forum

[Archived] GPU Usage being reduced over time.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cristian2132
Basically, when I start up osu, it starts with 240/240fps, and about 2-3ms input( lag(or frame time or whatever you call it), which is awesome - at this time the GPU usage is at 100%.
Afterwards, after playing a song, and loading another, the GPU usage goes down to about 94% or 90% and the input latency goes up to 4-5 and the fps down to around 190, after about 10-15 songs, the GPU usage becomes 24% and the fps is at 90....and input lag at around 15ms which can be felt pretty darn well and it's annoying. It's not an overheating problem since the temperatures of the GPU are at about 55-60, far bellow the limit. The CPU temps also stay at around 70-76, the throttle down starts at 90 so it's not a throttling issue - I've checked, the clock speeds remained the same during the gameplay, the only thing that varied was the GPU usage which was going down after loading any new song, was it VRAM? I don't think so, since it's usually at 600MB and my GPU has 1GB....Also I have to mention that i'm running the game on compatibility mode (means directX) since it gives me lower input lag. the GPU is: Amd Radeon HD 7600m, the CPU is Pentium B970, 8GB ram...
I used MSI Afterbuner to check the temps and clock speeds: Neither the CPU nor the GPU changed their clock speeds. It was constant from the moment I start up the game.
modrei_DELETED
check if your power plan is set to full performance, should be under battery options in windows settings, if you are on windows that is
Topic Starter
Cristian2132

modrei wrote:

check if your power plan is set to full performance, should be under battery options in windows settings, if you are on windows that is

It is. Full performance, I even tweaked the settings a little more.
Merami Fox
Honestly i see this a good thing. You can use the other 75%- kn stuff like streaming. 90 fps is pretty good. Espieccially since 80%have a 60HZ MONITOR. Mine is 60hz and its 17ms. But that how long it takes to redraw each frame. Think. You have 75%GPU you can use.
Topic Starter
Cristian2132

bommy985 wrote:

Honestly i see this a good thing. You can use the other 75%- kn stuff like streaming. 90 fps is pretty good. Espieccially since 80%have a 60HZ MONITOR. Mine is 60hz and its 17ms. But that how long it takes to redraw each frame. Think. You have 75%GPU you can use.

Ehh, not really, it's true that the screen can only show 60frames, but the mouse still feels slow when the fps drops bellow 120.
Merami Fox
then its bad. it stutter your cursor doing. set to vsync and it should help
Dntm8kmeeatu

bommy985 wrote:

bommy985 wrote:

then its bad. it stutter your cursor doing. set to vsync and it should help

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
Merami Fox
OK 1. it would stutter either way, if it just doing that at 90 fps is most likely either your GPU or a graphical bug involving it. or its g sync or free-sync problems
2. v sync sets it down to your monitor refresh rate. it will eliminate the problem immediately and give you a smoother, non stuttery experience

now stop questioning me about this please and thank you
Dntm8kmeeatu

bommy985 wrote:

OK 1. it would stutter either way, if it just doing that at 90 fps is most likely either your GPU or a graphical bug involving it. or its g sync or free-sync problems
2. v sync sets it down to your monitor refresh rate. it will eliminate the problem immediately and give you a smoother, non stuttery experience

*cracks knuckles*

I'm not even going to really respond to your first point as I have no clue what it even is;
so let's move on to Vsync.

Yes Vsync does set your monitor to your refresh rate which is all fine and dandy except it's only notorious for causing a feeling of input delay, which is caused by how it handles locking to the refresh rate and how it holds frames after being drawn by your GPU and waiting to refresh it at the right time.

Yes your monitor may only refresh 60 times a second, but that doesn't mean fps over 60 will not matter. It still actually matters a fair amount.

>insert "human eye can only see 60fps"

Personally I find that bollocks but I'll agree anything over 60 isn't super major, and you probably can't much past that. But it isn't about seeing, it's about feeling. Something your brain is better at noticing. Your brain might not be able to see those frames, but it can notice the delay in between moving your mouse and seeing your cursor move on screen, or clicking a keyboard and having the input register in a game. And in a game like osu! where you are hyper focused on notes locations and timing of the music, putting a delay in this feedback is very noticeable.
If you were playing Civ 5 not concentrating so hard or wasn't relying on accurate feedback, you wouldn't notice or care.

>How does more frames matter if your monitor only refreshes 60 times a second?

If you do not lock your FPS, your GPU will try and render as many frames as it can before being stopped by some internal limiter or before it becomes bottlenecked or for some other reason that may exist. With Vsync, it will draw a frame and then wait. Without it, it will continue to draw frames and then when it gets the refresh signal it will display that frame on the monitor. Now that can cause multiple frame data to be shown on screen at once and that is called screen tearing, but that's just something most gamers deal with as it's normally not that intrusive. (and literally anything is better than Vsync, and this is besides the point.)
But the point to what I'm saying above is this;

When using Vsync (if your monitor is 60hz) there is *up to* 17 milliseconds of delay in between each frame displayed.
But if your monitor kept drawing frames and was drawing 240fps, the maximum amount of delay would be 4.2 milliseconds.
So when the screen gets refreshed the maximum possible age of the image being shown on screen is only 4.2 milliseconds, instead of 17 milliseconds.
This may not seem like much to you or your eyes, but your brain can feel the difference and can tell the image being displayed on the uncapped or higher framerate is more "Up to date" than the Vsync one, allowing your brain to make more accurate adjustments as it has a better idea and feedback as to what is actually going on.

tl;dr More FPS is *always* better (as long as your computer can handle it and doesn't cause heavy stuttering and inconsistent frame times. Sooner or later you will hit diminishing returns anyways.) and using Vsync will heavily hinder your performance by giving you a feeling of input delay and is never suggested, especially for Rhythm games.

I'm not sure what your posts are even on about, but I decided to write this up and tell you why Vsync sucks and that more than 60fps does actually matter. So please never suggest using it again; I'd rather people just cap their framerate using the ingame frame limiter. Anything other than Vsync

shmokebud
Got em
Topic Starter
Cristian2132
Well....All of this was a fun debate but none of it answers my question xD
Saying "Deal with it since you have more GPU for other stuff"...dude, no, I want the most FPS possible in MY game while I'm playing - I don't want to reserve it for other stuff because there's no other stuff that should/is using my GPU.
Merami Fox

Cristian2132 wrote:

Well....All of this was a fun debate but none of it answers my question xD
Saying "Deal with it since you have more GPU for other stuff"...dude, no, I want the most FPS possible in MY game while I'm playing - I don't want to reserve it for other stuff because there's no other stuff that should/is using my GPU.

That part ended a long time ago buddy. Also the screen tearing thing. It really depends on what game. For osu it could be good. But for lets say fortnite its a whole nother ball park. Also the screen tearing is becouse you are draw 1/4 of a frame for each frame. As the monitor only supports 60 fps. This could be good for smaller jumps but for lets say 270 bpm 1/8 scale streams it wont be good.
show more