forum

Tips for reading high AR beatmaps.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kanye West
I consider myself fairly average at hitting notes accurately and streaming speed/accuracy but lately it seems like when I play hards/insanes with Hard Rock or other beatmaps with AR9/10, I just can't keep up with reading the notes and end up getting a lot of 100's/misses. It seems like speed isn't as much of an issue to me as actually reading the notes themselves. Anyone got any tips to read fast AR beatmaps and/or any good ones to practice with?
winber1
Just hardrock everything even before playing a map for the first time. Leaving the background in also helps to help your vision and reflexes. I still do that a lot, though for me it's usually double time, i don't hardrock things that much, and i still suck at AR 10 anyways.

If AR 10 is way too fast for you, which it was for me months ago, you could just double time somewhat slow songs with AR 8. The approach rate is approximately AR 9.5. It's in between 9 and 10, or at least that's what it seems like when I play double time.

Probably better to just go all out and just play AR 11 things lulz.

Final point: there's no easy way, or easier way, just go play maps with HR or double time or both.

edit: oh and on a side note, when i couldn't read AR 10 at all, I thought that the only way possible was if I was just staring at the center of the screen so I could see everything that was happening. This became a really stupid idea to be honest as I later realized (at least for me). You don't really need to do that; it's really all about reflex.
Luvdic
What I do is to focus your vision on the notes as they come in rather than focusing it on the cursor.
dNextGen
Play DT + black background + focus your vision on the notes
Wishy
1- Focus your sight on the notes.
2- Master AR 9.
3- Start doing AR 8 DTs. Master that AR.
4- Start playing Insane maps + HR.
5- Always play with a plain background, meaning completely black, or grey, or whatever you like.

Skip 3 may be omitted, and remember HR can be sometimes harder to clear than DT because of higher HP Leech and OD.

Try not to DT maps with very high BPMs, order maps by BPM (top-right tab) and play what you feel you can do. Same with HR don't go playing maps with small circles on HR since they gonna be very hard for you to play.

Note: Remember some maps show a low BPM and are still high, since they show 1/2 of the real BPM for mapping reasons I suppose.
Waryas
1) Master AR9
2) Master AR8+DT
3) Master AR8/9/10+HR (hr caps at AR10 and it's 1.4x)
4) Master AR6+DT+HR (it's slightly faster than ar10)
5) Master AR9+DT
6) Master AR7+HR+DT

There are 2 important parts in fast ar : reaction time AND rhythm.
You can't play high ar without rhythm, part of your reaction comes with the rhythm
BlazingFX
silly question but how do you tell AR >_>
Mesita
when i couldn't HR at all, i played this map for 1 whole day till i fc it: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/20008 + HR of course.
after that HR was very easy.
ampzz
Here's another solution: Grind the heck out of 07th Expansion - rog-unlimitation until AR10 now becomes your bread and butter.

Then start having fun with approaching a false AR11 with AR9 double time runs or just keep spectating double time players that play DT religiously.

It's how I got the ability to read them myself just can't tap as quick since my left hand is craptacular in comparison to my right.
Rhythm tapping the higher bpm is a very hard task though.
OzzyOzrock
The answer to everything in osu! is practice.
Topic Starter
Kanye West

OzzyOzrock wrote:

The answer to everything in osu! is practice.
Truth. I just wanted to know the process that some people took (e.g. what beatmaps are good for practicing on, etc.)
dNextGen

BlazingFX wrote:

trained eyes /o/
winber1
wut. why u guys remove background. I rarely ever remove it ._. i don't like removing background anyways
i feel it helps more to be able to read AR10+ with background, or maybe i'm mistaken idk.

dNextGen wrote:

BlazingFX wrote:

trained eyes /o/
if i'm not mistaken, are you asking how do we know it's AR 9 and 10? cuz that's just from the osu! editor. you can go edit any song and press f4 (song setup menu) and check the difficulty tab.
thelewa
Removing backgrounds is a shortcut. Playing with backgrounds is wiser now that osz2 is nearing.
dNextGen

winber1 wrote:

wut. why u guys remove background. I rarely ever remove it .
pro
those
HD helps with high AR.
bomber34
What helped me is playing AR10 with DT and HR a really long time (with No-Fail ofcourse)
AR 9 is really slow then ...
Only problem with getting used to high AR is that you are not able to play low AR as good as before anymore :(
Drafura

winber1 wrote:

wut. why u guys remove background.
Because it cost nothing. Buying glasses to see the circles yes.
BlazingFX
I will start trying to read high AR maps! haha

How much AR does HR add again? 2?
giant panda
HR multiplies by 1.4, anyways I doubletime + hardrock + hidden 5 star songs, i fail almost instantly but retry until i get about half way through the song. The point is to practice like that to learn the muscle memory, its pure reflex.l
Soaprman
For me, falling in love with a high AR map helped. Another factor, I think, is the map itself. Not all maps that have high AR actually work well with it. I've played maps where AR 9 helps and maps where it really should have been AR 8.

I guess since it's come up in a few posts, I should note that I play with background images, storyboards, and videos left intact.
Topic Starter
Kanye West
This one is also pretty good for AR9: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29290
Luvdic

Soaprman wrote:

I've played maps where AR 9 helps and maps where it really should have been AR 8.
And I have played maps where it really should have been AR9.

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13235
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/12483

Those are just some examples where I cant even pass the map with AR8, but when manually changed it to AR9, everything suddenly improves so much more, like having only 2-4 misses, hey! I know I'm not a great player, but whatever, I hate when that happens.
Pizzicato
got used to AR9 when i got addicted to this map
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/22276
JAKACHAN
Just play a bunch of maps with HR and over time you will get better :] There aren't really specific maps that you can play just play anything that has a decent circle size (Unless you want to learn crazy small circles as well) throw on HR and get to it.
Neruell
Through your tablet away because it is brain-control time.
ampzz

ErufenRito wrote:

And I have played maps where it really should have been AR9.

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13235
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/12483

Those are just some examples where I cant even pass the map with AR8, but when manually changed it to AR9, everything suddenly improves so much more, like having only 2-4 misses, hey! I know I'm not a great player, but whatever, I hate when that happens.
You see, with maps like these they promote players to actually work on snapping between jumps which is another perfectly good skill for players to try and gain as overall it will allow you to sit on the beat for a while (after you adjust to it) and focus more on reading the approaching circle/ following the mapped rhythm.

AR9 for maps with a few jumps in it is just plain silly at times and doesn't really reward anything but people who cannot read lower approach rates which isn't that hard.

The main thing you should do is find a handful of maps which not only do you like listening to (this is a massive thing which most people generally skip) but also have the approach rate set to nine and work on those for a while.

Do not forget to toss in some AR7/8 practice every now and then just so you don't become like quite a few other people who can play nothing but AR9+.
show more