forum

what's with the hate towards ctb?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
koemada
Everytime I talk about ctb there's bound to be someone who would say that ctb sucks, so on and so forth. What's with the extreme hate towards ctb? and how it's a lot of people's least favourite gamemode?
Dilectus
Most people would argue that CTB doesn't fit the game as it does not incorporate rhythm into its gameplay.
Topic Starter
koemada

Dilectus wrote:

Most people would argue that CTB doesn't fit the game as it does not incorporate rhythm into its gameplay.

oh,,, but the people i’ve talked to didn’t really talk about that
Kingkevin30

koemada wrote:

Dilectus wrote:

I'd say its mainly just people meme-ing around.
The only other valid argument is just how easy it is to learn up to a specific difficulty that in other Modes would be crushingly difficult
Topic Starter
koemada

Kingkevin30 wrote:

koemada wrote:

Dilectus wrote:

I'd say its mainly just people meme-ing around.
The only other valid argument is just how easy it is to learn up to a specific difficulty that in other Modes would be crushingly difficult

Ohh,,, understandable i guess
Zephirine
~
45Traeath
The "Easy" argument mentioned earlier is one for the competitive point of view, I think.

I'm out of that league, and (almost fully of) the game itself so...
I don't hate each mode for how it's played, but rather admit that I just can't work better on a "punctual timing" (Std./Tk./Mn., especially Tk.) than a "latent" one (CtB).
That's how I call the types, drawing the line between "pressing key to hit" and "pressing key to move and catch". And maybe there's some hate because some people can't work with "latent timing".

I'd rather acknowledge my limits now, play with ScoreV2 and stop playing ranked, because there's a kind of players I discovered through "Osu!" that I hate heavily.
For example...
aafi is the most notable example.
Topic Starter
koemada

J-1 wrote:

As Kingkevin30 put it, one valid argument would be that CtB is relatively easier to pick up to a certain difficulty. Combine that with the CtB pp system and you've got the reason a number of people from other modes dislike CtB.

For example, in other modes, it takes people forever to finally get their first 6* FC. However, in CtB (thanks to maps such as Xeno or Vajuranda) people can achieve 6* FCs within their first 3-4 months of playing (Heck, I've seen people do it in 2 months). In other modes, you would still be playing 3-4* (relative to how quickly you improve, but that's a decent estimate for standard at least).

That's a more detailed illustration I guess.

thank u for giving a more detailed explanation!!

45Traeath wrote:

The "Easy" argument mentioned earlier is one for the competitive point of view, I think.

I'm out of that league, and (almost fully of) the game itself so...
I don't hate each mode for how it's played, but rather admit that I just can't work better on a "punctual timing" (Std./Tk./Mn., especially Tk.) than a "latent" one (CtB).
That's how I call the types, drawing the line between "pressing key to hit" and "pressing key to move and catch". And maybe there's some hate because some people can't work with "latent timing".

I'd rather acknowledge my limits now, play with ScoreV2 and stop playing ranked, because there's a kind of players I discovered through "Osu!" that I hate heavily.
For example...
aafi is the most notable example.

and oh,, same abt the timing part lol
He Ang CTB
Yaaayyyy more catch players for Singapore! \:D/

CTB is pretty fun! Most haters don't become successful/skillful in CTB because they don't practise enough, so if you don't want to be a failure in CTB you can't be listening to haters :O

People have lots of reasons to dislike something, personally I find Maina timings peculiar, but that's not an indication that Mania has something intrinsically wrong. CTB is rather easy to pick-up, but when you plateau you can stall out for years before making any breakthrough, due to the mechanics of the game. The rhythm issues is completely manmade because the rhythm is dependent on the maps you're playing, there's nothing in the core mechanics of CTB that is geared against rhythm. Any top player will tell you that having rhythm on high-end maps is extremely crucial in hitting hard-to-read sections.

Regardless, your joy is the only important thing, it's not as if if someone else likes/dislikes something they can teleport their happiness/suffering into your head :O So enjoy game!
Nit0ri

J-1 wrote:

As Kingkevin30 put it, one valid argument would be that CtB is relatively easier to pick up to a certain difficulty. Combine that with the CtB pp system and you've got the reason a number of people from other modes dislike CtB.

