forum

Help needed for tap/x playstyle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KeyboardAllergy
Hi. I was wondering if any tap/x players can maybe give me a few tips regarding the playstyle. I've played basically every playstyle since I find it fun to learn new styles(even trackpad on a laptop), but I want to get better at tap/x style specifically.

I can fc many 5 star maps and some 6 star maps as well while playing tap/x style with my tablet; however, I have a few questions about improving, or rather, avoiding certain things that make it harder. For example, the biggest problem that I face is for jumps. If they are a certain speed, my fingers start to slip down my pen. Is there any preferred method for holding the pen while playing this style?

The other question that I have is: usually, how high off of the tablet does the pen usually lift off in between jumps? I try to keep it as close to the tablet as possible, but sometimes it feels like it might be easier if I don't focus on keeping the pen close to the tablet.

Streaming with this style isn't really that hard for me, so other than those two questions, it's just a matter of practice, just like learning any other style of play.

Thanks in advance for any tips regarding this style of play!
DXPOHIHIHI
Don't do x style since it looks retarded and makes you look like a fucking weeb who like SAO
Topic Starter
KeyboardAllergy
Hmmm, your profiles interests kind of give away the intention behind your post. Anyway, again, any real tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Also, two more questions. Is there a generally recommended tablet play area size, or is it just a personal preference for the most part? The other question is a little weirder. Is there a recommended place on a table for the tablet? What I mean by this is, for me, about half of my forearm is on the table when using my tablet, while the other half going back to my elbow is just hanging off of the edge of the table. For this playstyle, how much of your arm should be on the table, or in other words, how close would you recommend your tablet be to the edge of the table? I've tried it with just my wrist on the table, as well as my whole forearm, including my elbow, on the table, but neither really seemed to make much of a difference to me, although that is probably just because I did try them for long enough.
SpasticSurgeon
Azer played with that so you can probably ask him. You probably know that though.
Topic Starter
KeyboardAllergy
Yeah... I've watched high level players before, like emilia or dokidokilolixx, but can't tell everything from the live plays since the cam is usually on the other side of the keyboard.
MrGarebear2000
experiment and come up with a style you are comfortable and make it your own. You don't have to copy other players.
RaneFire

Alcoves wrote:

Is there a generally recommended tablet play area size, or is it just a personal preference for the most part?
The same rule of thumb applies to both tablet and mouse: The greater your hand movements have to be, the less margin for error. Speed of movement is mostly to do with muscle memory, and practice will negate any immediate benefits. So a larger area is encouraged, but it is down to preference.

Alcoves wrote:

Is there a recommended place on a table for the tablet? What I mean by this is, for me, about half of my forearm is on the table when using my tablet, while the other half going back to my elbow is just hanging off of the edge of the table. For this playstyle, how much of your arm should be on the table, or in other words, how close would you recommend your tablet be to the edge of the table? I've tried it with just my wrist on the table, as well as my whole forearm, including my elbow, on the table, but neither really seemed to make much of a difference to me, although that is probably just because I did try them for long enough.
Interesting question. Maybe someone else can give a definite answer regarding tablet, but for mouse, it's definitely whole forearm on the table, excluding elbow. I should imagine it's the same? It probably depends on your area/sensitivity. I say this because of the forearm muscle resting on the table, which is quite "mushy" so it lets your arm move quite a bit without lifting it, which is desirable for large movements. If your area is small, then movement is not necessary and probably a bad thing. Most small area tablet players are advocates of "wrist planting", so there is no movement in the forearm. But I have seen larger area players, on twitch/youtube, move their entire wrist for large jumps, pivoting from the upper forearm. If you are only resting half of your forearm, this causes a rotation nearer the wrist and can get you into an uncomfortable position. But there are many exceptions and it seems there is no hard and fast rule as a result, since it depends on your area, which isn't binary. And getting used to a new posture will be a process. I think it is best to just stick to what you know and adjust for problems. From your quote, you didn't notice any difference, so no need to worry, but maybe my thoughts on the topic will help you understand it a bit, if you didn't know this already.

Sorry that I can't answer your original question. I have limited experience playing with tablet and tap/x was really not my thing at the time.
Topic Starter
KeyboardAllergy
Yeah I also have tried out mouse styled tap/x (or is it called click/x when using mouse lol), but it just wasn't very comfortable for me. My shoulder and upper back would start to hurt, I think mainly because of how I sit when playing mouse with a large area. I normally play a rather large area with both mouse and tablet anyway, but I felt the need to play an even larger area when trying this style with the mouse. I like the benefits that tap/x offers, which is why I want to be able to play this way, especially for certain maps where it is really beneficial.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I think for the time being I'll test out some things for a more extended period of time, especially with regards to the placement of my tablet on the table, as I think that this might actually have the biggest effect, even though initially I couldn't tell a difference when I switched it up.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Try using tape or something similar on the pen to avoid it to slip.
I tried M1K1 style, but it's so slow to me. Try to snipe circles at jumps. Use follow points. There are some skins with special follow points what lead into arrive before at circles. They are usefull to play highest AR and snipe in general. Build muscle memory at easy stuff so you don't overaim.
show more