forum

Anything 3* pretty much impossible?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank
So I've come to the conclusion that anything with a ranking towards the upper end of the 2* going into 3 star bracket is pretty much ridiculous/impossible nonsense, not only often times due to the speed of the song, but because of the utterly impossible devices used (bizarre multi-bounces that you can't even see), sections obscuring other parts of the sequence and other nonsense. Obviously it varies from song to song and there is no strict ranking, but I'm generalising in this region to give you and idea of what I am talking about.

I'm playing with a mouse on a pc, which just browsing the forum looks as though that's not how people play so maybe that's a factor in what I'm finding.

I'm assuming that there's basically no way to do this level and above without a pen device? even then though, the clusterfuck of some sections I've seen are obviously just there as some sort of troll because they would be impossible even with a more accurate input device.
Zozimoto
you don't need a tablet to play the harder half of 2* maps, you have to just practice a lot
Justified
Just play more and eventually you'll be able to do 3*
Juuuuuuuuul
You have only 8 hours play time, you're not ready for 3*
Download up to 5000 beatmaps, sort them by difficulty, and play all, starting from easy, don't skip stuff.
Xirai
For me it sounds like you struggle with reading maps.

Thats normal. You will have this again with 4* or 5* maps...

I cannot read some 4* maps.

Just try other maps, get used to faster approach circles...learn the harder patterns by playing.

It is not impossible but people learn with Different speed.

I played 100 hours until i started 4* maps. Im a slow learner.

Other people play 4* maps easily after a few hours.
KupcaH
It's not just possible, but actually pretty easy to learn if you put effort into this game.

And no, you can play this game easily with mouse.

Also, can you link these "impossible" maps? Because maybe you downloaded some unranked maps which are indeed are impossible to play.

Xirai wrote:

Other people play 4* maps easily after a few hours.
That's completely false, no one can play 4* easily only after few hours.
Eroge chan
I just started playing this game on June and I can already pass 4* maps, just play more and you'll eventually pass them.

mouse or not, it probably depends on your play style. I'm a mouse player cuz i'm too poor to buy a tablet
ManuelOsuPlayer

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

So I've come to the conclusion that anything with a ranking towards the upper end of the 2* going into 3 star bracket is pretty much ridiculous/impossible nonsense, not only often times due to the speed of the song, but because of the utterly impossible devices used (bizarre multi-bounces that you can't even see), sections obscuring other parts of the sequence and other nonsense. Obviously it varies from song to song and there is no strict ranking, but I'm generalising in this region to give you and idea of what I am talking about.

I'm playing with a mouse on a pc, which just browsing the forum looks as though that's not how people play so maybe that's a factor in what I'm finding.

I'm assuming that there's basically no way to do this level and above without a pen device? even then though, the clusterfuck of some sections I've seen are obviously just there as some sort of troll because they would be impossible even with a more accurate input device.
Check your settings, maybe you have something really wrong. You don't need a pen device for nothing. You need practice. 8 hours playing is nothing.
RamenBucket
Try a new skin? The default one has solid hitcircles so that's probably why you can't see through stacked notes. I'd suggest using the skins the pro players use like rafis or cookiezi.
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank

RamenBucket wrote:

Try a new skin? The default one has solid hitcircles so that's probably why you can't see through stacked notes. I'd suggest using the skins the pro players use like rafis or cookiezi.

Can you link these skins wherever I get them from? I have no idea what they are or what they would look like.

Edit: think I've found them. I like the transparent hit-circles but there is no feedback on what you have clicked and scored per hit. Without that it's hard to know whether you are even hitting or missing let alone whether you are in time.
Alongal
I'm mouse and keyboard player and I'm starting to play 4* maps, so you don't need a pen. For playing 3* maps try to FC the 2* maps and if you use HR when playing low-mid 2* maps even better. I needed like 15h to being able to get at least C's at low 3* maps. Also, playing more and different maps, will make you used to the AR, CS... and some patterns like the multi-bounces you said. Regarding to the skin, I would recommend: apxr; Doomsday+v3.1_blue or comfort.

Btw, check Doomsday stream, he's a mouse player.
RamenBucket

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

Can you link these skins wherever I get them from? I have no idea what they are or what they would look like.

Edit: think I've found them. I like the transparent hit-circles but there is no feedback on what you have clicked and scored per hit. Without that it's hard to know whether you are even hitting or missing let alone whether you are in time.

I'm assuming the "feedback" that you are talking about is the 300s that pup up when you hit a note. Usually, pro skins omit this to make it less distracting. There still are 100s, 50s and misses that pop up so you can tell if you're off-beat.
VinZentVanDough

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

Mouse + EZ players would laugh

You are obviously playing things above your skill levels (especially with only a few hours on play count.). You should start slow on 1.6* to 2.5* according to your profile.

