forum

Poll 12: How should we deal with cheaters?

posted
Total Posts

A cheater is found (100% certain). What do we do with them?

Permanent ban (no exceptions)
41.67%
Give a second chance (new account)
12.50%
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access
45.83%
Total votes: 312
Polling ended
show more
VoidnOwO

Stefan wrote:

BRBP wrote:

This is the dumbest vote I've ever seen, you just gave three options to vote for the same result.

Permanent ban = disable account, good luck stopping them from making a new one
Second chance = makes no difference to the first option, except that it's easier for you to track the new account
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access = only reason to hack is to get scores, take that away and they'll make a new account.
Then you actually don't have to care, right?
Right, any other questions?
Stefan
nope.
Tshemmp

BRBP wrote:

blahblah only reason to hack is to get scores, take that away and they'll make a new account.
Not always true, I knew one hacker who coded a bot himself just for the sake of coding and perfectioning. He didn't care about ranks but ofcourse got some top ranks while testing and got banned in the end.
VoidnOwO

Tshemmp wrote:

BRBP wrote:

blahblah only reason to hack is to get scores, take that away and they'll make a new account.
Not always true, I knew one hacker who coded a bot himself just for the sake of coding and perfectioning. He didn't care about ranks but ofcourse got some top ranks while testing and got banned in the end.
Cool story, but why didn't he test it offline if ranks don't matter? And what did he do to continue making that perfect bot of his after he got banned? Care to guess?

You should also learn the difference between hacking and using a bot.
Tshemmp
Aaahhh, I didn't really want to start an argument about this. :/ Well.

BRBP wrote:

Cool story, but why didn't he test it offline if ranks don't matter? Why should he go offline for testing? "To not get banned?" Yeah, he didn't care about that either. And what did he do to continue making that perfect bot of his after he got banned? Care to guess? Well, he finished his perfect bot. So he was done with his "project", nothing to do there anymore.

You should also learn the difference between hacking and using a bot. Yeah, that was my fault, I didn't read carefully. You are right when you say hacks are only to get scores.
Wishy
Let them cheat it's ok.
Tsukimi Luna
and be a low profile pro without rank...
VIDgamefrk9

Wishy wrote:

Let them cheat it's ok.
I disagree, it will just encourage more people to do it to the point where most people don't play legit. think of a ripple effect happening in the community
Cropzy
Cheaters should be hung drawn and quartered.
Deni

[Luanny] wrote:

why are you ressurecting this dino-topic?
FlyingKiwi
Punch them in the face! Just kidding

How about banning them for like 1 year and give their account back?
Alarido

Hanyuu wrote:

Option 3:
Also all of their forum posts, their complete profile and all of the cheaters beatmaps are deleted. They should also be marked in both the user online list in game and their profile as a cheater so everyone will see it, and it should be so noticeable that you can not miss it. Also they should be silenced forever in any chat room and private messages. That is a very good punishment for cheaters, just let them be online and enjoy their shamefull existance and let them at least play without taking part in the community ever again in any way. This should also be applied for any other account they had before they got banned and also every new one they will create. And they should never again be able to post on the forums! Or make a subforum where only cheaters are allowed to post and let them cry with each other for the rest of their life
Hm... This is most likely God (or Karma or something else) works on real life. Thieves are an example of shame and permanent misery (while they don't repent and leave their crime life behind, becoming honest and nice...)

I choose the #3 option, adding the described 'hell' as mentionated above.

EDIT:
Hanyuu, really you're part of the Higurashi freakin' collab :o
jackisgone
It's possible to cheat in osu? wth how? Do people use like bots or something?
FlyingKiwi
I think so...
Lally

[Luanny] wrote:

Stefan
Can someone lock it please? <_<

inb4 Andrea
Andrea
No need to lock this kind of topic, where the community says their opinion about how to deal with something.

Suggestions are always welcomed, anytime.
Cropzy

Confirmed 100% true.

