forum

pp: new ranking system

posted
Total Posts
show more
roym899
I really think it works like someone said few pags before:
You get points by good ranks in popular maps. The problem is that the calculation seems to be quite complicated and that's why the ratings are very unstable right now as the system just goes through all the beatmaps calculating the score.

Atleast that's what I think.
theowest

grumd wrote:

I'd add a rule that diffs with star rating lower than 4 stars will not be included into calculating at all =\
sounds good.
galvenize

theowest wrote:

grumd wrote:

I'd add a rule that diffs with star rating lower than 4 stars will not be included into calculating at all =\
sounds good.
Sounds good if the star rating system wasn't inconsistent.
theowest

galvenize wrote:

theowest wrote:

sounds good.
Sounds good if the star rating system wasn't inconsistent.
so true
bomber34
I just hope we can keep the old one while having the new one seperate.
I guess in a few days we will see how this gonna be :D
roufou
Taiko:#999--->#532

I don't object
Waryas
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/touchscreenpro
Look at this hacker, higher than me with only 5 top10
wtf?
Necro Neko
It's just a ranking thingy. Nothing special.
Tanzklaue

Waryas wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/touchscreenpro
Look at this hacker, higher than me with only 5 top10
wtf?
lol, this guy is still not deleted?
JonnyThatJonny

Loctav wrote:

Whatever. If this stays like it appears to be, this is something more telling about having no life than having skill at all :x
So you're saying that trying to get top scores or high ranks is less skill and more "no life" than playing through an ocean of maps?

Of course there is no possible rank system without grinding here, but jeez
Xau_old
ranking systems will never be perfect
hi jonny
Maraiga
xau coco
Neruell
As long as Cookiezi is not #1, the new system is crap. No need for a ranking system to find that out.
ziin

Neruell wrote:

As long as Cookiezi is not #1, the new system is crap. No need for a ranking system to find that out.
if you don't play there's no way to gauge that.

If we both play the exact same song 100 times, and you get a higher score than me 99 of those times, but I still have the highest score value, who is the better player? Do we say you just because you are more consistent? Or do we say me because I am more perfect/lucky?

So long as he's high on the list, it should be acceptable. Clearly if he wasn't on the first page it would be stupid.
Salvage
^

So true, i'm against being a fanboy but it's impossible to deny that in this game.

EDIT: Damn new page, was directed to Neruell post tho.
Loctav

JonnyThatJonny wrote:

Loctav wrote:

Whatever. If this stays like it appears to be, this is something more telling about having no life than having skill at all :x
So you're saying that trying to get top scores or high ranks is less skill and more "no life" than playing through an ocean of maps?

Of course there is no possible rank system without grinding here, but jeez
Rankwhoring self isnt that bad. The only thing that disturbs me, that apparanty the ones who rankwhore on every difficulty (so they SS a Hard and an Easy but fail at the Insane) have far higher ranks than the one who skip those diffs and pass the Insane/Oni with S on HR.
MMzz
This is still rank whoreing lol.
Gaba

Loctav wrote:

Rankwhoring self isnt that bad. The only thing that disturbs me, that apparanty the ones who rankwhore on every difficulty (so they SS a Hard and an Easy but fail at the Insane) have far higher ranks than the one who skip those diffs and pass the Insane/Oni with S on HR.
Exactly, Incognito on #23 shows that. He just rankwhores easy's and normals and is above half of osu that is better than him.
benguin
So much speculation in this thread. xD I hope to know how this ranking system works later on, as of right now I have a better rank than people who are much better than me, which just makes things really confusing. D:
JonnyThatJonny

Loctav wrote:

Valid point, but the system probably will still ballance in terms of value per difficulty, or I hope so at least. I didn't really check much and wasn't online but didn't the formula before this one (was reset hours ago) valued harder difficulties a lot more than easier ones?
koki_old_1
from 5k to 710 woah

and I don't ever rank at all anyway
fruitdealer_old
how about a system based on replays watched by others?
NeoRainier
I keep thinking that top40 on easier diffs should weight a lot less than insanes&friends.
Maybe exponentially?
Salvage

fruitdealer wrote:

how about a system based on replays watched by others?

easy to exploit
thelewa
Trying to make a skill based ranking into a game like osu! is a silly idea anyway. It sounds good when you're planning it but actually trying to make it happen is impossible. Also the ladder idea is ridiculous, because this is a casual rhythm game.

A casual rhythm game that you play to pass the time, or for fun. Not to compete against other players in some weird multiplayer rooms to get higher on the rankings. Actually the whole idea of playing against another player in real time in a rhythm game is retarded.
Xact
Is ??? magnetic in nature? how does it work?
Mukku

ragelewa wrote:

Actually the whole idea of playing against another player in real time in a rhythm game is retarded.
What, how, why, when, how?? It's been happening for years already and suddenly it's retarded? What is this?
Topic Starter
kriers

Mukku wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

Actually the whole idea of playing against another player in real time in a rhythm game is retarded.
What, how, why, when, how?? It's been happening for years already and suddenly it's retarded? What is this?
sharing personal opinions has happened for thousands of years!
shaneoyo
I sincerely hope this system doesn't weigh easy-hard high scores anywhere near as respectable as insane high scores.
Luna

shaneoyo wrote:

I sincerely hope this system doesn't weigh easy-hard high scores anywhere near as respectable as insane high scores.
#7 Gomo Psivarh

u.u
JonnyThatJonny
Bah humbug on your cold hearted analysis, don't ruin my synchronized single player between multiple players with only one try mode.
darkmiz
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/345911

5 play counts and ranked #149 with 1,314 ???
M i l o t i c

darkmiz wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/345911

5 play counts and ranked #149 with 1,314 ???
may be it is his" Replays Watched by Others".
DeletedUser_414409
uwow i got 16 D:
T-C[222]
It is the time that you are connected in-game. I leave osu! for 1 hour, and it is lower now.
R e d
i think what peppy is trying to do is;

--> You get X points by a top rank(map rank), calculated by the players rank behind you (in that map rank)

For example, a beatmap that with top 5# Silvia, 4# white wolf if you get 2# you get a lot of "???" points.

So if you pass higher rank players in beatmaps, you get a lot of points. (Ofc this is hard to do lol)
Its like getting our averange map rank. but competing with others.

Why top rank players in Difficulty Easy and normal have so much "???" points?

they get a lot of points cuz they are above Good rankings players! Example: They are above osuplayer111 that play easy's and normal's for Acc only. Or any other player that do it for fun or to pratice when was neewbie.

This is just my theory after all! xD
Aoko
So now rank matters.
G0r
I don't know about that theory about it being some ratio of how many good players you outrank. I had no ??? score this morning, and then I got some relatively average scores on something like five maps, and all of a sudden I have 56 ???. I can't imagine what the hell it could mean... unless maybe it just takes a while for all the profiles to update with it somehow? I don't know.
benguin
Lol, this system is hilarious. I had 124 ??? earlier, and now I have 22 ???. There are a lot of theories out there, but I'm not going to put my full trust into them until some real word comes out about how the new ranking system works.
Tom69_old
It's getting better now imho.
I see a very high percentage of High-Skilled players in the top100. WAY higher than in the current score-ladder.
Also ragelewa is #1 finnish!

It's not really sorted by skill, more by amount of ranks, but at least it accounts for the map difficulties a lot better now. If this is still getting improved I totally can't complain about this as a form of a rough skill measurement.
show more