forum

Is this any good?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Villfuk02
This is the first beatmap, which I'm proud of and I'd just like to know how bad it is.
It's not ready to be ranked or anything, because It only has one difficulty, but if by any chance you thought it is rankable, I can make the easier difficulties.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/844438#osu/1766462
Solitaire
Im just gonna give you some advice right now.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RANK YOUR FIRST MAPSET. It's not worth the time taken to polish it. I don't mean any offense by this, but no matter how much you polish a ball of dirt, it's still a ball of dirt. Make some shorter 1 difficulty maps to practice mapping, and then make a mapset for rank once you feel you feel like you have enough experience. I'm going to tell you now, this set (even if you make other difficulties) is not of ranking standards.
Topic Starter
Villfuk02
I know that it needs more than a few months to git gud, and i totally understand you. I'd just like to know whats wrong about the beatmap. There are probably tons of issues, but if you could pick out some major ones which I can work on eliminating (by making more bad maps), that would really help.
Aiseca
I think you have a basic feel in terms of the beat. However, when I looked at you map, the first thing that I noticed is the choice of game mode....

1. The Song is more fitting/ leaning towards Mania than the Standard mode simply because of the way the song progresses. It loops for a few rounds before it starts changing. (In which I see is pretty boring when the same sound is looped for 10 sec plus.
  2. Make sure your BPM is only one (if possible and supported) in which I think applicable to your map.
  3. Spacing, SV and patterns + flow. Read or watch ranked maps and analyze them in the editor on how they designed such songs. (from there, you can see that there is a pattern to which you can notice.)

Advice to you is : Pick a song which can fit on the game mode you are aiming at. Most songs can be done in all modes but a few songs still works better on their proper game modes.

And always ask for help :)
They may be too many pessimist, but there is always people who would help.

Study, have fun and feel it. When you do, that's where creativity starts working.
Most of all, NEVER GIVE UP.
Topic Starter
Villfuk02
I don't see the bpm changes as a major problem (its only 128 - 130). The bigger problem might be that I don't like other modes, so I want to map for the classic mode and not the others. And If the songs don't "fit" that's bad. But I think a skilled mapper can make a good beat map for any song which a normal person could listen to. You might not be able to reach >2 star difficulty without overmapping, but easy maps are not necessarily bad maps.

And the biggest problem is, that I am not able to utilize the whole playfield in some continuous way. If I hear structured stuff, i make a repeating pattern around the middle - It might be my style, because I like it. But it is very bornig and repetitive. I am yet unable to think of object placement in the general ranked style and I don't seem to be improving. :(
ZulexlimGX
I think the map is taking a good path, once you learn the edit tools more it will be better...
1- But as mentioned before i think the beat is a little off, sometimes the beat does not match when you click the circle corresponding to it, so I would try to work on that.
2- Keep the song, its your first map, choose and do whatever you want, i don't think the song is bad, I actually like it.
3- You never know if in the future you'll be a greater beatmap creator so keep up the work and practice to be better at it don't let people make you down you have a lot of potential

I said all of this as an osu player not as a beatmap creator since i have little experience at it, its just my only thoughts so good luck!
Aiseca

Villfuk02 wrote:

I don't see the bpm changes as a major problem (its only 128 - 130). The bigger problem might be that I don't like other modes, so I want to map for the classic mode and not the others. And If the songs don't "fit" that's bad. But I think a skilled mapper can make a good beat map for any song which a normal person could listen to. You might not be able to reach >2 star difficulty without overmapping, but easy maps are not necessarily bad maps.

And the biggest problem is, that I am not able to utilize the whole playfield in some continuous way. If I hear structured stuff, i make a repeating pattern around the middle - It might be my style, because I like it. But it is very bornig and repetitive. I am yet unable to think of object placement in the general ranked style and I don't seem to be improving. :(

You may (and I) can say that 128 and 130 timing points is no issue but, if going for ranked, that's not a valid reason (well unless you can prove that it is necessary to place another new red bar there because of metronome reset.)....

About song choice, I don't imply that easy maps are bad. I said that:

"Most songs can be done in all modes but a few songs still works better on their proper game modes."

I used the word 'still works better' because I can agree to you that skilled mappers can do magic on most songs whenever they want. (well even a few songs that doesn't even make sense or can't be classified as song but utter noise)

You are actually great in picking up beat patterns. You are mostly troubled with how to use the playfield efficiently. (Don't rush too much. Mapping great songs doesn't happen in a week or so. :3)

As advised by others, use that first map as a training map to experiment and learn mapping. I don't see any harm on that.
Topic Starter
Villfuk02
Thanks for all of the tips!
show more