forum

Post mapping techniques that annoy you

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kanye West
Diamond jumps and the massive horizontal and Z jumps.
Waryas

mekadon wrote:

Probably much more, just too lazy to search
they're fun to play though
Sander-Don

Blue Dragon wrote:

please don't ever do this in your map
♥ That map
Oh, and I hate full note spaced streams, they're impossible for me to do on my tablet. Too much moving...
thelewa
1/6 or 1/8 streams fill me with hate and they ruin otherwise good maps
Mythras
Slow approach circles instantly infuriate me, slow approach circles WITH bad spacing WITH difficult timing make me play the map on easy and forget about it.

This isn't really an issue with newer maps, but the older ones are full of that crap, drives me insane since im going through them. ><
confeito14
Nice thread, but annoyed modders...

1 slider and 4 circles

We know, these are all fine.
How about this pattern?

rickyboi
1. Huge diamond pattern on high bpm maps.
2. Slow AR on 200 + bpm maps.
3. Slow slider velocity with huge jumps.
4. Anything higher than AR 9.
5. Spinners that are longer than 10 seconds.
moneto_old
1. Any notes/sliders that attempt to follow the vocals in a song. Especially if the vocals aren't quantized, or are on awkward beats.
2. Huge slider velocity changes that aren't exactly fitting the flow of a song. (Even worse if there's no SB warning)
3. An 8th note slider followed directly by an 8th note hitcircle. Not a problem on their own, but when there's a bunch of these with jumps and other hitcircles inbetween, I can never seem to get my fingers to hit them correspondingly, although I can read them just fine. (e.g. Vanessa [Extra], neu [v2b])
4. Wide spaced notes placed in a straight line. It looks like the most simple pattern, yet I frequently derp on these.
5. Similar to the above, notes placed in a large circular pattern with wide spacing.
-Athena-

mnto wrote:

4. Wide spaced notes placed in a straight line. It looks like the most simple pattern, yet I frequently derp on these.
5. Similar to the above, notes placed in a large circular pattern with wide spacing.
i feel ya mean i feel ya
4.fairy tail main theme (kirby mix)(makes me wanna pull my hair out)
5.flower dance short-ver (insane)(ironically one of my favourite maps)
D33d

mnto wrote:

1. Any notes/sliders that attempt to follow the vocals in a song. Especially if the vocals aren't quantized, or are on awkward beats.
May I ask why you detest the mapping of vocals? If they're carrying the song, then it's usually a good idea to map them. Because the melody usually has the most variance, changing between the lead and rhythm gives the map as much unique interest as possible. If the vocals ARE awkward and are being followed, then the mapper should be following their approximate rhythm and what's happening behind them, in a way which coincides with them.

Having said that, I really hate it when people map guitar solos with streams, because it doesn't usually work well. The average guitar solo is a pile of wank and isn't usually played entirely in time. Seeing a load of 1/4 1/3 nonsense is pretty bothersome, unless they're just used over specific phrases.

Also, long, widely spaced patterns bother me too, but that's just because I suck. It takes a great deal of control to hit them, but at least they make sense.
ziin

ragelewa wrote:

1/6 or 1/8 streams fill me with hate and they ruin otherwise good maps
1/6 streams are better than 1/4 streams when it's supposed to be 1/6.

pretty much anything that makes me go "what the shit" because it's not obvious when I'm supposed to hit the next note, or where the next note even is (and I'm not going to remove my hitbursts).
D33d
ziin just covered a bunch of lesser things which annoy me quite frequently. Additionally, I'm not keen on such things as this:

Basically, a short 1/2 stream going in one direction, with a 1/2 jump to the start of it. It becomes very hard to concentrate on the approach circle when there's a hitburst there; not to mention that it just doesn't make sense to push in one direction and then jump to the start and end so suddenly.

Also, now that I can actually play a lot of 'Masterpiece', I was reminded of how much I hate it when patterns are constructed for the sake of it, in a way which ignores the music. For example, this little bastard right here:

(4) starts on a new bar and the silly hexagonal slider pattern keeps going through a phrase, before there's a new combo. The silly overlapping pentagon spam which follows pretty much idles through the music without conveying where the downbeat lies. It resolves itself eventually, but there are so many consecutive bars in the map which just don't appear to follow the time signature. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the whole thing would've felt better if combos were placed better. What a shame.
Mercurial

ziin wrote:

dafuq with that sliders...
Wishy
Stupidly long spinners and low AR that doesn't fit either the map or the BPM.
Regou
...AR9 in a song which is below 170BPM(or even 180BPM). Hard to read and doesn't fit the song!
JappyBabes
Like the maps but those mapping styles ruin a lot of attempts.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I really don't like when the slider velocity doesn't match the distance snap. Constant speeding up for the sliders, and then slowing down just doesn't make a nice rhythm in most cases. Also slow sliders going into large jumps are just annoying. Don't get me started on stack jumps.
Rena-chan
Long combos of overlapping, singletappable notes.

Seriously, fuck that shit.
Amefuri Koneko
I hate triplets or gallops right after slider which started with a gallop (so I had to use my 2nd finger to hold that slider) especialy if this pattern goes repeatedly >.<
And fast 4 notes repetetive mini streams, when they used the way triplets are usually used, are pretty annoying too.
BeatofIke
^ All of the above.
emergist
Sliders that are too long annoy me.
Jordan
Spaced streams and diamond jumps
Ekaru
Poorly done compressed streams.
YodaSnipe
Rena-chan mapping techniques
HakuNoKaemi
every thing that doesn't have sense.

If it have sense, but is hard hard... who care?
theowest
Any high speed non-edgy jump. Smooth curved jumps with inconsistent distance spacing in a difficulty you cannot play without having to use flow.

and hidden notes behind other notes (especially sliders).
YodaSnipe

theowest wrote:

Any high speed non-edgy jump. Smooth curved jumps with inconsistent distance spacing in a difficulty you cannot play without having to use flow.
god you just- get me <3
XripztEr
bad timing map, and the rhythm doesn't follow music..
animez15
after the spin then the circle will easily appear.
bad timing of map. :?
Tshemmp
^ Well, bad timing isn't actually a mapping technique.

What I hate are streams with an even amount of Circles and any square formations. I also dislike exaggerated SV changes.

Edit: forgot to mention slow AR combined with high SV/spacing, this is the worst thing ever.
silmarilen
slow sliders in a fast map/fast sliders in a slow map
Frizz
Pretentious anti-jumps
CXu
Squares
YodaSnipe

CXu wrote:

Squares
Tsukasa

YodaSnipe wrote:

CXu wrote:

Squares
Kuria

CXu wrote:

Squares
exactly
tyrael6192
I don't wanna jump on the bandwagon, so I'll be original

really fast squares
Mismagius

CXu wrote:

Squares

YodaSnipe wrote:

CXu wrote:

Squares

Tsukasa wrote:

CXu wrote:

Squares

Kuria wrote:

CXu wrote:

Squares
exactly

tyrael6192 wrote:

I don't wanna jump on the bandwagon, so I'll be original

really fast squares

Kurokami

CXu wrote:

Squares
JAKACHAN
Squares and mappers who think that just randomly placing shit all over the place (even if it follows the rhythm) is a technique.
show more