forum

Should the Flashlight Mod Stay? (Suggestion)

posted
Total Posts
show more
lolcubes
Lets stay on topic and discuss flashlight instead of flaming each other, please.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with current flashlight mod. I don't really like but that's another matter.
I find it extremely difficult to play with, no matter what map/song, it just confuses the hell outta me. I am also too lazy to memorize stuff, so I don't even like it. In my opinion, it has a right multiplier because it's really hard to play with, just because some people find it easy, it doesn't mean it really is. Just because I find it really hard, it doesn't mean it's really that hard either. Opinions.
Also, report all scores that look suspicious like Odaril said, if the said scores aren't removed shortly then that is either because the hack hasn't been detected yet, or the person didn't hack at all, which means you should give him some proper respect. Just because you never saw that person have such a score, doesn't automatically mean it's a cheater.

Oh, and FL has 1.12x multiplier, hidden has 1.06, can't believe noone said this yet.
Waryas
I don't know if its on topic but flashlight is after hidden the easiest mod to cheat and the hardest to detect.
There are just so many means to replicate a legit FL scores it's not even funny.
Glass

Kael wrote:

Are CtB players even allowed to say sth about this topic?
Nothing against CTB players, just that guy happens to be a CTB main and he can't seem to keep up with this discussion so I'm pointing him the right direction ;)
YodaSnipe
I don't know why people saying that memorization takes no skill. Memorization itself *is* a skill, and improving your ability to memorize a map shouldn't be penalized. I have the utmost respect for FL mod players, cause I don't have the skill to FL most maps even after 100+ or w.e plays. I agree with lolcubes. However, I also think what glass said at the beginning of this thread is also right, that it should scale better with short->long maps. That's my opinion anyways!
Laharl
Glass: Alright. Back to OP.
1. Do you agree that Flashlight score modifier should be lower than DT and Hidden instead of the same?
Actually the FL multiplier is the same as DT in Standard and it is the same as Hard Rock in CtB. I think this is alright as it is at the moment.
2. Do you agree that it should be a lower modifier than HR?
The main problem here is that the HR multipier in standard is 1,06x as far as I know (and FL 1,12x), and I do not know a single thing about how hard DT (which multiplier is 1,12x)is in standard. So I'd say no here.
3. How often do you use FL? Do you like playing with it, or do you just add it to get extra score?
I only use FL on Easy-maps and not very often. This means I tried maybe about 10-15 maps with FL.
4. How often do you use FL on your first run of a map? Can you FC a map with FL on the first time you see it?
Not very often. And no, surley not.
5. Do you oppose losing scores you have on maps that you cleared with FL?
No, not really. I think a few FL players who like the mod would going berserk if that happens.

I agree with lolcubes first part of his post about the flashlight mod itself.
TheVileOne
I have to agree it is easy to cheat but it is a unique gamemode. I remember the time when Flashlight was first removed due to cheating. People had to come back with overwhelming support to get it back as well as some exploits getting fixed. Besides it would remove basically the top 20-30 players of any Easy mode if it were removed. There would be a LOT of displaced scores and it's not like you could just easily remove those.
winber1
I myself find flashlight annoying as hell. I only use it when im bored and feel like laughing at my failures, especially on my own maps. Despite that, I do think flashlight should stay as it is. Yes, it probably would be better if flashlight had some sort of incremental score increase depending on the length of the song (and the amount of jumps in the song), but still the 1.12x multiplier works pretty well imo.

Memorization is quite hard, and the fact that you can't even see where the next note is if it is a big jump makes it even harder. Knowing how far to jump (though it's just muscle memory) is really quite hard sometimes depending on the map.

however, some epic doubletime hidden probably shouldn't get beaten by flashlight hidden :/

restating things in this thread like a bawss
eldnl

Glass wrote:

eldnl wrote:

hard=/=long

aweonao

Glass wrote:

It's easy as shit on low combo maps (TVsized crap) and hard on high combo maps
I see you still can't read properly what I said, and by your logic; short maps = hard to FL, long maps = easier to FL?? LOL THIS GUY FOR REAL.

and good job at resorting to insult me in your own language, so here's one for you: 你真是一个大傻逼.

Stick to CTB, standard is obviously too deep for you so stay out of the discussion.
lololol you're so funny XD and you must read properly, btw, I have enough plays in standard to discuss here ...
Salvage

Waryas wrote:

I don't know if its on topic but flashlight is after hidden the easiest mod to cheat and the hardest to detect.
There are just so many means to replicate a legit FL scores it's not even funny.

This, also sometimes is even sad how people cheat to become famous in some sense and they don't get banned, the thing about it is that there are a lot of methods to cheat it, and probabbly admins can't detect it for sure, and as everyone knows it people won't get banned unless it's 100% sure that the person used fl hack (not that i'm against it but there are some obvious scores over there, i think aevv already prooved this already)
TheVileOne
The problem with the cheating reason is as thus. If you're only using a cheat to see in flashlight, you're never going to get anywhere impressive scorewise. You would still need skill to beat the song with the other mods legitly. Besides if it's hard to detect, you wouldn't know that he's hacking, and what you don't know wont hurt you?