Is Satan.
[Luanny]

[Luanny] wrote:

lol
discussions like this = lock
Outsanity
I'm sure someone said this maybe but, if it's a 1st time offense, then wipe all their stats and start from the beginning and maybe put like [C] on their profile to indicate they cheated. Kinda like a Scarlet Letter kind of deal or a Wall of Shame page.
If they're stupid enough to cheat again, just ban them for good.
benguin
I'm in favor for a reasonable punishment for the first offense but I think repeat offenders should get the most harshest type of punishment possible (score wipe, no access to account, IP blocked, etc)
boat

Outsanity wrote:

I'm sure someone said this maybe but, if it's a 1st time offense, then wipe all their stats and start from the beginning and maybe put like [C] on their profile to indicate they cheated. Kinda like a Scarlet Letter kind of deal or a Wall of Shame page.
If they're stupid enough to cheat again, just ban them for good.
I'd totally exploit this to get all of my bad scores wiped.
YunoFanatic
lol i didnt know that there are cheaters xD on to the topic hmmp FIRST OFFENSE maybe just reset they're status put them back in lvl 0 then erase all of they're records but put them in the last last rankingscore just like erasing they're existence has just been deleted it should work no harm or others just plain punishment and maybe on the SECOND OFFENSE they cant access they're account for about let's say about a 5'month punishment or so so then the THIRD OFFENSE maybe we can put there the perma ban punishment or so called the punishment over 9000! then is should do the work .. LETS MAKE OSU RUN CLEAN!
BlackAgumon

hillaryzx wrote:

Permanent ban should be enough for real cheaters....
yeah its true
Trash Boat

BlackAgumon wrote:

hillaryzx wrote:

Permanent ban should be enough for real cheaters....
yeah its true
even if this thread is too old, i second that
Primula_old
This thread is old and I'm bumping to make a recommendation:
Why not just make it difficult for the cheater to notice whether they've been banned or not instead of informing them?

Make their scores still visible to them on the rankings, but only to them.
Make their chat invisible to everyone.. so if they try to say "LOL I HAX", they'd find themselves being ignored.

People either cheat because they want to make a scene (the obvious ones that take rank 1 on difficult maps) or because they're useless at osu and need cheats to help them.
My above proposed solution would make their efforts wasted because the attention they seek would not be granted.

Or how about.. cause them to get random misses every now and then.. that'd be frustrating because they would be baffled wondering why their cheats are broken.

It's the cheaters that are cheating just for attention that will be happy to just find methods to bypass whatever ban (ip/account/hardware etc) and make a new account and continue cheating.. so it's best to make it difficult for them to determine whether they're banned or not rather than practically informing them "You're banned, so now you can go make a new account to continue your fun."

Only issue with this is with people who get banned accidentally for whatever reason (assuming that ever actually happens).
Though I feel - if this isn't implemented already: the play that the user was banned for should be logged (similar to a replay) so admins can easily observe it to determine whether the player was actually cheating.
AmaiHachimitsu
Well, I think the amount of scores should be counted too.

Lovu has been banned before SteRRuM and despite writing e-mails etc he hasn't recovered his account. The point is that lovu cheated like 1 or 2 scores out of curiosity (of which I don't approve).

I'm for perm bans in general as a long-term solution, people will be just scared to try it out of curiosity. And if somebody wants to quit he shouldn't cheat like it happened with some guys bc it just makes them more suspicious. BUT if you're doing some exceptions please do it equally fair.
Eren Yaeger
Personally I feel as though if they the person just did it once and only once and if they're doing it to get banned in the first place then I feel as though the person should just be suspended for a period of time from submitting scores for a period of time equal to the amount of scores they have hacked with 3+ scores being hacked being a perm ban.
loldcraft
just silently disable score submission, let them happily hack and farm to realise they just wasted all their effort.
Trash Boat
Until some ultra designed software and technology to prevent cheaters, multi-accounters and hackers comes out, stick to permanent ban
Skriggniichan
Permanent ban. What else would you want to do to someone who is cheating?
Downsy
Permanent Ban, as well as an IP ban. Why give people 2nd chances who are wrecking the game?
Vuelo Eluko
well tiper got a second chance and i know many other people got a second chance who got caught cheating... so the precedent has been set, just roll with it imo.

i dont think mac address banning will be effective because at least for me i can change the mac address and ip on my router at will
B1rd
Their stats should be wiped, and they should be monitored for future cheating.

No mercy for them.
ngbeslhang
Pernament ban seems to be better than have their entire data wiped out, so someone can therefore be unbanned without the entire data being wiped after proved to be not cheating.
Valdyr
Just reset the stats if it's a first-time offence. If it continues, perm ban. It's basically a way of giving them a second chance and dealing with them, or at least warning them.
Pozepi
Show no mercy!!! PERMABAN!!!
ceschierpadua
Perma-Ban, people like them doesn't deserve a second chance.