forum

Mouse Drift - Help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kruitana
Hi,

I play osu with mouse at 800 dpi (1x in-game) on a 36 x 30 mouse mat with a Logitech G502. I play 4 stars and above but seem to find on longer songs that I am getting quite a lot of mouse glide, depending on the how long a segment is it could be quite a lot. For example on Necro Fantasia (Chromoxx) I can get well over an inch in glide, and since there are are objects on almost all sides of my mouse mat, it begins to feel quite cramped.

Is there anything that I can do to remove this mouse glide or should I just try changing my sensitivity to 1200 to try an minimise the effect that this mouse glide has? I have already tried 'calibrating' the mouse in Logitech software too.
ADelicateOrange
Glide :?.

Umm... I guessing you mean like Mouse Accel. I don't believe OSU has mouse acceleration at all. However, I would suggest you go into your settings and make sure that absolute raw input is turned on.

Then, go into your Windows Control Panel => Search Mouse => Left Click Mouse => Left Click Pointer Options => Uncheck Enhance Pointer Precision. That kinda works like quasi-mouse acceleration, in crude terms.

You could also be over-reading or over-aiming. I use a G402 myself, sometimes, and I don't have those same gliding issues. Also, clean up your area :) it'll feel better, if you can of course.
Topic Starter
Kruitana

ADelicateOrange wrote:

Glide :?.

Umm... I guessing you mean like Mouse Accel. I don't believe OSU has mouse acceleration at all. However, I would suggest you go into your settings and make sure that absolute raw input is turned on.

I already have mouse acceleration turned off, but thanks for the heads up.

I mean, as I play my mouse slowly goes off centre; as in I can have my mouse in the exact centre of my mouse mat and screen, then play some without lifting my mouse up to re-position once, and if I put my mouse in the exact centre of my screen it is now on a different position on my mouse mat. This happens very slowly in general use too, but is much less noticeable.
Stanvord
This is called mouse drift and you need to just get used to it since you cant get rid of it.

You can try lifting your mouse every now and then to just reset it a little
Soo bin
I dont mean to discourage you but FlyingTuna who is rank 15 and a mouse player who uses the logitech g402 and also dpi 800 actually just made the switch to a tablet like 2 days ago purely because of mouse drift. Im just saying there is probably no solution for mouse drift but at least you can get to rank 15 before it limits you... :p
ManuelOsuPlayer
You can almost 100% delete mouse drift effects by good possition(so arm can play in a lot of different possitions and not only one) higher dpi, bigger mousepad, slipping mouse pad, slipping mouse bottom and less lineal aim. Also clean the mousepad and mouse bottom everyday to reduce friction.
If you play using muscle memory over follow points and flow aim you will have big mouse drift even with 4* maps.
Obviously with this settings it's way hardest and slower to get better aiming, but you will get there eventually.
Focus where your cursor is after each pattern, so you can adjust the small drift you get (1cm?) and aim that last circle to the middle.

If mouse dirft = X. (Let's say that so you get an idea.)
To me on a 720p screen resolution raw imput on:
800dpi, x = 100
1200dpi, x = 35
1400dpi x = 10
1600dpi x = 1
Sealio

Soo bin wrote:

I dont mean to discourage you but FlyingTuna who is rank 15 and a mouse player who uses the logitech g402 and also dpi 800 actually just made the switch to a tablet like 2 days ago purely because of mouse drift. Im just saying there is probably no solution for mouse drift but at least you can get to rank 15 before it limits you... :p

Wait, FlyingTuna switched?? Jesus that's sad. Azerite is a mouse player who is currently rank 10 although he has been very inactive this month it seems. (7 plays for the month of July) Mouse drift is something you will learn to deal with, it happens because the mouse will travel different distances to make the same jump on screen sometimes because we cannot always use the same exact pressure when moving the mouse. It's another variable to account for and why people view mouse to be more difficult or frustrating. I think mouse is extremely fun and I doubt I'll ever switch.
dung eater

Sealio wrote:

it happens because the mouse will travel different distances to make the same jump on screen sometimes because we cannot always use the same exact pressure when moving the mouse.