For example, in other modes, it takes people forever to finally get their first 6* FC. However, in CtB (thanks to maps such as Xeno or Vajuranda) people can achieve 6* FCs within their first 3-4 months of playing (Heck, I've seen people do it in 2 months). In other modes, you would still be playing 3-4* (relative to how quickly you improve, but that's a decent estimate for standard at least).

That's a more detailed illustration I guess.
I think ctb is easier pick up but probably not at the point you can fc 6* after 2 month of playing, I started ctb 2 month ago and my best play is 192pp (far from 6* fc lol).
I think its just because it doesn't look as fun as the others game modes, thats what I thought before I start playing.
Anemic Witch
I like to play CtB with Relax mod on.

Other than that it doesn't feel like a "rhytm game" because you don't press buttons to the rhytm.
mulraf

Anemic Witch wrote:

I like to play CtB with Relax mod on.

Other than that it doesn't feel like a "rhytm game" because you don't press buttons to the rhytm.
i used to think like that too. if i'm 100% honest every mode but standard i only started and kept playing for a bit because i wanted the achievements. i didn't like ctb because i felt like it didn't go well with the beat. but there was a breakpoint when i stumbled upon some maps including fjarlaegur (platter) and wait for sleep (rain). i finally felt some rhythm in there. after playing a little more i found:
1.) i hate converts. they really have no rhythmic elements whatsoever and i will try to never play converts again unless mayb if i join a tournament. i know they are good for improvement later on but i just don't enjoy playing the game if i play converts.
2.) the rhythm only starts to kick in at late platter / rain diffs imho because dashes can be used more freely starting at that point.
3.) the adrenaline rush i get from having an fc near the end of a long map is incredibly much larger than from standard and sometimes i am worried about my heart but on the other hand it's just incredibly fun. i think the reason behind this is that in ctb i'm not as much in 'control' as in standard. i think in ctb regardless of your level it's easy to mess up. especially at edge dashes. and when you have to luck to overcome a hard part it's just incredibly thrilling for me.
by now i love ctb and standard equally. taiko and mania are ok i guess, i play them from time to time too but all in all idk i guess
Topic Starter
koemada

He Ang CTB wrote:

Yaaayyyy more catch players for Singapore! \:D/

yayyy HAHA

CTB is pretty fun! Most haters don't become successful/skillful in CTB because they don't practise enough, so if you don't want to be a failure in CTB you can't be listening to haters :O

People have lots of reasons to dislike something, personally I find Maina timings peculiar, but that's not an indication that Mania has something intrinsically wrong. CTB is rather easy to pick-up, but when you plateau you can stall out for years before making any breakthrough, due to the mechanics of the game. The rhythm issues is completely manmade because the rhythm is dependent on the maps you're playing, there's nothing in the core mechanics of CTB that is geared against rhythm. Any top player will tell you that having rhythm on high-end maps is extremely crucial in hitting hard-to-read sections.

Regardless, your joy is the only important thing, it's not as if if someone else likes/dislikes something they can teleport their happiness/suffering into your head :O So enjoy game!

thank u for ur input!!
Drafura
There's no rythm in ctb. Now let's talk about standard's sliders hue
Topic Starter
koemada

Drafura wrote:

There's no rythm in ctb. Now let's talk about standard's sliders hue

the s a l t LMAOO
Skyleia
lol unlike std, you can't fc a map here without following the rhythm, many pixel jumps have timing windows greater than od10 in std, in std you get 100s and 50s, here you are left with nothing
there are a few reasons why people hate ctb:
1. it's "so easy" - ctb has not as huge playerbase, low star rating maps are overrated, ctb system is trash and there are more and more farm maps.
let's say there is a new player that wants to play ctb. chances are:
-the person gets 150 pp in one day, you can't do it in std where even normal diffs are hard for beginners, says "it's too easy omg" and quits the game
-person gets around 6k pp with xeno as their top rank, they do it in 9k playcount, say "omg I got 6kpp with so little playtime can't do it in std OMG MINIGAME"
2. "not a rhythm game" people - they get good, they learn to play only with reading (you can do it in std and mania too, no rhythm involved, just change scroll speed of your average mania player and check the acc :3 ), they do it in 2 times more playtime than they usually would have, they say it's easy and quit the game
The biggest problems come from pp system being absolutely trash and abusable, person with 9k playcount at rank600 with xeno as their top rank is NOT a good player, person with 150 pp 30 playcount is NOT better than they are in std as well, they can't play ctb for shit, and reaching the top top levels (let's say top100 skillwise) will take them on average much much more time.
Ctb is a rhythm game. Deal with it. Just because you don't have to use rhythm to play, it doesn't mean shit. I don't use rhythm to play in std and mania either,
I can get (and I have some relatively) good acc scores, just mashing is more fun for me, and nothing stops me from getting even better. But I do use rhythm to play ctb. Turn off my volume and see me go from 99.5% to 97% on yomi yori, fail <insert random hard map here> and all that. Even if you mess with my hitsound volumes, I will play much worse. If reading was the only important thing, that would never happen. Also, as there are much less players in ctb, getting high rank compared to std is much easier, however being in the very top is just as hard.
Topic Starter
koemada