Another thing is that you can use the keyboard for clicking, if you didn't knew that
Xirai
There are ppl Who learn really fast. I know one.... but to be honest: she had played Tons of other rhythm games before including final fantasy theathrysm which has kind of circle clicking too... and this one mobile game... idk its name cyran? Cyrriz? Sth with c...

And she owned a tablet...so she started with ease. She already had some map reading skills from other games (but i think the hardest ff music game maps are like maybe 2-3 star maps in osu, havent played that mobile game because i have mobile osu...)
KupcaH

Xirai wrote:

There are ppl Who learn really fast. I know one.... but to be honest: she had played Tons of other rhythm games before including final fantasy theathrysm which has kind of circle clicking too... and this one mobile game... idk its name cyran? Cyrriz? Sth with c...

And she owned a tablet...so she started with ease. She already had some map reading skills from other games (but i think the hardest ff music game maps are like maybe 2-3 star maps in osu, havent played that mobile game because i have mobile osu...)
Yes, there are people who's learning fast. But no one can play 4* easily after few hours. That's bullshit.
dung eater
Game requires a set of skills you lack. If you have played a lot of fast paced and precision requiring mouse games, aiming will be easy. If you haven't your mouse setup (ergonomy/environment) and settings are probably far from optimal and you'll see big improvements after some trial and error (weeks, months).
DXPOHIHIHI
keep in mind you barely played osu and your playtime is not even ready for 3* yet
Topic Starter
DrTrouserPlank
Looking at most of the upper 2 and 3 star stuff it just looks like utter bullshit where you have to literally memorise the sequence and spend hours just repeating it over and over until you can do it. Something which I'm obviously not going to be doing since that isn't a game, it's work lol.

Mid 2 on hard rock seems about the most that is possible just from playing a track for the first time (but HR really doesn't make it any harder anyway). Anything else just looks like it's memory. Kind of like once you reached the silly levels on guitar hero.
Xirai
I find 5*-6* most logic to the music to be honest.

Low star just look for one kind of beat that is very simplified.

Sometimes i struggle with 3* maps because i find them so offbeat.

Like i said 5*-6* is less offbeat for me... but unfortunately i often cannot finish such maps because they are too hard for me.

You could also try to play 3*-4* maps on relax and see if you find them less offbeat then you habe a goal you can work to reach.

We all started one day...and to get better you have to play.

You can also play 3* maps with "no fail" mod. You will get less score and more misses but i prefer having "no fail and enjoying the maps" over "being bored or having to play offbeat maps".

Have in mind the beatmaps are from the community. Some hear a beat different than you.
Rynnavinx

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

Looking at most of the upper 2 and 3 star stuff it just looks like utter bullshit where you have to literally memorise the sequence and spend hours just repeating it over and over until you can do it. Something which I'm obviously not going to be doing since that isn't a game, it's work lol.

Mid 2 on hard rock seems about the most that is possible just from playing a track for the first time (but HR really doesn't make it any harder anyway). Anything else just looks like it's memory. Kind of like once you reached the silly levels on guitar hero.

No, you have 9 hours of gameplay and you just need to play more and get better at reading the circles. You'll come to a point where you'll realize that almost no map needs to be memorized if you have the reading skills for it, and that the most memorization you'll usually need is "this one part goes like this."

Beside the "getting a better skin" tip, another tip would be to set the background dim to like, 95-100% in the options menu. That should make reading easier.

Just play easier maps for now. Play stuff that you can do good on and shoot for A ranks with not too many misses.

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

I like the transparent hit-circles but there is no feedback on what you have clicked and scored per hit. Without that it's hard to know whether you are even hitting or missing let alone whether you are in time.

Im guessing you mean the 300s that show up when you hit a circle. Almost all skins take those out, but only the 300s, because that's the best score, and should be the score you get the most. If you see it everytime, it'll be distracting. This way, you can focus on what you're doing and the skin will only tell you when you're doing something wrong.

Now as for the feedback and "in time" part, they're still there. If you hit a circle, you should hear a hitsound. If you miss or hit it way off/out of order, you shouldn't hear any hitsound. You can also determine if you're late or early in order to keep in time by listening to those sounds. Hitsounds are much better feedback, and if you cant hear them, you should turn your effect volume way up.

Oh and lastly, you don't need a pen. There are mouse players in the top 50. You'll be fine. Just play with a keyboard as well, and not mouse only.
im flat
i struggle to pass 4*
tomatas95
I'm a mouse player and i can complete 5's
HawkAussie
Just take the time and slowly build up your skill levels as some people can do it like that while others need to get into a rhythm before going forward to the harder maps.
show more