Pressure doesn't matter (if you mean accelation modern mice handle that well, too) and lenght you move doesn't really change, unless you use increased cursor precision which you shouldn't. The angle you hold mouse is probably the biggest contributor.

Using arm to aim might help to to reduce drift relative to the movement on pad making it easier to deal with.
Sealio

jaaakb wrote:

Pressure doesn't matter (if you mean accelation modern mice handle that well, too) and lenght you move doesn't really change, unless you use increased cursor precision which you shouldn't. The angle you hold mouse is probably the biggest contributor.

I'm confused on what exactly causes it then. If there was never a difference in the length you moved the mouse to make a certain jump on screen, wouldn't the issue not exist at all?
loveleft
it's caused by rotational movement of the mouse changing your cursor position without a 1:1 translation of its physical position. it accumulates as you rotate your mouse during play and eventually results in your mouse and cursor ending up in different places because they're not moving in sync.
dung eater
The angle of your mouse. You draw a triangle on screen, but if your mouse tilts a degree you are slightly off from starting point on pad, but not on screen.
Topic Starter
Kruitana
So, from this thread and then some testing it does appear to be caused almost entirely by the mouse rotating as you play, as loveleft suggests. This is quite interesting as it looks like it could be fixed by having the mouse track rotation too, although I doubt this would ever actually be done as it would cause confusion if you even lifted your mouse once.

Nonetheless, thanks for your guys' suggestions, and I think the best way to go is either tablet, or be conscious of your mouse rotation to try an minimise it.
ManuelOsuPlayer
With time your muscle memory deals with mouse drift and you don't even notice about drift. The problem now will be like side to side backandfort style patterns where you have to increase the amouth of energy to back, due to have to make mouse movment stop and move on opposite direction. Also at some patterns like a pentagono etc, you are going to accumultate power on the edges, making you add extra energy to don't "slip" out of the pattern or lose mouse control due to have to change the energy you use moving it.

You don't need a tablet, arm get used to correct it with time.
Get a tablet isn't a 100% solution, you will have to deal with grip and wrist pain. So if you decide to switch from mouse to tablet don't expect a free solution.
Everything needs time and keep trying it.
There people reaching high ranks what had to deal with the same than you and in a hardest way.
Imagine your drift in a 6* + DT.
I gave you small tips what work to me. Test a bit of everything and check what works to you.
KupcaH

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

With time your muscle memory deals with mouse drift and you don't even notice about drift.
Looks like top mouse players didn't play enough, because they're still facing mouse drift.
The Gambler
I mean, your arm does not replicate a CNC machine in which discrete X and Y axes are defined. Your fulcrum points (point in which your movements are based on) are defined by your wrist, elbow and shoulder.

Take the time to know how your aim actually works; for example, side-to-side cursor sweeps are not perfect since your wrist does not shift; it pivots. You correct for those imperfections using your fingers; for reference, watch FlyingTuna and FunOrange.

In short, think trigonometry since that's how your arm/wrist/elbow approximates the movements you want

ManuelOsuPlayer

KupcaH wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

With time your muscle memory deals with mouse drift and you don't even notice about drift.
Looks like top mouse players didn't play enough, because they're still facing mouse drift.
I'm not a top player i don't notice it anymore.
Maybe because my mouse and mousepad are better, maybe because i use 1600dpi on 720p, maybe because i spend a month playing only CS10 to control the dpi. Or what ever. But if i can play the game better than when i had 800 dpi, and not feel any drift anymore...
NewGameVector
The issue is probably caused by the diagonal movement since mice only know x and y and for diagonal movement, there seems to be an issue called circle drift. Go in paint and put your dpi way high and then draw a lot of circles in the same spot irl, see what happens in paint.
rqm

NewGameVector wrote:

The issue is probably caused by the diagonal movement since mice only know x and y and for diagonal movement, there seems to be an issue called circle drift. Go in paint and put your dpi way high and then draw a lot of circles in the same spot irl, see what happens in paint.
Next time you want to post something, please refrain from necroposting a 3 year old thread. Make a new thread instead
show more