forum

Poll 12: How should we deal with cheaters?

posted
Total Posts

A cheater is found (100% certain). What do we do with them?

Permanent ban (no exceptions)
41.67%
Give a second chance (new account)
12.50%
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access
45.83%
Total votes: 312
Polling ended
show more
eldnl
That was not what I mean but who cares xD
Ableh
i choose permanent ban
Salvage
Practically KRZY said everything i was thinking on the post 3 above this one, i would like to see permanent ban really working fine with no exeptions but since it does not, third one is the most viable one.
Papi Bear
Probably they have god like hands to manage a perpect score using all hard mods in an insane song.. So they always say they don't cheat.. XD

*I voted for 'reset scores, etc.'... It should be 'reset anything including the supporter's tag'...
LaceWingfield
i vote for permaban
Game is for fun, not to show off that "i'm good at this or that"
it would be better with effort, but cheating is just-- NO.
Vish024
I know the cheating is unacceptable but I still believe permabans are slightly harsh. After all, the results of cheating can be negated and scores can be reset.
Espionage724
I vote permaban, there is no reason why you should cheat.

As for IP banning, not entirely sure how effective this might be. I mean I can get a different IP just by resetting my modem. MAC address banning however is a bit more effective, but I have no idea the lengths needed to do this
Papi Bear
cheating in osu! (or any other games) is like cheating in class :p
ziin

Papi Bear ROCKS wrote:

cheating in osu! (or any other games) is like cheating in class :p
god I did that all the time...
Sakura
I voted permaban, because well, every other game out there, cheating is a permanent ban so, why the hell would we be more lenient than that.
BeatofIke

Sakura Hana wrote:

I voted permaban, because well, every other game out there, cheating is a permanent ban so, why the hell would we be more lenient than that.
Well that is true...
eldnl

BeatofIke wrote:

Sakura Hana wrote:

Well that is true...
It isn't, I've played other games that the bans are like 1 month, 2 month 6 month or something like that depending on the cheat xD
SilentKiller

peppy wrote:

Winshley wrote:

(I'm also hoping that peppy can find a way to detect Flashlight cheatings. Perhaps with some unique algorithms applied to the Flashlight mod)

navy0333 wrote:

i think osu! should have a antihacking system...... like other online games.....
It does. The fact you don't know it's there means it's doing a good job; it should not interfere with normal users at all.
Yeah because sending a list of open processes and window names is a anti cheat lol. But to be real the worst thing you gonna get on this game is more than likely the flash light issue. Its not popular enough for someone to even bother messing with.
palion

SilentKiller wrote:

Yeah because sending a list of open processes and window names is a anti cheat lol. But to be real the worst thing you gonna get on this game is more than likely the flash light issue. Its not popular enough for someone to even bother messing with.

osu probably md5s dlls for a hashcheck (based off seeing osu!.cfg)

anyway, I think permanent ban is ineffective against cheaters because they can easily re-register and provokes cheaters to hack more; the 3rd option is probably the best option here
SilentKiller

palion wrote:

SilentKiller wrote:

osu probably md5s dlls for a hashcheck (based off seeing osu!.cfg)

anyway, I think permanent ban is ineffective against cheaters because they can easily re-register and provokes cheaters to hack more; the 3rd option is probably the best option here
I laughed so hard at this....
BeatofIke

eldnl wrote:

It isn't, I've played other games that the bans are like 1 month, 2 month 6 month or something like that depending on the cheat xD
Ah i see. Nvm then.
Jaay-
Cheaters should be Banned Forever.
Ijah_old
YodaSnipe
icwudt Jaay
Ijah_old

SilentKiller wrote:

Fact: downloading otherwise private info (such as process lists and window/application data like osu! does without any end user consent is very much illegal, here in the UK at least.
Mesita

Ijah wrote:

SilentKiller wrote:

Fact: downloading otherwise private info (such as process lists and window/application data like osu! does without any end user consent is very much illegal, here in the UK at least.
if you know it, and yet u still play, it means u are consenting.
SilentKiller

Ijah wrote:

SilentKiller wrote:

Its not public info. I`ve posted it before in the forums and it was removed very swiftly I might add. I dont see why there was such an issue with it if the information was being used correctly.

