forum

Prototype 2, the power of god is in your hands now

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Athena-

a proper story giving your actions actual interesting purpose and refined gameplay that looks awesome as hell
i see assassin's creed 2 in this game
emonite
Prototype 1 is fun but bland later on,hope Prototype 2 can fix that problem and make it better.I want Alex Mercer back though...
GeNJiii_old
I complete prototype 1, i liked it a lot, but when you end the history.... is a little....boring? , it would be nice if at the end of prototype 2 you can do other things more funny, or play online, xD wew will see
Pizzicato
this one im waiting for <3
will pre-purchase if my wallet can
fairuz117
Prototype 2 is released today! yay!, but still doesnt exist in indonesia .___.
Topic Starter
-Athena-
Seems reviews of the game are average so far... I was kinda expecting a GOTY, but I guess this works as well :D
Changed title
Nanael_old
Mandatory post due to badass thread title.
So, did anyone get this one yet? I have to say, the final battle of the first one sort of disappointed me, I mean, they totally re-used a design from a previous boss and just added powers. Creativity for gods sake. \rant end
Soulclenz
I bought it when it came out, TBH im giving it a "meh". I don't want to spoil it for anyone but overall it just feels... Not new... At all. If you enjoy killing endless amounts of humans in brutal ways then the game is for you, but so far all I'm seeing is a "meh"
Shellghost

-A t H e N a- wrote:

I was kinda expecting a GOTY
Did you mean you expected paid reviews or did you mean that you expected this game to actually be amazing?

Prototype was always just about how much you could dick around killing people and it got extremely bland extremely quick.
Topic Starter
-Athena-
I was expecting this game to be amazing to be honest, the trailer gave me a lot of hope especially with the new story, after snooping around on the Internet people mostly say its the same game as prototype 1 just with better gameplay, and the same old flaws(a story that you don't care about, and some other less irritating stuff)

This franchise has potential, I hope that if 3 ever makes it they won't squander it again
Seibei4211
It's ridiculous to expect a decent story from an open-world, superpower-based video game. But even so, the story's at least a little more interesting than Prototype's. And I've seen that people maybe wanted Mercer back as the main character, but the only people who'd think that are people who haven't played the game and see how much better Heller is. Mercer's a whiny, emo-fag who complains about being awesome, and Heller's a Samuel L. Jackson badass who kills dudes if they disrespect him. He totally doesn't put up with bullshit. Mercer makes for a better antagonist anyway.

And as for the gameplay, it seems unfair to simply say that it's "better." I mean, it's so different and so much better. The stealth consume stuff is completely enhanced, cause now you can press a button and see who you can consume and who's watching the person if you can't. I don't think the first game had a dodge feature, but this game sure does. Makes combat a whole lot more satisfying. And your shield can counter/deflect stuff instead of just block stuff like in the first game. The movement is mostly the same, except there aren't so many skyscrapers in this city, so you aren't spending so much time running up walls, which makes traversal more fast-paced. The new tendrils power is pretty cool. And Mutations are nice. Collectibles are way better this time around, and they don't have those stupid events anymore.

And to be fair, I wasn't even a big fan of Prototype to begin with. I almost didn't even get this game. I got it because nothing else was out, but I can still spot all of these differences/improvements.
Nanael_old
The issue here I think is that the teaser trailer was sorta misleading, I mean, it implied a proper history and people bought into it.
From what I could see, it totally feels like an old game. I am yet to test it (if ever) so I can't say more.
Shellghost

Seibei4211 wrote:

It's ridiculous to expect a decent story from an open-world, superpower-based video game.
InFamous? I didn't play it but people say its story was decent.

Seibei4211 wrote:

Mercer makes for a better antagonist anyway.
Possible spoilers?

Seibei4211 wrote:

you can press a button and see who you can consume and who's watching the person if you can't.
Sounds like they've casualised made something which was easy even easier.

Seibei4211 wrote:

The movement is mostly the same, except there aren't so many skyscrapers in this city, so you aren't spending so much time running up walls, which makes traversal more fast-paced.
I seem to remember running horizontally along walls, (although I may be mixing it up with a Spider-man game since I played Prototype once through the story and that's it) which was very parkour based and made travel fluent and fast paced if you did so. (Might be wrong.)

Anyway it kinda looks like I'm simply out to discredit Prototype 2 at this point. Oh well.
Nanael_old

Shellghost wrote:

Anyway it kinda looks like I'm simply out to discredit Prototype 2 at this point. Oh well.

Stating facts is just that. If pointing such facts makes the game look bad then it wasn't so awesome to begin with. Not that a lot was said anyway.

Shellghost wrote:

I seem to remember running horizontally along walls, (although I may be mixing it up with a Spider-man game since I played Prototype once through the story and that's it) which was very parkour based and made travel fluent and fast paced if you did so. (Might be wrong.)
No, you're correct, I used to do so all the time. Less monotonous than running on the streets.
adam2046

Shellghost wrote:

Seibei4211 wrote:

It's ridiculous to expect a decent story from an open-world, superpower-based video game.
Nope. Terrible writing, characters and a generally boring plot.

