forum

Nien - NB RANGERS: Returns

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 12:14:11 AM

Artist: Nien
Title: NB RANGERS: Returns
Source: DJ Max Portable 2
BPM: 145
Filesize: 8415kb
Play Time: 02:10
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy Style (1.54 stars, 124 notes)
  2. Hard Style (4.48 stars, 232 notes)
  3. Normal Style (2.81 stars, 169 notes)
Download: Nien - NB RANGERS: Returns
Download: Nien - NB RANGERS: Returns (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
From DJ Max Portable 2.

This map is done in a style that is... untraditional to Osu. It is attempting to emulate DJ Max Technika, an arcade game in Japan (and the US, soon). Rather than spacing being determined by timing, horizontal position is determined by timing. Vertical position is determined by pitch (although I may bend this in order to make the distances between some notes fair). There is also no approach circle; rather, you must hit the note when a rhythm bar passes it.

For an example of how Technika is played, check youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSglOVa9Yq8

hopefully last edit: added blank comboburst.png

even newest edit: fixed cyclone's beefs, added bg image, added lead in

newest edit: Fixed some things, had it revived. There's a new version of Osu available that fixes the timing bar bug, so this can be ranked now.

I also intend to add repeats, where you tap in the same place a number of times, such as at 0:49 in the video above.

edit: tutorial added. sort of.
I still have a bit to do; I need to add rhythm bars and space according to pitch for the second half of the song still, and I need to skin the hit bursts, the health bar, and the slider ball. I also realized after watching that video the the rhythm bar should have a blue trail, not a black one, so I'll fix that, too. Also, easier difficulties (these will be easy once the first is done, since the storyboarding is what's taking the longest).

I'd love to know what people think of this. It'll probably be hard to read at first, so I wish I had an easier difficulty ready to show you, but I don't. Have fun.

edit: rhythm bars are done to the end of the song. Still much to do!

edit: got some help from Cyclone with pitch near the end of the song. Also, added a blank hit circle so that it wouldn't be visible as the hit circle fades out.

edit: easy/normal style uploaded. It's usually bad practice to just delete notes to make easy and normal, but since spacing is determined pitch and timing alone, there's no way to be creative about it (other than mapping different instruments, but I didn't find any I wanted to switch up). Timing bar is blue now. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do repeat-touch sections because I can't storyboard over the notes (as well as other reasons). This is essentially the finished product, except I still need to skin the hit bursts (Max, Cool, Good, Break instead of 300, 100, 50, Miss), new slider ball, and a combo burst (hell if I know, a ranger or something).

edit: added hit bursts. I think I'm done with it. I could do a slider, but I really can't think of anything, so forget it. Moved to pending.

edit: pitch edits, redid normal and easy after the pitch edits (easier than correcting pitch 3 times). They're probably about the same. Changed combos to be every row (you gain health after one timing bar pass, instead of every note (impossible to die pretty much... whoops). Removed the break because of a bug that causes the timing bars to vanish after the break until such time that the bug is fixed or a workaround is made. Otherwise, ready for modding.

edit: uploaded two hards for some reason... fix go!

edit: readded the break; bug is fixed in test build. Also, fixed multiple ffdshow dealy-o. no I didn't. shut up yes I did.
lukewarmholiday
how dare people ignore this thread completely
ignorethis
wow wow this map is f**king amazing!

Although I got a D with 60% acc

Don't see obvious timing mistakes though ^^
Zatoichi
I see nothing wrong with this map.
Ekaru
Only two things I can think of:

1. Add a break on Hard during that long period with no notes, otherwise you lose a lot of health and can fail, even if you already have a lot of health. Sure, breaks may not exist in the game this is based off of, but... XP

2. SB a quick 'tutorial', about 5 - 10 seconds long, using the intro stuff so you can skip it. The reason? Since this map is so unique, some people may not know when to click. Just a few seconds saying, "you click when the line crosses the center of the hit circle," showing it done a few times would be sufficient. That way, everyone will be able to enjoy it right away.

Oh yeah, there's a 3:

3. Why haven't any BATs looked at this yet? This is one of the most unique maps on osu!, and awesome to boot. ;P An awesome use of storyboarding to make something really creative. Good job. Hopefully this will get ranked before I die so I can give it a 10.

EDIT: Though, if you add a break, you could add some transparent skinning elements so that the only real way to notice the break(s) would be to look in the top right hand corner for your rank. ;P
Cyclone
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver
Ekaru, there's no break because in the newest version of Osu, it causes the timing bars after the break to not display. I don't know why, but it's happened on my computer and Cyclone's. I had a break in the exact spot your thinking of.

A tutorial... I suppose I could do that, yea. Gotta wait for a fix for the break, anyway. Should I make it a separate difficulty, or put it at the beginning of the easiest difficulty?
CheeseWarlock
I'm going to have to try updating my codecs, because that video makes CCCP run a codec nine times for some reason.

I love this style. Really thinking outside the box. Though there are a few things:
-Make a blank followpoint?
-Rename tick to sliderscorepoint?

Some sliders end at odd times:
[Easy Style]
00:13:53 (1) - 1/4 shorter.
00:26:77 (4) - 1/2 longer.
00:59:04 (3) - 1/2 shorter.
01:05:66 (1) - 1/2 longer.
01:18:90 (1) - 1/2 longer.

[Normal Style] AND [Hard Style]
00:13:53 (1) - Should end on a red tick.
00:15:18 (2) - Should start and end on a red tick.

[Hard Style]
Slider tick rate is too high. Looks fine visually, but I don't like the sound of it. Custom sounds?

