forum

[resolved] Beatmap Spread Clarification

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aiseca
I am reading the ranking criteria section https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria and came across this line (about drain time):

If the drain time of a beatmap is...
...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal. Because osu!mania does not have a difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria yet, an osu!mania beatmapset's Normal difficulty is defined as a difficulty below 2.00 stars. For hybrid beatmapsets that include osu! difficulties, the additional modes’ lowest difficulties cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
...anything higher, the beatmapset is exempt from reasonable spread rules.

>>Currently, I am working on a map that has a drain time of 4:37 minutes, and I would like to ask if the standard N-H-I-E-X format is still effective. or my map can go on H-I-E-X format?

A helpful response is appreciated.

~~Secretary of Chaos, Aiseca Senchineru.
Izzywing
With a drain of 4:37 your set could go I-E-X if you wanted, since Insane would be the lowest required difficulty.

If the map is 3:30 - it can have Hard as the lowest diff
If the map is 4:15 - it can have Insane as the lowest diff

Your map qualifies under the 4:15 threshold.
Topic Starter
Aiseca

Hobbes2 wrote:

With a drain of 4:37 your set could go I-E-X if you wanted, since Insane would be the lowest required difficulty.

If the map is 3:30 - it can have Hard as the lowest diff
If the map is 4:15 - it can have Insane as the lowest diff

Your map qualifies under the 4:15 threshold.

---
That really helped me.... Very thankful to hear that because, if I need to follow the standard N-H-I-E-X on a 190 bpm song is very difficult (based on my case) due to the speed factor and I think the song would not be represented correctly if it is required to be mapped on difficulties lower than Hard.

Ever since I started mapping the "Expert", I have been scratching my head on what would be the structure of the map on lower difficulties and at the same time not sacrificing the song's interpretation.

Before I even asked this, I know that mapping 190 bpm with a 4:00+ drain time on either Easy or Normal (following drum beats) was somewhat mixed bad (bad in a sense that might end up players to get frustrated because of misrepresentation to compensate the difficulty requirements) and, too long for beginners to endure playing.

Again, I would like to take note of your response on this topic as a reference to my future map projects and alike. This clears out a few of the clouds on my mapping dilemmas. Thanks.

-------------
Secretary of Chaos, Aiseca Senchineru.
show more