forum

[Rule Change] Consecutive dashes/HDashes of different snap in Salads/Rains

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZiRoX
I was checking Kiritorisen (https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/831857/) and noticed a spot that would benefit from allowing consecutive dashes of different snap in Salads (the beginning of the Kiai at 00:58:230 (1,2,1) -), given that they're both relatively large gaps (1/1 and 3/2).

Of course, it's not something that should be done on a regular basis and should just apply to specific cases like this, so I thought of turning the rule into a guideline. Basically, changing (and moving to guidelines):

Dashes of different beat snap (1/2, 1/4, etc.) must not be used between consecutive fruits.

into:

Dashes of different beat snap (1/2, 1/4, etc.) should not be used between consecutive fruits.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this, so please discuss!
Ascendance
I agree, removing this limitation on things that would clearly benefit from the change would be really nice. A move to guidelines is good in my eyes
Absolute Zero
I'd agree that this would be best as a guideline instead. However, I'd like to note that there's an analogous rule in the rain that could be modified for consistency:

Hyperdashes of different beat snap (1/2, 1/4, etc.) must not be used between consecutive fruits.

It might also be worth reconsidering this as well--unsure what other people think.
wonjae
hey thats my salad. +1 super annoying in certain songs, however i think up to a specific bpm (lets say 180 1/1 into 1/2s or something) they shouldnt be allowed period.

also agree that the points on AZ should be discussed atleast as well
Secre
ya agreed

+1 on wonjae and AZs points aswell
fayew
i agree

juice
Zyzyx
i don't know what to say since i'm is novice mapper.but i think i agree too with this change.
Sanyi
Makes sense as a guideline, especially when dashes got large gaps like in the example map. I also agree with AZ that it makes sense to make the Rain rule he posted into a guideline as well - no need to completely prohibit these things when there are a few cases where they are beneficial.
CLSW
This one makes sense, agreed
pishifat
i'm only seeing support for the change here, so is this ready to be added to the rc?

if so, what are opinions on the related change proposed in this post? https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/posts/6786855
Topic Starter
ZiRoX
Considering the input in the thread (Absolute Zero's and wonjae's), I've come up with the following proposal:

Salad
(Guideline) Basic dashes of different beat snap should not be used between consecutive fruits.
(Rule) Higher snapped dashes of different beat snap must not be used between consecutive fruits.

Rain
(Guideline) Basic hyperdashes of different beat snap should not be used between consecutive fruits.
(Rule) Higher snapped hyperdashes of different beat snap must not be used between consecutive fruits.
Ascendance
Looks good
Secre
good
Du5t
+1
wonjae
nice
Ascendance
@pishi it's ready
JBHyperion
KrystoolFR
Changes have been reviewved by myself. Waiting for approval by a writing access member.
pishifat
will be pushed to the wiki in a couple hours

archiv ed
show more