forum

What caused you to become an Otaku?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Katze
My best friend told me to start watching Naruto 4 years ago. Then I got into all that stuff.
GoreObsessed
my sister watched anime when i was 8 (ranma 1/2 , sailor moon, reemi, etc)
and then here i am
BadLuckExpert
Well at first it would be the usual cartoon which is like Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan, Cyborg Kurochan, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc.

But what piqued me the most was when animax started appearing on my TV. There i started watching anime everyday and it pretty much goes from that time..
skywind08
From my brother, he's interested in Japanese culture and end up in Animes.
And finally influenced Me... :P
deadbeat
tv>cartoon network>adult swim>inuyasha>learnt it was anime>watched more anime>otaku
or something like that xD
DaddyCoolVipper
It always amazes me that people don't realise otaku is a derogatory term
OzzyOzrock

DADDYCOOLVIPPER wrote:

That's like saying geek is a derogatory term (because it's the same!). It depends on how you use it.

I could call you a British person and claim it's derogatory.
DaddyCoolVipper

OzzyOzrock wrote:

DADDYCOOLVIPPER wrote:

That's like saying geek is a derogatory term (because it's the same!). It depends on how you use it.

I could call you a British person and claim it's derogatory.
No, it's really not the same, ask someone in #japanese
OzzyOzrock
People call themselves derogatory terms in Japan?
DaddyCoolVipper

OzzyOzrock wrote:

People call themselves derogatory terms in Japan?
People don't tend to call themselves "otaku" in Japan... and if they do, yes, they understand the negative connotations of the word (or are deluded)
OzzyOzrock
Then what do they call themselves? Which term do they use?
DaddyCoolVipper

OzzyOzrock wrote:

They don't call themselves anything (aside from a handle, at least on most websites). I don't want to act like an expert or anything, but what do you call yourself? I've never said "I'm a ___" before, unless it's about a profession
OzzyOzrock

DADDYCOOLVIPPER wrote:

OzzyOzrock wrote:

They don't call themselves anything (aside from a handle, at least on most websites). I don't want to act like an expert or anything, but what do you call yourself? I've never said "I'm a ___" before, unless it's about a profession
What about calling yourself a fan of something? Does that work?
DaddyCoolVipper
Yeah, "anime fan" etc is fine, you still wouldn't want to publicly admit to it though (much the same as every other country) due to the association with otaku
OzzyOzrock
Gee, I've learned so much today.

I think I'll also base my own actions and activities on this custom of closet otaku myself!
Tsukimi Luna
Its true.... its not the same
Otaku isnt something that you would call yourself... really
Its more then derogatory...
Usausatei

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Though apparently it is interpreted differently outside Japan and became a term that classifies someone who's a part of anime fandom.
DaddyCoolVipper

Usausatei wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Though apparently it is interpreted differently outside Japan and became a term that classifies someone who's a part of anime fandom.
That's just idiots using a word they don't know the meaning of, though.

(see the entire thread for examples)
Lance
This thread makes me cringe
Joh-chi
Started watching anime when i was a kid, mostly Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, then i watched Naruto and Bleach, you know, the regular stuff.
I stopped watching, then one day, i saw a swedish manga magazine in a library, took some home, read them, and here we are. xD
I got back into anime shortly after that. ;) Although I'm not sure if i should call myself an otaku. :/
H_Hitachiin
Let's see, DSi Flipnotes,Ms.Pumpkin,Kuroshitsuji Flipnote,Kuroshitsuji,Durarara,Ouran HSHC,Vocaloid,Touhou,Stepmania,Osu XD
Elit3noob
Osu! (especially with the popularity of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Kinwarrior
A friend of mine which i was chatting with told me "here watch this". It was a yout... video containing first episode of Elfen Lied... Yep that was my first impression of anime... hell yeah i was fascinated and started watching more ^^ it's maybe the reason why i'm so addicted to blood, misfortune, brutality and that stuff in animes x)

Post #1 huehuehue
SigLogicalMaxiss
When i was 7 or 8,I started to stay up late just to watch Inuyasha because the new series always come out late at night,Ever since then i started to branch off to different anime and thus i became an otaku
Soly
thelewa

Soly wrote:

I found out that reality is always a let down time after time again. You can't shoot laser beams from your eyes in real life. When you get really angry and emotional it doesn't raise your power level. There are a bunch of faggots running the world. Everything takes too long. People don't care about anything. Everything's boring. Hate existence/didn't want to be created. Stuck with a mind that over analyzes every second I exist and won't shut the fuck up. 3D disgusting meat body that dies and gets tired too easily do not want etc
True enough.
Blodia Vulcan

Soly wrote:

I found out that reality is always a let down time after time again. You can't shoot laser beams from your eyes in real life. When you get really angry and emotional it doesn't raise your power level. There are a bunch of faggots running the world. Everything takes too long. People don't care about anything. Everything's boring. Hate existence/didn't want to be created. Stuck with a mind that over analyzes every second I exist and won't shut the fuck up. 3D disgusting meat body that dies and gets tired too easily do not want etc
Indeed.
Professor Prinny
When I was 3 and was still living in the Philippines, the first anime I ever watched was Voltes V and that got me into the otaku culture in the first place. Along with Pokémon of course.
H_Hitachiin
Then again, adding to first post:
I grew up in Japan so I mostly only had anime to watch XD
KanameChanNya
Hmm..I remember wandering around the bookstore one day when I was about nine years old, picking up what I thought was a book (actually I picked it up because I thought the girl on the front was pretty..XD) and begging my parents to buy me it. They took the book from my hands, flip through every page and read every word bubble (like they do whenever I want to buy some manga) and they said "Okay..?". Later I figured out it was called manga, so that's how I got into anime and manga. XD
Volken Bennet
H e n t a i
Ruidoso
Y a o i
nakuta120
:) I became an otaku. perfect was that the drawings are done and watching naruto, ranma 1/2, love rina, etc ... I love drawing manga.
nakuta120

Ruidoso wrote:

Y a o i
yes
H_Hitachiin

Ruidoso wrote:

Y a o i
O.O Oh Boy.
Volken Bennet
Y u r i
Souleater1366
I started watching toonami on cartoon network had good shows like One Pice, Naruto, Prince of Tennis etc, at first I wasn't in to it, Watched more on adult swim like FLCL, Bleach, Eureka 7, Full Metal Alchamest, Ghost In The Shell, etc, then when I was in tenth grade I watched Bleach online and really liked it. I started geting interested in anime.
Natsulus
Some how started watching a little bit of Fairy Tail, then stopped for a bit and came back to watching it till the latest episode, like 23 then I went on to read the manga on a manga reading site I think it was manga reader and found other manga's there, and kept on reading and started watching some anime later on.
H_Hitachiin

Volken Bennet wrote:

Y u r i
Oh Girl this time. O.O
Drexel13
a friend of mine introduced me to vocaloid and baka to test... then, BOOM! I became an otaku..
thx for reading
show more