9. PRIVACY POLICIES
osu.ppy.sh finds your privacy most important, and we value your use of our services. osu.ppy.sh's services are free of any charge, no prior registration is needed for the use of these services. osu.ppy.sh will explicitly ask for information about you when such information is needed for use of the services provided by osu.ppy.sh. Any submission of any personal information is done only with your voluntary act (website), or automatically (game client software) where necessary to provide diagnostics and feedback. osu.ppy.sh keeps all private and personal information private, and does not, or will not share this information with any third parties except under the following circumstances :
When such action is necessary to conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process.
When such action is necessary to protect and defend rights or property of osu.ppy.sh.
When such action is necessary to enforce osu.ppy.sh terms and conditions of service.
osu.ppy.sh may use cookies as party of tracking process, but cookies will not be used to personally identify you without your prior consent. If the user decides to participate in the forum, with user's consent, a cookie will be issued to keep track of the username and password for the period of 1 year.

Doesnt even state the use of data being transmitted. TOS should be updated to accommodate.
Ephemeral
that's surprisingly astute from you, SilentKiller.

pretty much every program with any tangible from of "hack detection" will at the very least, check what processes are running on your machine to a list of "suspicious" ones determined by the distributors of the software. this is not new, and such information is probably never even seen by human eyes to begin with.
palion
the process data should at least be encrypted somewhat =\
Jaay-

YodaSnipe wrote:

icwudt Jaay
:D
Glazbom
312 votes
animez15
CHEATERS SHOULD BE BANNED!!!by that..it really shows as an example for those people who really doing it!!!
they should be contented..IMPROVEMENT is the best way! :) :) :)
EmeliaK
Permahammer, most definitely. If someone cheats, what's to say they won't cheat again? It's like a leopard on a vinyl recorder.

Except without the leopard.

Or the vinyl recorder.

*ahem*
halo398

Ijah wrote:

SilentKiller wrote:

well how botu friendok impersonating my account doing my account from halo398 into halo 398 eh?
Pandemoniusz
I think cheaters should be nailed to the cross.
RaneFire
The main problem with leaving cheaters around, as seen in another game I play, is that they spread their cheats with their friends once they get caught. It's best to permaban.

Not like the war can be won against multi's tho, but atleast their friends list will be inaccessible.

And they're lazy to make multi's just to spread a cheat, which is why they cheat in the first place.
For example once they get their scores reset, they just float around doing stuff and even cheating like before if they know they're given a second chance by the 'system' of 'not-banning.' They talk to people, and before long, this guy is offering 'you' cheats.

It's happened to me in 2 other games already where I had considerable skill, cheaters got caught, and they were my friends, but they stuck around and soon offered me the cheats. Naturally due to my personality of striving to improve my coordination skills, I refused.
halo398

Pandemoniusz wrote:

I think cheaters should be nailed to the cross.
isnt that a bit offensive to other religions?
ReVeNg3r

Pandemoniusz wrote:

I think cheaters should be nailed to the swastika.
DevianteBrent
Why can't people just play FAIRLY?!
Carlos
what is a cheater?, I say because I dont wanna accidentally do something that I regret later. XD
Starrodkirby86

Rock Forever wrote:

what is a cheater?, I say because I dont wanna accidentally do something that I regret later. XD
You'll probably be safe from being considered a cheater or anything of the like then. :P

However, cheating and the like usually comes from using an external program to give an unfair advantage to the player and/or editing data files on osu!. If one change the way the program behaves that only they will unfairly benefit, then that's cheating.

EDIT: Also, take a good read of this.
Hawkii
Heyyaa ~

Me and CaCtus112 were thinking of an own let's call it Anti-Cheating/Hacking-Team in/at osu! just like the Beatmapping community got BAT and MAT, the like gaming/rank community should have an Anti Cheat Team, maybe o:

Still, it would be hard to ban all the Hackers and Multi-Accounts out there, but having an own team of people who search for those hackers/cheaters, reporting them and finally ban them, would possibly make the whole cheating-situation a bit better. Maybe x:

I dun know if that is a good idea or not ..
BrokenArrow
I think BAT's already have the permission to ban people, or am I wrong?
If I'm wrong I support you idea, although peppy and other staff will say "just report their scores and we'll do it"..
Stefan

Hawkii wrote:

Still, it would be hard to ban all the Hackers and Multi-Accounts out there
They are not so many cheaters out. If it's clearly to see that they cheat, they get banned as soon as possible.
If there's no obviously evidence to see, it will be harder to give a reason to ban, yes.
But seriously, every 40.000th player cheats. So a Team isn't neccessary since the Mods here can ban/reset scores.
Cristian
Nice to heard.
show more