forum

Outdated Plays don't count towards PP

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kami North
I used to be a touchscreen player, but have recently gotten back into osu as a mouse player. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to be able to "reset their rank," (that's probably the main reason for the sockpuppeting issue aside from smurfing). This will prevent plays that inaccurately show a person's skill from a long time ago, and fix the issue about users who have abandoned the game as a whole.

Concept:
Any play older than x months (probably 1, 3, 6, or 12) will be deemed 0 pp, even if the scores stay.

Benefits:
  1. Inactive players will automatically derank, allowing for more accurate representation of rank
  2. Players who fail to keep their previous ability (either by getting rusty or changing playstyles), will be placed at a level suitable to their recent ability.
  3. Players' pp will consistently match their current ability, and encourages active playing.

Risks:
  1. Inconsistent, lucky "godmode" plays can expire, making someone lose their top play.
  2. High-ranked players, who rarely make Top 50's in their profile, due to all being "godlike" plays, will start to lose pp.
  3. People grinding maps for Tournament practice might start to decay for not playing other maps.

This will encourage players to play actively, and more accurately represent their skill based on recent plays instead of, for example, great plays ages ago and now the person is not nearly as good.
koemada
I agree with this concept
abraker

Nutik wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to be able to "reset their rank,"
ppy mentioned that rank resetting or making secondary accounts to start over or something might be a thing some time in the very distant future.

Nutik wrote:

Inactive players will automatically derank, allowing for more accurate representation of rank
Inactive players are already automatically removed from leaderboards after not playing for months.

Nutik wrote:

Inconsistent, lucky "godmode" plays can expire, making someone lose their top play.
Nobdy will support this for this very reason. This also means many of the famous scores will no longer count. Be prepared for an angry mob if mods don't mark this request invalid

I don't support this myself. I don't want osu! to be a game where you need to constantly be doing as good to keep your performance record where it is. Ranks already decay due to other people getting better than you and actively playing, and that is enough. To make plays players retried over 500 times or more to get not worth anything after some amount of time is going to upset many, many people.
Edgar_Figaro
Also a huge problem I have with this suggestion is that once you have gotten a score on a map you can’t use that score again for your top ranks. So even if I’m the future you are good enough to replicate your top plays it won’t help.

This would especially be a problem for higher ranks in Taiko, CTB, & Mania where there are a lot less high difficulty ranked maps.

So if this does get implemented PP>Score MUST be a thing so that you can remove your ancient 0PP plays with relatively similar plays on the same map (even if it doesn’t beat the old PP score)

As an example, let’s say past you got a 300PP play on a Mania map that has now reduced to 0PP due to decay. Let’s say that score was 930k on the map. Now you want to get the PP back so you play it again and get 925k which would be worth probably about 295PP. But since the old score of 930k is still higher as it’s same mod you won’t get that 295PP play and instead the 0PP ancient play will remain on top
show more