Really hacking is only a major issue if the player is actually doing something impressive. In most cases, this would not be so.
Salvage
Not when you're entering the top 20 best players just for 'being good' with fl, you know.
eldnl
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13223 this is not just being good with fl >.> btw I don't know whose you're talking about XD
Salvage
This is not the place neither are you the person i should be talking to so we should drop that anyways, i know i started the issue but i'm kind of dissappointed on how things are being handled regarding that ^__^.
Anzo

Aqo wrote:

Some players consider the "Flashlight" mod broken in one way or another.

I think not, FL is just made that way.

The way it works right now, your area of vision gradually grows smaller as you gradually progress through a map with FL.

No, it's getting smaller as your combo goes higher.
1. Do you agree that Flashlight score modifier should be lower than DT and Hidden instead of the same?
Yes.

2. Do you agree that it should be a lower modifier than HR?
No

3. How often do you use FL? Do you like playing with it, or do you just add it to get extra score?
Not often, except on easier diffs.

4. How often do you use FL on your first run of a map? Can you FC a map with FL on the first time you see it?
Depends on the map.

5. Do you oppose losing scores you have on maps that you cleared with FL?
No, not really.
Hatsune Miku_old

Glass wrote:

so here's one for you: 你真是一个大傻逼.

so here's one for you: 你真是太屌了
Wishy
FL = cheat mode.

Multipliers should be:

DT x1,2
FL x1,15
HR x1,10
HD x,1,05

Yeah HR + HD giving a little more score than FL, still HR increases OD like shit so getting HR HD 100% is sometimes way more challenging than lol memorizing a map. Doing FL only scores is for pussies who "enjoy it" or for those who can't beat some score and have to use that mod to do it. If you argue playing FL just for fun and not for e-penis, you shouldn't be whining if it gets unranked or just deleted.

---

Still it always depends on the map so.

HR's bonus should have some kind of relationship with the map's base OD and CS. Playing HR on OD 6 maps is kind of easy since you can get very high accuracy with no much trouble, but then doing HR on any OD 8 map is hard as hell. CS issue is the same playing some the second highest CS (I mean, the smallest) is hard as shit, while playing I don't know some map with huge circles + HR isn't that hard.

Same applies to FL, the higher the map's combo the higher the bonus should be.

Still going for the first system I said since maps change with time and using a map-related system would need changes frequently, plus it'd be a pain to do because you can't really make some automated shit to judge the bonus FL should give on each map, because you also have to think about spacing (maps like Marisa that have pretty much 2 patterns repeated during 3 minutes are way easier to FL than some jumpy thing).

---

BTW eldnl stfu Glass got some quite impressive FL scores, if he could do that I think memorizing some stupid TV Size map would be no trouble, since most of them are not only short but also easy and not that complicated.
Glass
nvm (;
Wishy
录少又用西班牙语怎么变成我, 他又嫌我记录清楚在?
Fabi
住口 Wishy22
Glass

Wishy22 wrote:

Multipliers should be:

DT x1,2
FL x1,15
HR x1,10
HD x,1,05
it's hard to balance mod bonuses because the difficulty varies a lot depending on the songs, HR is easier than DT on high BPM songs but on low BPM songs it's quite the opposite. just like how FL is pretty much free score on low-spacing/short maps yet a grindfest on jumpy/long maps

imo just leave the scores as it is and wasteland this thread, nothing good is coming out of it anyway

thx Fabi, forever scarred whenever I play Lux
Mesita
off topic: I got here cuz some people spammed me ingame... If anyone wants proof or something else of me playing flashlight or HL i can record a video or w/e if you just ask me nicely. I'm not afraid of showing my live plays as other players are. And i can respond to all your questions/doubts you might have about me or the way i play.

on topic: i think this topic has been discussed over and over, so i think it should stay the way it is or just remove flashlight all the way.
Ibuki Suika

Glass wrote:

lol? 他又嫌我记录少又用西班牙语骂我怎么变成我屌了,弄清楚在回帖 ok?
no,his mean is your so awesome

btw,you know chinese? This is clearly better than Googletranslated
Glass

Ibuki Suika wrote:

no,his mean is your so awesome

btw,you know chinese? This is clearly better than Googletranslated
Oh I thought his post was sarcastic, and yes I know chinese.
Wishy

Glass wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Multipliers should be:

DT x1,2
FL x1,15
HR x1,10
HD x,1,05
it's hard to balance mod bonuses because the difficulty varies a lot depending on the songs, HR is easier than DT on high BPM songs but on low BPM songs it's quite the opposite. just like how FL is pretty much free score on low-spacing/short maps yet a grindfest on jumpy/long maps

imo just leave the scores as it is and wasteland this thread, nothing good is coming out of it anyway

thx Fabi, forever scarred whenever I play Lux
Yeah that's another problem, other possible issue is that HD on Easy maps is damn impossible, while HR is free score. Making DT's bonus be related to the map's BPM would work too.
dNextGen
make it stay,and add bonus to HR instead because its harder than hidden and FL o/
Salvage
Multipliers will probabbly not change, we should stick to the reality and ban cheaters, it's the only viable option i actually find that could solve this problem, flashlight is as hard or even more than dt on hard maps if not cheated on, hidden could be really hard as hr too, there are players who read hardrock like nothing and can actually play it better than no mod, and suck at hidden, the modifiers on hr and hd are fine imo, the thing is FL and it will probabbly not get disabled (if it does then i'm okay with it but i'd rather see some banning action on who corresponds)

