forum

What caused you to become an Otaku?

posted
Total Posts
show more
S V A L
friend told me about naruto some years ago and i instantly loved it
Tiisa
I think everything started from watching Digimon, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Sailor Moon in preschool. When I knew how to read my older brother gave me the first volume of Dragon Ball because he didn't like ''Japanese shit'' (my dads friend gave it to him) I fell in love with it so I started to search for all the other volumes in stores nearby but instead of Dragon Ball I found Tokyo Mew Mew. I found out that there was a anime of it and started watching it and when I was done with TMM I found Sugar Sugar Rune, Shugo Chara! and started to listen to An café, Miyavi and Minimoni.

Then in 4th grade I got friends with similar interests online and it was my little secret pleasure until 5th grade when my IRL friends got to know they forced me to stop liking ''embarrassing stuff'' and be normal. In 7th grade I started to watch anime again, read some BL manga,vnowadays I like yuri more than yaoi though. I also found Perfume, Mucc, 12012 and other Japanese bands I started listening to.

And that's pretty much it.
Wok
My sister showed me Ganz (really sweet gore anime), Naruto and Azumanga Daioh. After that I just started watching other animes on my own I guess.
Also for the sake of being hipster. Not many people watched anime in my surroundings at that time, I was still in elementary school.
After that I pretty much started reading doujinshis, watching hentai and playing eroges. This made me an otaku imo.

Jeroen Mathon wrote:

I hope you liked it :D
I enjoyed reading it a lot. x3
ZefxMeep
My friend suggested me Fairy Tail and I started to search other anime by my own.
sevensens
I always liked animes that were shown on tv like one piece, dragonball, and countless more

but my first anime i watched in japanese with subs was elfen lied and i loved it so much that i bought all the mangas too :D

Think that was when it all began ^^
MoeNutcracker
Friends suggestion
Kyonko Hizara
I used to watch DBZ, Inuyasha, and Eureka Seven late at night on TV when I was like 4-5. I also ended up watching Sailor Moon since mother got me a video tape of it before, and then since I liked it so much she bought me more of them. I never really went through the weeaboo phase tho, even when I was younger.
Senritsu
watching Fairy Tail at TV and then decided to search at twitter..
and that's how it rolls goes :)
Pizzicato
just graduated from being one
Rio-
Well, I don't know If I am An Otaku or not for now... But the only thing I do first is watching Anime ( My First Anime was Naruto BTW ), then I 'm curious about Manga, so I read it too, Sometimes I am Playing Eroge too, Especially the Dating-Sims... :3
Happymappy
It all started on Death Note with my sadistic personality.
Ending up on going to a Anime Shop to buy the notebook.
And seeing everything...
Henceforth, Otaku :D
-Loki-
Sis and Bro
Mira-san
Call of Duty. (and boredom)

Call of Duty (Klooger28's speedruns) > osu! > Anime.
MiharuUwU
saw fma long long ago on tv and was like yes i need more
then i discovered the internet
later discovered .//hack
jaye19
I started watching anime dubs at the local channels here in my country ever since I was a kid. I discovered that they air stuff that already finished or that they are delayed by tons of eps (I actually thought that they immediately dub it or something lol). Then I discovered the internet aaaaaand it started.
DJlame
my friends were continuously telling me to watch it and then I watched it.
When I came into mind after that I was an Otaku
yoyomster
For me it wasn't anime per se but the distinctiveness of Japanese music (mostly J-pop) that got me interested in Japanese culture. The very first Japanese song I heard was something I downloaded using P2P software (KaaZaa Lite) because the Japanese in the title made me curious. Been liking Japanese music ever since. At the time I liked Pokémon too, but so did half of my school because it was all the rage then, so that doesn't really count.
Yukari Tsuki
Childhood obsession with OP/ED of anime.
Francis
MOEEEE!
MrPop
LOLIIII
Nya-nyan_old
WAIFUUU!!!
[ Crazy Guy ]
Just I like animes!

Sorry for my English :P
vizzy
I saw a Naruto music video that had the song 'Fields of Hope' by Tanka Rie. I was immersed into it a few months after that.
-Seren-
boredom and my eyes like watching something with super powers and effects and also anime is addictive
Yasen Baka
My friends whom I hang out with. They like to discuss and talk about anime/manga and Japanese games, so it was natural for me to be influenced by that. Peer Pressure for goodness sake?
MMzz
osu!
Shunfoi

dNextGen wrote:

Internet
walao

Shunfoi wrote:

dNextGen wrote:

Internet
This.
AmberLynx
one day i stopped going outside. the end.
Hide25
My friend when I was 12, he took me to anime world :3
PandasAndVodka
(all your stories are so interesting,compaired to mine o3o)

Inkshewolf introduced me into hetalia,then that branched off to Black Butler,then touhou,then mirai nikki,then lucky star,then puella magi madoka magica,then the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

now I never go outside because I have yet to finish Shugo chara! and to start Deadman's Wonderland and OHSHC to watch the many missed episodes of tokyo mew mew.

--living with a anime addiction is suffering--
Danang_25
that's strated from watched anime then like japanese song (Supercell, nano.RIPE, nano, One Ok Rock, vocaloid), 3 month later playing Visual Novel (Clannad, Shuffle, etc) :D
Nub1
It started from TV
Momochikun

Shunfoi wrote:

dNextGen wrote:

Internet
^
EZ2ACTux
Internet. Oh how wonderful is the internet.
-Ryosuke
Anime
Nub1

Tuxdude143 wrote:

Internet. Oh how wonderful is the internet.
Because Internet Is Everything :)
Ideolo
When I was a kid, I had a babysitter who introduced me to anime.
We read manga together too.
mistysky
Uhhhhhh
My uncle read manga I think when he was younger and whenever I went over to their house when I was little there'd always be some manga sitting in the corner for his sons (which is why my first manga is I think Dragon Ball)...
Then when I was like in 5th grade I was reintroduced to manga, cause someone gave me mangafox.com, Then the otakuness began...
OzzyOzrock
I think I was just somehow convinced into watching Lucky Star and it started there. I don't really understand how it all worked out.
show more