Honestly I'll probably be happy with Prototype 2 when I buy it, I was happy enough just running around punching dudes with my fists in the first game.
Soulclenz

Seibei4211 wrote:

It's ridiculous to expect a decent story from an open-world, superpower-based video game. But even so, the story's at least a little more interesting than Prototype's. And I've seen that people maybe wanted Mercer back as the main character, but the only people who'd think that are people who haven't played the game and see how much better Heller is. Mercer's a whiny, emo-fag who complains about being awesome, and Heller's a Samuel L. Jackson badass who kills dudes if they disrespect him. He totally doesn't put up with bullshit. Mercer makes for a better antagonist anyway.

And as for the gameplay, it seems unfair to simply say that it's "better." I mean, it's so different and so much better. The stealth consume stuff is completely enhanced, cause now you can press a button and see who you can consume and who's watching the person if you can't. I don't think the first game had a dodge feature, but this game sure does. Makes combat a whole lot more satisfying. And your shield can counter/deflect stuff instead of just block stuff like in the first game. The movement is mostly the same, except there aren't so many skyscrapers in this city, so you aren't spending so much time running up walls, which makes traversal more fast-paced. The new tendrils power is pretty cool. And Mutations are nice. Collectibles are way better this time around, and they don't have those stupid events anymore.

And to be fair, I wasn't even a big fan of Prototype to begin with. I almost didn't even get this game. I got it because nothing else was out, but I can still spot all of these differences/improvements.
I wouldn't say the gameplay is so much different and so much better at all. The added dodge is pointless seeing as you can jump endlessly and just dive back down on any target you please. As for the stealth consume, gonna have to agree with Shellghost on this one, is looking at enemies to see who is watching who too much to ask for in this day of video gaming?

Yeah, the block mutation is cool but again, pretty standard stuff.

All in all the game just really isn't anything new and amazing.
Seibei4211

Shellghost wrote:

Yeah, no, I've played through inFamous 1 and 2. The story is standard fare for superhero stuff. I think what people like more about it is the story-telling aka the comic book styled cutscenes.

Shellghost wrote:

Possible spoilers?
I can't spoil something that's explicitly explained in most of the trailers for the game. Before I picked up the game, I knew that Heller didn't like Mercer because he says Mercer killed his wife and kid. But if you haven't seen the trailers, you figure this stuff out within the first five minutes of playing the game.

Shellghost wrote:

Sounds like they've casualised made something which was easy even easier.
More like they made something that was a boring, lengthy, easy, trial-and-error filled process and turned it into a fun, quick, easy, more-like-a-puzzle process.

Shellghost wrote:

Well, you can still run horizontally along walls, but the height of the buildings make that unnecessary most of the time. In the first game, you had to run along walls a lot because there were so many tall buildings, so you wouldn't just hop on the roof. And if you did need to get to the top, it took a while. In this game, most of the buildings are 5-10 stories high, so you can just run up to the top and start gliding from rooftop to rooftop. Now you could always just jump off of the side of the building and start gliding in the first one, but then you're always jumping off at kind of an angle, so it's not as fast as just going straight. So the differences are small, which is why I said it's mostly the same, but it just feels faster in the second one.

Soulclenz wrote:

I wouldn't say the gameplay is so much different and so much better at all. The added dodge is pointless seeing as you can jump endlessly and just dive back down on any target you please. As for the stealth consume, gonna have to agree with Shellghost on this one, is looking at enemies to see who is watching who too much to ask for in this day of video gaming?
Having a dodge feature doesn't count as an improvement to jumping around like a jackass? You can still do that, but now you don't have to. And yes, it is too much to ask to cram a decent stealth mechanic into an open-world, superpower-based game. I'm going to guess that they didn't try to make the stealth mechanic more difficult because this isn't a stealth game. I wouldn't have liked it if they got rid of it entirely, because it's still so funny to kill everyone in the room and no one ever notices. Also, the game is so weird in the way it determines if someone is being watched or not. If someone is standing next to a group of three people that are talking to each other, he's not being watched if he's not in the group. It's sooo boring to have to wait and watch for openings, so I'd rather the game just tell me when I can or can't stealth kill a guy. If this wasn't an action game starring a dude with superpowers, then I would have a problem with it.
Topic Starter
-Athena-
To be honest what i really wanted out of this game was an epic tale, sort of like god of war, yes I realize some people believe it's nothing but revenge revenge and whatever bad things you can throw at it, but at least the execution was marvelous, though i'm probably wrong trying to compare a third person hack and slash adventure game to this, i think it's still possible.

Open world games can have epic stories, in fact any game can, it just depends on the developers. This franchise already had very solid gameplay, all that was required were some fine tuning to it (especially stealth mechanics), smoother animations and some more variety to what you could do. The hurdle that this franchise had to overcome to score a 9 instead of a 7 was it's story and the way it told it, from what i've seen it's curse word after curse word after curse word, and the potential for greatness was completely wasted.
Nanael_old
Maybe you're all talking about a different kind of "dodge" but the roll-over dodge move is in the first game too, I actually abused it a lot.

-A t H e N a- wrote:

from what i've seen it's curse word after curse word after curse word, and the potential for greatness was completely wasted.
Yup, I completely agree. To say it couldn't possibly have had a good plot is an excuse, nothing else.
awp
can you put people down without killing them after picking them up? That's the one thing I didn't like about Prototype.
Nanael_old

awp wrote:

can you put people down without killing them after picking them up? That's the one thing I didn't like about Prototype.
Does throwing them with mighty force count as putting down?
show more