Skyleia wrote:

lol unlike std, you can't fc a map here without following the rhythm, many pixel jumps have timing windows greater than od10 in std, in std you get 100s and 50s, here you are left with nothing
there are a few reasons why people hate ctb:
1. it's "so easy" - ctb has not as huge playerbase, low star rating maps are overrated, ctb system is trash and there are more and more farm maps.
let's say there is a new player that wants to play ctb. chances are:
-the person gets 150 pp in one day, you can't do it in std where even normal diffs are hard for beginners, says "it's too easy omg" and quits the game
-person gets around 6k pp with xeno as their top rank, they do it in 9k playcount, say "omg I got 6kpp with so little playtime can't do it in std OMG MINIGAME"
2. "not a rhythm game" people - they get good, they learn to play only with reading (you can do it in std and mania too, no rhythm involved, just change scroll speed of your average mania player and check the acc :3 ), they do it in 2 times more playtime than they usually would have, they say it's easy and quit the game
The biggest problems come from pp system being absolutely trash and abusable, person with 9k playcount at rank600 with xeno as their top rank is NOT a good player, person with 150 pp 30 playcount is NOT better than they are in std as well, they can't play ctb for shit, and reaching the top top levels (let's say top100 skillwise) will take them on average much much more time.
Ctb is a rhythm game. Deal with it. Just because you don't have to use rhythm to play, it doesn't mean shit. I don't use rhythm to play in std and mania either,
I can get (and I have some relatively) good acc scores, just mashing is more fun for me, and nothing stops me from getting even better. But I do use rhythm to play ctb. Turn off my volume and see me go from 99.5% to 97% on yomi yori, fail <insert random hard map here> and all that. Even if you mess with my hitsound volumes, I will play much worse. If reading was the only important thing, that would never happen. Also, as there are much less players in ctb, getting high rank compared to std is much easier, however being in the very top is just as hard.

oh,,, but isn't it kind of stupid hating on a gamemode just because it's too easy? lmao
Skyleia

koemada wrote:

oh,,, but isn't it kind of stupid hating on a gamemode just because it's too easy? lmao

people hate because they want to feel superior because their gamemode is better and they look up for any reason they get, being easy is the first one they see
of course it is stupid, but people very often are stupid, you won't find reasonable person trying to tell you why x gamemode sucks
A Moon Gust
I wish I could reach that skill level that fast.
Topic Starter
koemada

A Moon Gust wrote:

I wish I could reach that skill level that fast.

mood
Kimitakari
Either meming around that o!ctb is a minigame or saying that is a dull mode. That's it.
Topic Starter
koemada

Nelly wrote:

Either meming around that o!ctb is a minigame or saying that is a dull mode. That's it.

oh
AlreadyExpert
People do say ctb is easy to play and the game is for children. Honestly, I think ctb game is really good the fact that the mod itself has a special variety among the rest of the mod.
Topic Starter
koemada

-DontBlink wrote:

People do say ctb is easy to play and the game is for children. Honestly, I think ctb game is really good the fact that the mod itself has a special variety among the rest of the mod.

Big agree lol
Edgar_Figaro
All the gamemodes each bring their own unique aspect to the game. Being elitist and looking down on people who prefer a different mode is dumb.

I find this “hatred” not just for CTB but for Taiko and Mania as well. So many Standard players consider the other modes as “mini-games” as a way to hold standard in a superior light.

But in reality it’s like trying to say that baseball is better than basketball. Both have reasons why people like them and neither is really better than the other.
show more