forum

What am I missing/not noticing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Capone3830
Basically I've been playing osu for quite a while now and it just seems as if I'm not improving anymore, yet there seem to be other players that are about three times as good as I am, which is from my point of view, impossible, looking at the limits of human reaction time, general cognition skills and finger speed.

And I'm not even talking about all those top ~100 players, but in general those you find quite a lot of in multiplayer, those that play insane maps on double time which you cant even finish. Generally, I see three possibilities.

A: I am terribly bad at this game
B: They practice around 500 times more than I do
C: Theres something within the settings/controllers that gives an ENOURMOUS advantage.

Regarding C, I'm using keyboard + mouse, 1920x1080 fullscreen, 1,1 mose sensitivity on a normal retail mouse and generally use 2 fingers for streams and one for normal beats.

So, if you have any idea what it could be, Please do tell :o
Lance
There are a few little things you can do like disabling enhanced pointer precision or removing mouse acceleration within registry, but really what it comes down to in the end (at least that I have found) is practice and having naturally quick reflexes. I do not have the latter so I just practice a lot.
thelewa
You're either good from the very beginning or you just practice more than others. No way around it.

That's how you get good at this game.
Zelmarked
Get used to using 2 fingers for everything. Not using your off finger makes it the weak link for streams.

I play 1080p as well. A lot play with 800 x 600. I cannot personally confirm this is better. I haven't set aside time to test it.

Disable video if you haven't already. Eyes are attracted to motion and if your eyes are devoting any attention to the BG, they aren't giving enough to the notes.

Edit: And practice. I get noticeably better at this game every weekend I get to play.
Liut
Practice.
And also know your limit.
Boom
You need to practice,practice and practice.
And use No Video if it make you confused about video and note.
Pizzicato

do you have that box checked on ur mouse settings
darkmiz
The pros who play insane double time can read Approach Rate 10 with ease.

Train your reflexes by playing Hard Rock on hard difficulty maps (mostly AR 7 or 8) or go to the editor and adjust Approach Rate manually.

Hard rock also trains your mouse precision.

But reflexes is not enough for double time, you need finger speed.

Train a lot of stream maps, such as those in the stream compilation.

Equipment is not everything, look at the Catch the Beat pros. They play the same way as everybody, and they improve only with practice.
kriers

ragelewa wrote:

You're either good from the very beginning or you just practice more than others. No way around it.

or both
dNextGen
just play,and find the most comfortable hand position while playing

i played much better after changing my reso from 1366x768 to 1024x768 though
thelewa

kriers wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

or both
blasphemy
kriers

ragelewa wrote:

blasphemy
Where can I go to confess my sins? :(
Kodoshi
it's the sad truth, if you're born with no skill at all like me all you can do is trying and practice a lot, the only natural talent i've got is being lazy, if you're the same then you're screwed
those

kriers wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

blasphemy
Where can I go to confess my sins? :(
Here; you can teach me how to be pro like you
Wishy
You don't even have 10.000 plays, and:

How do you even expect to be decent? Quit playing stupid low difficulties go play the real deal, you won't be good at all if all you do is play normal/hards. With 1000 plays you should be able to play Insanes, you have over 9000 and seem to be playing just low diffs.
thelewa

Kodoshi wrote:

it's the sad truth, if you're born with no skill at all like me all you can do is trying and practice a lot, the only natural talent i've got is being lazy, if you're the same then you're screwed
My natural talent is procrastination, I'll play osu! when I'm supposed to do something else.
kriers
introducing a 4th possibilty aka D :They practice way more efficient than you. Good point, Wishy ;p
eldnl

Wishy22 wrote:

How do you even expect to be decent? Quit playing stupid low difficulties go play the real deal, you won't be good at all if all you do is play normal/hards. With 1000 plays you should be able to play Insanes and you skill have over 9000 and seem to be playing just low diffs.
^this, and also there are a lot of things that can be, for example, your mouse, buuy a tablet because it makes the game easier a lot (at least to me, because my mouse sucks)
Jordan

Kodoshi wrote:

+1 .-.
Royboyvdm

eldnl wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

How do you even expect to be decent? Quit playing stupid low difficulties go play the real deal, you won't be good at all if all you do is play normal/hards. With 1000 plays you should be able to play Insanes and you skill have over 9000 and seem to be playing just low diffs.
^this, and also there are a lot of things that can be, for example, your mouse, buuy a tablet because it makes the game easier a lot (at least to me, because my mouse sucks)
fucking tablet surface hurts hand which makes me shake :lol:
Cho_old

eldnl wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Don't actually bother improving, just keep playing with a mouse and tell everyone you know who uses a tablet that you're better than them beceause your device is harder to use.

In all seriousness, for someone who supposedly cares about how good they do you play alot of easy difficulties, if you actually want to do [Insane] +DT playing [Normal] all the time is one of the worst ways I can think of to practice for it.
A8mew
>Select Insane Difficulty
>Press "Replay" until fingers stop moving or you clear the map

Not a very efficient way to improve but its at least not made me personally any worse.
Waryas
I'm one of those people with no talent, just play for fun and that's it
it's just a game
Sonez_old
Your mouse sensitivity is a little low for 1920x1080 imo. I would try around 1.5 at least.

Try using both fingers at all times, Single tapping is only better when you're doing a slow stream.

Play more insane maps, find a good list of songs you like to play and practice them ALOT.

Find a good skin, One with 300's off helps a lot. I recommend LEET skin.
Espionage724

shanaftw wrote:

Find a good skin, One with 300's off helps a lot. I recommend LEET skin.
I hear this a lot, but I have yet to try it. I think I'll finally try this :p
Soly
Liut

Waryas wrote:

I'm one of those people with no talent, just play for fun and that's it
it's just a game
+1
kriers

Soly wrote:

It looks hard now but in a year you'll look back and laugh at how easy it is. Your brain will over-time eventually change the way your eyes perceive approach circles and hit circles, making them appear much much slower. At least for me anyway, the more I train the slower everything gets.
Yes it gets much slower after a while, which is why at some point I got really bad at reading lower approach rates. Even ar8 felt too clustered. :o

Now however, everything feels so much faster, but at the same time comfortable enough to read. It's a strange sensation.
lolcubes
There are 2 choices. You can say be saying you're bad, or you can be doing something about it. The rest is just time. ;)
Drafura
I think this guy isn't reading any of the answers... I mean, he never posted back.........
Big Yikes

Drafura wrote:

I think this guy isn't reading any of the answers... I mean, he never posted back.........
He might be a forum newbie, when I was one (kinda still am) I often forgot about my posts.
Wishy
Still making a post asking for tips about how to get better, and forgetting to check out the answers you got, lol you're not a forum newbie you're stupid. xd

Or you don't really care about what you asked.