There are some other beats that I don't quite agree with, but I'm sort of "meh" on them at the moment.
Ekaru

dumpsterdiver wrote:

Ekaru, there's no break because in the newest version of Osu, it causes the timing bars after the break to not display. I don't know why, but it's happened on my computer and Cyclone's. I had a break in the exact spot your thinking of.

A tutorial... I suppose I could do that, yea. Gotta wait for a fix for the break, anyway. Should I make it a separate difficulty, or put it at the beginning of the easiest difficulty?
Oh. *tries it himself* Hmm? I added the break, and... still had the timing bars after the break. Weird. Even in play mode. That's weird... Don't know what's going on there.

As for the tutorial, I was thinking more of a thing you copy + pasted at the beginning of each difficulty, that just showed how it worked (no actual clicking, probably going to the part before the map starts. People just need to see a couple seconds of it and a short explanation to get what's going on. The reason to not just put it in one difficulty or as a seperate difficulty is simple; someone, somewhere, will jump straight into the hardest difficulty. Seeing a few seconds of it will make almost anyone understand, since it's simple once you know what's going on.

Even if people skip the first time, they'll fail, retry, and then notice it. Others will notice it right away. Then they'll play it. Then there's a good chance they'll love it, since they know how to play it. Most people wouldn't think to check the Easy difficulty, nor would some of them see the 'Tutorial' difficulty (not everyone reads English well, but everyone can see things).

tl;dr: Make it a brief, watchable thing at the beginning of each difficulty, because once they see it, they'll be fine when they play it.
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver
Okay, the bug that wiped the bars is gone, at least on the test build, so gotta wait for a public build to actually rank this. I went ahead and re-added the breaks.

Also, the multiple ffdshows was my fault. I had the storyboard element for playing the video in the .osb, and osu didn't care for that. Every time I opened it in the editor it pasted the "play movie" storyboard script into the .osu, so it was indeed playing 9 or 10 instances of the same movie on top of one another (or at least trying, it might not have actually been rendering it). Anyway, that's all better now.

As for the tutorial, I'm gonna be straight. I'm too lazy to do it. Really. I tried, and it was boring to make, so I quit. And, I have a bunch of school work. And, SF4 comes out soon. So really, I probably won't do it. But I have a just as almost as good idea...

edit: OOOKAY. Tutorial done. I added a fail-background.png that should be satisfactory, without adding an intrusive, ugly tutorial to the beginning of each difficulty. If people can't figure it out now, I don't care.
Cyclone
Revived and starred.
vytalibus
[Hard Style]
01:28:21 (4) - Not snapped to bar.

Well, that's the only thing I noticed. Might only be good for approval, though.

*stars*
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver

vytalibus wrote:

[Hard Style]
01:28:21 (4) - Not snapped to bar.

Well, that's the only thing I noticed. Might only be good for approval, though.

*stars*
Wow... good eye. I was expecting it to be off by an half beat or so, but it was just gridsnapped. Thanks.
Cyclone
BG image is mandatory.
2 FFDshows

Hard Style:

00:26:77 (13) - Slanted.
00:35:04 (2) - Slanted.
01:08:77 (4,1) - Still a mean jump. :(

Normal Style:

00:13:53 (1,2) - Slanted(both of em)
00:23:46 (1) - Slanted.
01:08:56 (2,3,1) - Mean jump, especially for normal.
01:17:25 (3,1) - Jump here could be a bit mean for normal.

Easy Style:
00:23:46 (1) - Slanted.
00:59:04 (3) - Slanted.
01:05:66 (1) - Slanted.
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver

Cyclone wrote:

2 FFDshows
I didn't get 2 ffdshows on any difficulty.
Jinxy
HOW THE HELL DID YOU MAKE THIS MAP!?!?!?

STARRED.
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver
Fuck the graveyard.
heintsi
I'm proud owner of djmax tr and heard about this techinka mode.. been wanting to play one long time :) this took me little closer to actual technika cabinet. thanks and star
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver

heintsi wrote:

I'm proud owner of djmax tr and heard about this techinka mode.. been wanting to play one long time :) this took me little closer to actual technika cabinet. thanks and star
You're welcome, I suppose. I haven't had time to do anything Osu, lately, but I'll get this ranked this summer.
Lucidity
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
DeathxShinigami
Really incredible work here with the creativeness. Really brings back memories. =P
Gens
Holy crap this is awesome

The only thing I could notice is that Beat volume is too high... I've never played DJMax portable so I don't know if this is done purposely for Authenticity or something.

Starred
anonymous_old
foulcoon
The style of this map is very creative, and I see it fit now as an approved map.
I think the jumps have been moved to a suitable distances. And everything checks out. Only suggestion I have is perhaps to get rid of the comboburst or change it something smaller and map related, because pippi's fat head can stick out and block some notes sometimes so its hard to tell when the line meets up with the center of the circle

APPROVAL BUBBLE #1
Wizard Of Orz
i guess you cant really mod this...
Metroid
I just notice the bar in the SB is slightly early to the Slider balls in Easy style while it's in the middle perfectly in the other 2 difficulties...

Good luck.
Zerostarry
..Amazing.

APPROVAL BUBBLE #2
Topic Starter
dumpsterdiver
Yuukari-Banteki
[Easy]
sb is fucking AWESOME *-*

[Normal]

[Hard]

bubbled cus i cant approve, apparently
foulcoon
This is awesome and it has one too many bubbles already. Light this shit up!
Sleep Powder
We should have more beatmaps like this~
Xgor

animask wrote:

doel89
me wants more!!! make oblivion make divine service!!! so i can pratice at home and not waste 2 dollar a game praticing >_<
Kujo

Xgor wrote:

animask wrote:

Aoko

animask wrote:

Bump for awesome quote.