accuracy > All (and nothin' you say can change my mind on that one).
You have my full support for your view on accuracy
_Angel
So, for good perfomance I have to stop skilling up, and i need just to play every single map with hd over9000 times until got SS?

BlazingFX
No just get good, even with bad accuracy, then come back and fix it once you're good
Topic Starter
kriers

_Angel wrote:

So, for good perfomance I have to stop skilling up, and i need just to play every single map with hd over9000 times until got SS?
Stop skilling up? I don't get it.
JappyBabes

kriers wrote:

_Angel wrote:

Stop skilling up? I don't get it.
I'd assume not playing maps with difficult mods because SS is worth more.
Ohrami
DoubleTime reduces the timing window for hitting a 300 by 1.5x. DoubleTime also makes the player play 1.5x as fast on top of this. Because of this, people typically aren't as accurate as with Hidden, which is basically just an alternate approach circle. Accuracy is rewarded just fine in this game. Score needs to be the main focus of this ranking system because of the reasons I listed on page 58.
peppy
Here's a little suggestion guys: rather than listening to these preachers, go improve your scores and watch your pp increase. Don't examine too closely because I guarantee that is counter-productive. I know how this game works; I know the flaws of the score system and I know how to solve them. This is my solution.
Topic Starter
kriers
I'd like to know, though. Is this an act to revert player's focus away from DT spam and back on to SS ranking again?
BlazingFX
Well if you're good at DT like Black Sheep or something, works the same!
thelewa
This is a rhythm game. People tend to forget that simple thing for some reason.

So yeah, accuracy should be considered more than it is right now, so I'm glad about this.
show more