forum

PP is Skill?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Karu
Hi, im going to post this in english or atleast ill try cause it's not my first language, anyhow continue down, i think this topic may be shitposting or already seen before but im going to post it aswell

Well i've been told that i am something called "PP Farmer" and that brought a lot of questions to me and the main of those is "Is pp equally to a player's Skill?" and i've asjed a lot of people and i would say that 75% said no it doesnt, but then i started to think "PP reward is better when u FC" so FCing is part of the skill and along whit this if you have 100 choked plays you will have less pp than a guy with 100 FC'ed scores so this is somehow skill right?

Another Example, people says long maps are underweighted and i think that too, but why does everyone says you are less skilled playing short maps than long? i mean if we play a short and a long map of 5* the short one have some hard jumps, long with high AR and fast, and the long one have regular jumps with 9ar and some streams (short ones have short streams) so the skill in the maps are the same but in different performance, in the long one you have to be (as an example) 50% of your skill for a long time so you dont get tired and in a short one 100% skill for a little time to FC the map

Im sorry guys but i'll finisht it here cause my english is so freakin bad and i cant say what i want or make more examples, please dont get mad to me or at anyone is just a question, i dont want to start offend anyone so just answer pacificly

Jotakaru ♥
Doge Owner
This should be in the General discussion section.
Topic Starter
-Karu

Doge Owner wrote:

This should be in the General discussionsection.

It is isnt it?
Green Platinum
It should be Gameplay and Rankings I think they meant: 13
Flanster
Moved to G&R.
SpasticSurgeon
It means you were skilled enough at the maps you played to FC/Pass them and get those points. If you are playing a wide variety of maps then I suppose you could say it more reflects your general osu! skill, but if you specialized you would probably get PP faster.

The PP system is supposed to reward you somewhat equally for everything, but that doesn't really work out. For one, it has to be careful with how it ranks long maps, because while stamina is definitely a skill, the system values others higher. As a result, short maps are superior for PP farming because you need less stamina and have to learn less patterns on average, but are rewarded with a similar amount of PP to long maps.

PP farming is looked down upon because the short nature of the maps makes it so that you can spam the same PP map over and over and eventually do really well and inflate your rank. Of course, you did learn the skills required to do well on the map, but if you are only playing PP maps which favor jumps over other skills then it won't really reflect your ability in something else very well. For example, if you just avoid streams and can't stream at all but you can DT jump maps for PP, some would say you are avoiding certain parts of the game. Most people aren't that extreme. And there's also an element of who cares how you play, but some people have philosophies about how the game should be played and generally respect a more well-rounded player than the modern player that the current system produces.

The thing is that ability to pass a PP map correlates heavily with other maps. So yes, it's an ok measure of skill, but it has some problems.
ManuelOsuPlayer
PP isn't = skill.

Stream is way hardest to learn than jumps for new players.
If you put the same amounth of time practicing both skills, your top plays will be only jump maps. Does that show skills, or just who play better jump maps? xD
dung eater
Pp is results as measured by the current pp system. You do need skill to get pp but having skill doesn't give pp.
Akanagi
It's a rough estimate atleast.
-Makishima S-
No, it's how much time you spent farming maps.
KupcaH
Yes, farming pp is a skill. But does it represent player overall skill? No.