forum

Use .osk file extension for skins!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Please zip your skin, but rename it to .osk. This will allow osu! to handle the file and automatically extract it to the correct place!
Bittersweet
I doubt most of them will pay attention on this. MLGnom and Dragvon tried to tell ppl to do so. They failed :v
palion
I think most people use winrar to compress/extract things, and one of the issues is that by default, when compressing, "RAR Compression" is usually selected instead of the necessary zip compression. rar is a proprietary file format, iirc, and is not as widely supported as zip. see http://puu.sh/mUvQ
Bittersweet
But MLGnom made cool tutorials for "how to create .osk"

MLGnom wrote:

[5.] There is an easier way to install skins.
All what user will need to do, is just opening the file.
You need to create .osk (osu! skin) file. How to do this I have explained below.

Creating .osk file with WinRAR

Creating .osk file with 7-ZIP

In short : You need to create .zip archive and simply change extension to .osk
Maybe its better to let it here too...? Anyway, after editing X images, why not spend 10 seconds to convert it to .osk >_>
cocoboom91
still cant we just post the skins up in the updater
YOUDONTKNOW
Ah thanks!
Dragvon

cocoboom91 wrote:

still cant we just post the skins up in the updater
The skins on the updater are hosted on different places. User-created ones usually are on mirror sites / puush.
Topic Starter
peppy
there is no easy way to mange skins available on the updater at the point. i hope to change this in the future.
Cristian

peppy wrote:

there is no easy way to mange skins available on the updater at the point. i hope to change this in the future.
Glad to hear that.
My1_old
why not like this:
create the skin and use it in osu. -> then there should be an upload button, if YOU are the Creator, then it will be send to the updater, and everyone is happy...

and I ALWAYS use osk in My Skins, you dont even need an extra program, when you Have Win XP or newer and I think everyone has that...
OsuMe65

peppy wrote:

well... this might be tough for newbies and interesting for experienced skinners...

but the great deal is the instructions... when they use a .rar format and change the file extension to .osk, their osu! skin that they made sucks because there are missing files...

master peppy (or us osu! players) must share this to the osu! skinning community about this... :)
emergist

OsuMe65 wrote:

master peppy (or us osu! players) must share this to the osu! skinning community about this... :)
But MLGnom has already made tutorials and I think it is widely circulated.
OsuMe65
dunno for others...
My1_old
but also nice would be that you can delete files which arent needed in the skin, like that there's a file in which are all the file names of the files to go away
OsuMe65

My1 wrote:

but also nice would be that you can delete files which arent needed in the skin, like that there's a file in which are all the file names of the files to go away
agree
DJKero
Didn't saw this, im going to start using this self-extracting method for my skins... 8-)
JackieW
Hope to have some links of osu! skins by the way.
Nad
Okay, after making one ofc xD '-'
H_Hitachiin

rororofun wrote:

Okay, after making one ofc xD '-'
<3 Ur Signature
IronicSteven
That'ts good to know that there an ez way to link everything without doing my old way, zip folder thanks
Mouse Aim AFK
Guys im a newbie, and im just asking how do i export skins to my osu!
i read everything in this thread but plz give me a direct answer to my question ^
Thx
Flanster
Export skins to osu?! do you mean import skins INTO osu! or export skins OUT of osu!..

If its importing depends on what the skinner provided.
-If the skin you downloaded is in a zip/rar file, unzip the skin folder to your osu!/Skin folder and select it in osu!
-If the skin you downloaded is a osk file, doubleclick on it and it should automatically import in osu!
Dockte Sword

peppy wrote:

Please zip your skin, but rename it to .osk. This will allow osu! to handle the file and automatically extract it to the correct place!
Miwa030
I'm using Expresszip though. How do i do this? :?
IppE

nyanyanluv3r wrote:

I'm using Expresszip though. How do i do this? :?
Just change the file extension from .zip to .osk, you don't actually need to pack it differently.
show more