forum

Retrying is death

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
So everyone knows the age old advice of "don't retry" and it's been working wonders for my consistency lately. When I play a new song I feel like as long as I'm focused I can be really in the moment with the beatmap and I get almost all my FCs on first or second try of songs.

Here's the problem. Sometimes I want to play a song again (after I play it through a full time first) right away because I want to try and hit a pattern that confused me, or maybe I just messed up this one part and I could FC if I fixed it. On that second, or god forbid third try, I play much worse because I'm anticipating too much. I feel like because I know what's coming, I'm probably going to freeze up on that stream or start playing too quickly. Not even just with the specific part I wanted to fix, but with the song in general.

On the contrary, when I sightread it feels more tense but also more smooth and like I'm relying on my abilities rather than memory.

Any tips for this?
How can I "refresh" my reading for the occasional retry?
Juuuuuuuuul
Same issue for me, i've found that waiting a few days before retrying can help.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

Same issue for me, i've found that waiting a few days before retrying can help.

Man aren't brains so dumb? Wish I could just forget the map and redo.
RaneFire
I can play through a map (to the end) about 5 times before my brain starts getting lazy. Until that number though, my consistency appears to be unaffected.

I think it's ok to retry if you keep the numbers low. I also think it's ok to retry if your intention is to try and tackle that lazy brain problem, too.

Also after watching and reading some osu! related stuff, it's come to my attention we overrate reading and underestimate memory. It seems the high-end players do memorize troublesome patterns. So don't treat it completely as taboo.
Juuuuuuuuul
True,
i watched top players interviews recently and they all said there is no problem retrying and memorising complex stuff.
Just don't abuse it.
NightNarumi
It helps for me by not caring when you miss, even if you want to fc a certain section where you screwed up.
If I miss, then so be it.