@Mesita: It must be easy to record a video using a macro and pretending to play, i really don't find a way you could proove anything other than it being pretty obvious to me, i personally would not need any proof at all and i find it pretty disgusting, but well that's how the system works.
Mesita
@salvage: it's ok for you to believe that. I can prove i don't macro or w/e... in fact, when i get my brother's camera i'll call you and put a livestream, and you will tell me what to play, that way you won't cry about macros and stuff.
Stefan
It's sweet how people cry just because some guys started to hack and will be banned after days.
peppy will not remove FL just for the trolls and against the Hacker. They also use the other Mods to hack, btw.
Like on CtB they are using DT with HR.
Revengexsoyah

Salvage wrote:

Multipliers will probabbly not change, we should stick to the reality and ban cheaters, it's the only viable option i actually find that could solve this problem, flashlight is as hard or even more than dt on hard maps if not cheated on, hidden could be really hard as hr too, there are players who read hardrock like nothing and can actually play it better than no mod, and suck at hidden, the modifiers on hr and hd are fine imo, the thing is FL and it will probabbly not get disabled (if it does then i'm okay with it but i'd rather see some banning action on who corresponds)

@Mesita: It must be easy to record a video using a macro and pretending to play, i really don't find a way you could proove anything other than it being pretty obvious to me, i personally would not need any proof at all and i find it pretty disgusting, but well that's how the system works.

The best post, ever hahaha fuck i cant stop laugh
well i can say is a one stuff, i stay with mesita to long hours of night watching he as training the maps for more than 1 hour with spun out, and even more what i know or more likely cheaters come and occupy a 1 attempt to blatantly way.
PD: would be a disgrace how much work and effort in a game be throw to the trash only by a little doubt someone who can not admit someone less ranking win he.

WELL, i dont spek more maybe can be taken up against bye!
Salvage
I couldn't care less about lower rank players winning against me, try to not come in a pack saying bullshit guys seriously, almost everyone plays better than me, i only care if it's in a legit way or not.
Maraiga

Waryas wrote:

I think flashlight takes more skills than dt on certain maps.
Yep. It should stay.
Sync
I don't know what you people are talking about

memorizing a map above 4 stars is pretty hard
-Athena-
Yes it should, maybe modified, but it should stay
It's the most fun mode since it completely screws the interface and I can't imagine osu! Without it
Also memorizing a map on FL takes a lot of hardwork, and fc'ing a map is not easy even after complete memorization since random mistakes do happen
eldnl

Wishy22 wrote:

FL = cheat mode.

Multipliers should be:

DT x1,2
FL x1,15
HR x1,10
HD x,1,05

Yeah HR + HD giving a little more score than FL, still HR increases OD like shit so getting HR HD 100% is sometimes way more challenging than lol memorizing a map. Doing FL only scores is for pussies who "enjoy it" or for those who can't beat some score and have to use that mod to do it. If you argue playing FL just for fun and not for e-penis, you shouldn't be whining if it gets unranked or just deleted.

---

Still it always depends on the map so.

HR's bonus should have some kind of relationship with the map's base OD and CS. Playing HR on OD 6 maps is kind of easy since you can get very high accuracy with no much trouble, but then doing HR on any OD 8 map is hard as hell. CS issue is the same playing some the second highest CS (I mean, the smallest) is hard as shit, while playing I don't know some map with huge circles + HR isn't that hard.

Same applies to FL, the higher the map's combo the higher the bonus should be.

Still going for the first system I said since maps change with time and using a map-related system would need changes frequently, plus it'd be a pain to do because you can't really make some automated shit to judge the bonus FL should give on each map, because you also have to think about spacing (maps like Marisa that have pretty much 2 patterns repeated during 3 minutes are way easier to FL than some jumpy thing).

---

BTW eldnl stfu Glass got some quite impressive FL scores, if he could do that I think memorizing some stupid TV Size map would be no trouble, since most of them are not only short but also easy and not that complicated.
me carga discutir por esta wea de juego, flashlight es mucho mas dificil que hr o hd en standard y en ctb ... tu simplemente hablas asi porque piensas que todos los que usan fl son hacks, pendejo de mierda ...

on-topic: flashlight should stay as it is, not because most of the cheaters uses flashlight hack we must remove or change it, that is just stupid and senseless ... it's like, let's delete osu, there are too many cheaters ...
Salvage

eldnl wrote:

derp herp.
Waryas
this is not a thread about fl hack accusation
this discussion is sterile and should be locked
Shiro
Yep, good idea. I see insults being fused, and this is going nowhere.