forum

How to catch the hyper-normal jump [WIP]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ekr
Grammatical errors / awkward sentence / contribution (writing sentences, example maps, images) / anything are welcomed.

Introduction
I introduce a term hyper-normal jump (HN jump for short) for an osu!catch pattern. Figure 1 is an example of HN jump.

Figure 1. A hyper-normal jump

The current osu!catch ranking criteria generally discouraging uses of edge-dashs especially when it is mixed with hyper-dashes [1] including HN jumps. Thus, we generally don't see HN jumps on osu!catch specific maps. However, when the HR mod is applied, some pattern becomes a HN jump [?] thus a skill for HN jump is not unimportant for players who prefer osu!catch specific maps.

I introduce HN jump as well as the precise definition of this term and then I discuss a method for catching this pattern.

Preliminary
The catcher moves 1 unit per a millisecond. All time variables below are represented by milliseconds.
Let r be the radius of the catcher plate. This variable is determined by the circle size setting.
The hit detection logic is the expression |x_c - x_f| < r where x_c and x_f is the x positions of the catcher and the fruit respectively.
> Explain hyper-dash mechanism here (hyper fruit generation and hyper dash behavior)

Definition
The hyper-normal jump is a pattern consisting three fruits with (time, position) {(t1,x1), (t2,x2), (t3,x3)} (t1 < t2 < t3) and satisfies following constraints:
1. (x1 < x2 and x2 > x3) or (x1 > x2 and x2 < x3).
2. The first fruit is a hyper fruit and the second fruit is not a hyper fruit.
3. t3 - t2 + r <= |x2 - x3|

The constraint 3 represents that the catcher cannot catch the third fruit if the catcher catches the second fruit on the center of the plate (with x position x2).
> Prettify expressions
> Insert an image

Early-Key-Release method
Early-Key-Release method is a method to catch the HN jumps.
To do this method, catch the first fruit normally but then release the currently pressing arrow key before the catcher catches the second fruit. Until when the catcher catches the second fruit, no arrow keys are pressed. After the catcher catches the second fruit, press an arrow key to go to the third fruit.
> Insert an image

Experiments
> Experiment / compare to the ordinary method (???)

Conslusion
> Conclude

[1] "Ranking Criteria / osu!catch" https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!catch
koemada
wow,,, too much maths for me to handle lmao
Yuno4life
3. t3 - t2 + r <= |x2 - x3|
Would you mind explaining the third constraint to me because what i see that the units dont match. But ofc i might be wrong.
Abstract-
this forum really helped me to learn about hyperdash skill, thanks :D